Any info on a Schiit Ragnarok update?
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nicholas Seltzer

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking to purchase a Schiit Ragnarok in the near future, but it's been out for a few years now and the Yggdrasil was recently updated. As it's quite an expensive piece of kit and the resale value would likely drop precipitously if there were a "Ragnarok 2", I'm hesitant to buy one at the moment.

I know Schiit keeps this stuff tight, but does anyone possibly have any info or rumors on a Ragnarok update?

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 15
Nothing concrete as far as I know, other than Jason having admitted that Ragnarok should have had a remote.
I wouldn't want to buy one without, just in case it's going to get assigned speaker duty at some point. However, Schiit's philosophy is to not change products unless the change is either trivial or a substantial improvement, and neither is the case here.
But I wouldn't be surprised if Jason already had prototypes for a Ragnarok 2, possibly with some Jotunheim influence, since that is currently the best measuring head amp they have. Some even prefer it over Ragnarok. So if you're looking for a head amp, I'd go with Jotunheim right now. Fairly cheap, easier to resell (especially with DAC module, I imagine) or reuse in a secondary system.

Be sure to ask on the Schiit happened thread, too, though.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Hi, thanks for the reply. I also feel like what it needs is a remote and a unity gain mode. that's my wish list.

I actually have a Jotunheim and a Mjolnir 2! But I heard the Ragnarok at the Schiitr and found it to be incredible. Of course it also had an Yggdrasil as a source so I can't be sure that wasn't what was making the difference.
Nothing concrete as far as I know, other than Jason having admitted that Ragnarok should have had a remote.
I wouldn't want to buy one without, just in case it's going to get assigned speaker duty at some point. However, Schiit's philosophy is to not change products unless the change is either trivial or a substantial improvement, and neither is the case here.
But I wouldn't be surprised if Jason already had prototypes for a Ragnarok 2, possibly with some Jotunheim influence, since that is currently the best measuring head amp they have. Some even prefer it over Ragnarok. So if you're looking for a head amp, I'd go with Jotunheim right now. Fairly cheap, easier to resell (especially with DAC module, I imagine) or reuse in a secondary system.

Be sure to ask on the Schiit happened thread, too, though.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Aah, okay! What DAC are you using now?
I have the Gungnir Multibit, which of course looks so fabulous stacked with the Mjolnir. My gut tells me that there's going to be a bigger jump from the Mjolnir to the Rag than from the Gumby to the Yggy, but who knows. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me switch anything around at the Schiitr.

The Jot really is a great amp, tho. I think the Mjolnir is clearly the better of the two but it's a lot closer than I expected. Hearing the Ragnarok was in a whole other league. Just magical.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Yeah i feel you, mate. Prices are likely to drop if V2 comes out. Happened to me too a few times. Thats why im more careful now.

No info as of now. But prob better to wait it out a bit. Dacs are more likely to get upgraded than amps though.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 15
Yeah i feel you, mate. Prices are likely to drop if V2 comes out. Happened to me too a few times. Thats why im more careful now.

No info as of now. But prob better to wait it out a bit. Dacs are more likely to get upgraded than amps though.
I think this is what I'm going to do. I kind of agree with what Alcaphone was saying.. the most glaring omission in the Ragnarok is the lack of a remote. This would be quite valuable to me and may even allow me to sell my Bryston preamp. (If it also had a unity gain mode it would be a perfect solution and I'd be all over it). In the meantime, maybe I'll think about upgrading to the Yggdrasil, which was just updated.

Jan 21, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 15
So far I'm not even sure I have heard differences between DACs, though there was something that seemed different when I tried the Gumby at the California Audio Show. But I have definitely heard differences in amplifiers, in much lower price ranges. So my hunch is also that most of the difference you heard with Yggy/Ragnarok is probably due to the amp, not the DAC.
I'm getting my Yggy soon, though. If I still don't hear a difference then, I'm done worrying about DACs :-D

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 15
You're lucky you can afford one. I can't even afford a Gumby, let alone the Yggy.

Gud luck! Let us know how the Yggy is.
Yeah...hehe. Over the course of the next 7 - 9 months I can potentially get both of them but it won't be without a lot of sacrifice. While my girlfriend is away at grad school I try to live on $30 per week of food, which is very challenging. #AudiophileGoals

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 15
So far I'm not even sure I have heard differences between DACs, though there was something that seemed different when I tried the Gumby at the California Audio Show. But I have definitely heard differences in amplifiers, in much lower price ranges. So my hunch is also that most of the difference you heard with Yggy/Ragnarok is probably due to the amp, not the DAC.
I'm getting my Yggy soon, though. If I still don't hear a difference then, I'm done worrying about DACs :-D
I love DACs, They're pretty much my favorite part to test and upgrade because the difference they make is so interesting to me. Often I can't tell the difference doing quick A/Bing back and forth--especially with headphones--because the difference they make is (for me) is only apparent when standing back and "listening from a distance". I mean, rather than trying to focus on the tiniest differences in the way a crash or guitar string sounds, but to sit back and listen to the overall presentation of a song. Only then do I discover that there is all this space between instruments and that they're arranged holophonically in front of me in 3 dimensions. There is not only left and right, but some things are closer to me than other things. On a bad DAC, I think the same low-level details are audible and if we don't know any different we accept them as just some quieter part of the composition. But with a great DAC those details aren't exactly "quieter", per se, but merely a bit further back on the stage. There is even some up/down spatial imaging. Sometimes I'll discover that a sound panning from left to right isn't actually a straight line, but has an off-axis curve to it. With a great DAC, I close my eyes and it's like magic is happening in front of me. In my experience, DACs tend to make a larger difference on speaker systems because the soundstage is so much larger, but even with cans there is just more presence. I love 'em.

I have a really great track I use for testing DACs. If you want it, I'll send it to you.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 15
I love DACs, They're pretty much my favorite part to test and upgrade because the difference they make is so interesting to me. Often I can't tell the difference doing quick A/Bing back and forth--especially with headphones--because the difference they make is (for me) is only apparent when standing back and "listening from a distance". I mean, rather than trying to focus on the tiniest differences in the way a crash or guitar string sounds, but to sit back and listen to the overall presentation of a song. Only then do I discover that there is all this space between instruments and that they're arranged holophonically in front of me in 3 dimensions. There is not only left and right, but some things are closer to me than other things. On a bad DAC, I think the same low-level details are audible and if we don't know any different we accept them as just some quieter part of the composition. But with a great DAC those details aren't exactly "quieter", per se, but merely a bit further back on the stage. There is even some up/down spatial imaging. Sometimes I'll discover that a sound panning from left to right isn't actually a straight line, but has an off-axis curve to it. With a great DAC, I close my eyes and it's like magic is happening in front of me. In my experience, DACs tend to make a larger difference on speaker systems because the soundstage is so much larger, but even with cans there is just more presence. I love 'em.

I have a really great track I use for testing DACs. If you want it, I'll send it to you.
Thanks, that is encouraging! I look forward to joining the club of DAC appreciaters :wink:
I'd like that test song, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back