Any Joy Division fans here?
Oct 11, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 48
They are my favorite band. "Ceremony" is my favorite song.

Oct 11, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 48
Well I am deeply engrossed on Isolation, Passover and 99% of the Closer album stuffs. And the sickeningly diabolical Love Will Tear Us Apart.

I just love those melancholic mood on Closer album than any of their earlier stuffs, very much a reflection of what Ian Curtis did to himself not long after the relese
plainface.gif

I put them alongside Nick Cave and SWANS in term on intensity and grimness. It's hard to find any other band that fall within the same genre, many have tried and failed. And the best part is that they have remained secluded from the rock glam spotlight and did not hide under the pretense of teenage angst which is overflowing in most bands nowadays. A very honest sounding band if you ask me.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 48
I love Joy Division. I followed the opposite path of you, first discovering Joy Division, actually through the movie 24 Hour Party People (which was an OK flick, but I am indebted to it for introducing me to Joy Division) and then moving on to the awesomeness of New Order. The transition the band made after Curtis's death is one of the most remarkable in the history of rock, IMO. Both bands are amazing, and both are absolutely seminal, for completely different reasons. For most fans, the Heart & Soul Boxed Set is all you'll ever need. It comes with both their studio albums, a lot of their early stuff under their original name, Warsaw, as well as a live disc and a disc full of b-sides, demos, and other knick-knacks. The book inside is cool, though the box itself is a bit flimsy. Still, well worth the purchase!

I love it when I "discover" a really incredible band that maybe I'd heard of but never really listened to, i.e. I just started listening to Frank Zappa. Woah! It is a great experience, and one I envy of you.

Unknown Pleasures is really amazing to listen to when you consider the guy who produced it was so crazy, he even had separate tracks for each different drum. So every drum was painstakingly recorded on a different track. This extreme instrument separation makes for the cold, distant feel of the entire record. BTW, make sure you check out the tune "Transmission" off of Unknown Pleasures (dance dance dance dance dance to the radio!!)

Generally my favorite Joy Division tracks are Disorder, Day Of The Lords, Atrocity Exhibition, Transmission, Isolation. The synth on Isolation is so freaking cool.
evil_smiley.gif

Enjoy!

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 48
You'll probably find that Joy Division is very popular here. Lots of music discussed that has roots in that sound, some direct, some not quite, but in retrospect, easily one of the most influential bands of the rock era, especially considering they really only put out two albums, and their "hit" song, that still amazing "Love Will Tear Us Apart", came after it was over.

Most of the newer bands following that sound don't quite have something, there's an epic feeling to Joy Division, a huge depth that is missing from a lot of artists. The Cure might have come closer than anyone to the greatness of JD with "Disintegration", a near timeless classic. The new one from Woven Hand called "Mosaic" that I've talked some about around here probably comes closest for me in recent times. Kind of a mix of Dead Can Dance and Joy Division, some Nick Cave and Johnny Cash, and some banjo, and some hellfire and damnation, sin and salvation. Record of the year, easy. At least that's my story in October ...
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
The new one from Woven Hand called "Mosaic" that I've talked some about around here probably comes closest for me in recent times. Kind of a mix of Dead Can Dance and Joy Division, some Nick Cave and Johnny Cash, and some banjo, and some hellfire and damnation, sin and salvation. Record of the year, easy. At least that's my story in October ...
tongue.gif

I don't mean to derail, but I'm reading about this album at amazon per your recommendation and it sounds so amazing. Looks like I'll have to buy it through a third party seller. I love it when amazon says the album will be available in "1 to 2 months". Lawlz.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield
I don't mean to derail, but I'm reading about this album at amazon per your recommendation and it sounds so amazing. Looks like I'll have to buy it through a third party seller. I love it when amazon says the album will be available in "1 to 2 months". Lawlz.

Bought mine from the label site a couple months ago at http://www.danielsonfamile.com/danie...sfamilyre.html ... $13 postpaid, either CD or LP, but amazon does show it in stock for the US release. You must've been looking at the import?

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 48
My friends and I were all blown away by Unknown Pleasures when it came out in 1979. I still have a pin with that cool album cover design on it. The garage band I was "managing" at the time played She's Lost Control and maybe others, in addition to covers from U2, Gang of Four, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. etc. Good times. I'm glad 24 Hour Party People has exposed them to people who only know New Order.

