Any ipod experts want to give some advice?
Jun 21, 2009 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nobodyimportant

New Head-Fier
Hi! I just got an Ipod Classic for father's day. I am wondering.... do I "have" to use itunes to manage it? In other words, is there a way I can just drag and drop files from my computer into it like I do with my Fuze? Or do you have a suggestion as to a good way of loading and managing the music? I'm still kind of a novice at this so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 20
You do not need to use iTunes. There are several other iPod managers out there...
No direct drag and drop using Explorer or Finder though.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 20
I use iTunes, no problem at all, but I have my iPod/iTunes set so that I manage the music manually. No syncing at all, no music in the iTunes library, and absolutely all the automatic stuff turned off. At that point, it becomes pretty much drag and drop in iTunes. Works fine and gives me complete flexibility.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 20
Thank you to all who answered. You told me what I needed to know.

I was just looking at the ipod manual on line and wanted to see how to use it manually. This is the first thing I see...

"To set iTunes to let you manage music and video on iPod classic manually:
1. In iTunes, select iPod classic in the source list and click the Summary tab."

I find nothing that says "source list"! I can see right off that this is likely to be like when I brought home that imac a couple of months ago. After fighting with it for a week trying to figure it out... back to apple it went! Why do these people have to make everything so confusing? Anyway, thank again to all.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 20
Why do people hate itunes? It is 100% easier to use itunes than it is to manually drag and drop files from explorer! Example:

Both of the following solutions are assuming that your MP3s are tagged and already stored in a logical manner on your PC. Artist>Album>Songs for example.

PROBLEM: I want to add 2 songs from Definitely Maybe by Oasis onto my Sansa Fuze
SOLUTION: Connect the fuze, create an Oasis folder, create a Definitely Maybe folder, copy the 2 songs required and paste into the Definitely Maybe folder.

PROBLEM: I want to add 2 songs from Definitely Maybe by Oasis onto my iPod touch.
SOLUTION: Connect the iPod, launch iTunes, click the 2 songs, drag to the ipod.

Please tell me if I am missing something here, or if you lot know something about file structures that I do not but SURELY it is a LOT easier with iTunes? So to say "I will not buy an ipod because of itunes" is absolute madness as far as Im concerned!

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people hate itunes? It is 100% easier to use itunes than it is to manually drag and drop files from explorer!

You must be high. Click, drag, and drop. Simple. None of this syncing nonsense.

Anytime you add a silly propreitary software program between you and your mp3 player - you add a layer of difficulty. The sheer fact that you NEED iTunes (or equivalent) to move YOUR FILES onto YOUR PLAYER is ridiculous.

Drag and drop is the only route I'll go.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 20
Apple software tends to be a good solution if you entirely go with the Apple way of doing things and don't try and fight it. If you entirely organise your music in iTunes and want your iPod to mimic your organisation in whole, or just some albums only, then it is brilliant. If you don't want your iPod to be a copy of your iTunes organisation, then you'll hate it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #14 of 20
I like command line.

run command
cd\documents and settings\my username\my music\flac\indie\oasis\wonderwall
h:
md\music\flac\indie\oasis\wonderwall
copy 1. roll with it.flac h:\music\flac\indie\oasis\wonderwall
copy 2. wonderwall.flac h:\music\flac\indie\oasis\wonderwall
exit

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must be high. Click, drag, and drop. Simple. None of this syncing nonsense.

Anytime you add a silly propreitary software program between you and your mp3 player - you add a layer of difficulty. The sheer fact that you NEED iTunes (or equivalent) to move YOUR FILES onto YOUR PLAYER is ridiculous.

Drag and drop is the only route I'll go.

Yeah, click drag drop AFTER you have created the folder structure on your device!! Also, synching is just the same as copying in windows! You my friend are crazy!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back