Any info on turntable and receiver?
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ubrikkean

New Head-Fier
My dad just gave me his turntable and the receiver he used with it. I know absolutely nothing about these, only that they are at least 20 years old.

The turntable is a JVC QL-FX5, and the receiver is a Denon DRA-355.

Currently I'm using them with my Audio-Technica ATH-A700's, and I like the sound. It's strikingly different from what I'm used to from my computer, I guess that's to be expected.

Any thoughts?

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 4
It's decent gear, just be sure that the phono cartridge's stylus is in good shape. I used to own one of the Denon DRA series, and thought it was superior stuff. Your father chose well.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ubrikkean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any thoughts?

Keep listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, learn how to wash records (there are a few methods for washing in the sink) or get a record cleaning machine.

Make sure your stylus is in good shape - replace it if necessary.

Check in at the Vinyl Engine for the service manual for your turntable. Replace the belt if it has one and change the bearing oil. I like to use Mobil One 5W-30 synthetic - available at any auto parts store. Make sure your table is perfectly level and that the cartridge is correctly aligned. Perform any other maintenance your deck requires.

If you don't have a good antenna for your tuner, make one.

And then do some more listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 4
How can I tell the condition of the stylus?

I definitely need to wash the records I'm using, a lot of them haven't been used in at least 30 years, they're very dusty.

Also, I'm wondering about the "Variable Loudness" control. It seems to change the quality of the sound somehow, but I don't want to mess with it until I'm sure what it's doing. It's numbered from 1-10 with zero being "flat". For now it's it at 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back