Oct 11, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

You'll probably find that Joy Division is very popular here. Lots of music discussed that has roots in that sound, some direct, some not quite, but in retrospect, easily one of the most influential bands of the rock era, especially considering they really only put out two albums, and their "hit" song, that still amazing "Love Will Tear Us Apart", came after it was over.

Most of the newer bands following that sound don't quite have something, there's an epic feeling to Joy Division, a huge depth that is missing from a lot of artists. The Cure might have come closer than anyone to the greatness of JD with "Disintegration", a near timeless classic. The new one from Woven Hand called "Mosaic" that I've talked some about around here probably comes closest for me in recent times. Kind of a mix of Dead Can Dance and Joy Division, some Nick Cave and Johnny Cash, and some banjo, and some hellfire and damnation, sin and salvation. Record of the year, easy. At least that's my story in October ...
tongue.gif

Hey Davey, I haven't seen a post from you in a million years. I hope everything is ok.

I'm surprised you didn't go into the whole Joy Division -> Interpol thing.

I'm a big JD fan, but I also think that they had a limited sound palette that they worked with...not as much range as some other post-punk/art rock bands. OTOH, no one can dispute their influence on legions of bands, and the fact that the music remains timeless.

Oct 11, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Hey Davey, I haven't seen a post from you in a million years. I hope everything is ok.

Million years, now that's a long time. Ya know, they say that mass extinction comes every 62 million years, wonder how many more posts I can get in before the big shebang? Everything OK with me. Doug and I exchange a lot of insightful and colorful observations in the neverending what's spinning thread, but don't wander around much beyond that ... http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...02#post2416302

Do people really say that Interpol sounds like Joy Division? Hehehe, must've missed that talk
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink

I'm surprised you didn't go into the whole Joy Division -> Interpol thing.

I'm a big JD fan, but I also think that they had a limited sound palette that they worked with...not as much range as some other post-punk/art rock bands. OTOH, no one can dispute their influence on legions of bands, and the fact that the music remains timeless.

I know Interpol is supposed to be the new Joy Division and what not, and I thought their album "Antics" was okay, but if I had to pick a great neo-Joy Division band, it would be I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness.

So long as we are talking about influential sounds, Gang Of Four was mentioned a few posts up. Wow, talk about seminal! A pre-cursor to the entire metal/funk RHCP/RATM thing in the early-nineties, which itself was a precursor to the *shudder* rap-rock thing of the mid to late nineties. Gang Of Four's "Entertainment" was my introduction to the now glaring fact that not only did some music in the late 70's, early 80's not suck, it was in fact some of the coolest music recorded to date.

I'm a big fan of The Fall. Now that is a band you can get obsessed with! Talk about a massive catalogue, and they are still writing great music today.

Oct 11, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
Well I am deeply engrossed on Isolation, Passover and 99% of the Closer album stuffs. And the sickeningly diabolical Love Will Tear Us Apart.

I just love those melancholic mood on Closer album than any of their earlier stuffs, very much a reflection of what Ian Curtis did to himself not long after the relese
plainface.gif

Be sure and get the Substance CD also, contains essential early tracks and EP material collected together, great CD!

Also I have the 4CD Heart and Soul collection which is for hardcore fans.

To prove my worthyness look at my system 1 photos........poster behind stereo rack is very cool Joy Division "love will tear us apart"

Oct 11, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield
So long as we are talking about influential sounds, Gang Of Four was mentioned a few posts up. Wow, talk about seminal! A pre-cursor to the entire metal/funk RHCP/RATM thing in the early-nineties, which itself was a precursor to the *shudder* rap-rock thing of the mid to late nineties. Gang Of Four's "Entertainment" was my introduction to the now glaring fact that not only did some music in the late 70's, early 80's not suck, it was in fact some of the coolest music recorded to date.

Yes, "Entertainment" is one of the best rock albums ever -- not just from that era. As much as I love it, I don't think the band had much to offer outside of it.

Mission of Burma also fits nicely in with Gang of Four......

Oct 11, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Million years, now that's a long time. Ya know, they say that mass extinction comes every 62 million years, wonder how many more posts I can get in before the big shebang? Everything OK with me. Doug and I exchange a lot of insightful and colorful observations in the neverending what's spinning thread, but don't wander around much beyond that ... http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...02#post2416302

Do people really say that Interpol sounds like Joy Division? Hehehe, must've missed that talk
wink.gif

Glad you're alive and well.

Not to thread-jack, but I hope you've heard the new Yo La Tengo album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back