Any idea where I can get tube reviews?
Oct 4, 2004 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
Rather new to the tube game so need some guidance.

I was thinking of retubing my Sonic Frontiers Linestage 3 with either Tesla ECC88 or Sovtek 6922 and needed to know what sonic characteristics both have in preamps. Since the unit uses 10 tubes, it would be an expensive experiment if I went into one of the choices blind!

Thank you in advance!

Amit
PS: In case it matters, the rest of my system is a Sony SCD-1 > Sonic Frontiers (for preamp and headamp for now)> Sennheiser HD650

Oct 4, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi, to point you to a reliable source: Joe's tube lore over at audio asylum.
It's tubes forum can also be searched for impressions/reviews of tubes.
Also do not forget there can be some reviews found here on head-fi if you use search.

Oct 4, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
Hi, to point you to a reliable source: Joe's tube lore over at audio asylum.
It's tubes forum can also be searched for impressions/reviews of tubes.
Also do not forget there can be some reviews found here on head-fi if you use search.

Thanks! I tried that... but Tesla ECC88s are not mentioned it seems! Thanks for the info however!

Oct 4, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
Nope. Is it possible that Tesla ECC88 has another name? Or possibly it is such a lousy tube no one bothers with it.... hmmmm.

The Tesla/JJ E88CC is still in production, and IIRC is a decent tube. Definitely better than the JAN Philips 6922's that used to come stock with Musical Fidelity X-Can. Note that this is a 6922. The ECC88 would be a 6DJ8, and have a shorter power handling capacity and life expectancy. Triode Electronics carries it.

Oct 5, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The Tesla/JJ E88CC is still in production, and IIRC is a decent tube. Definitely better than the JAN Philips 6922's that used to come stock with Musical Fidelity X-Can. Note that this is a 6922. The ECC88 would be a 6DJ8, and have a shorter power handling capacity and life expectancy. Triode Electronics carries it.

Thank your Hirsch! Can you possibly also tell me the relative qualities of the Tesla ECC88 and the Sovtek 6922? I have a choice of either of them going into my Sonic Frontiers Linestage 3. I know they will be your personal views but that would still be a great help for me... I have no clue about tubes... just starting out....

Thanks in advance!

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Thank your Hirsch! Can you possibly also tell me the relative qualities of the Tesla ECC88 and the Sovtek 6922? I have a choice of either of them going into my Sonic Frontiers Linestage 3. I know they will be your personal views but that would still be a great help for me... I have no clue about tubes... just starting out....

It's been a long time since I listened to those tubes. In the X-Can v2, the strong point of the JJ was the midrange, which was warm and full. The Sovtek had stronger frequency extremes, but sounded comparatively thin. I couldn't say which was better then, IIRC, so I wouldn't dare hazard a guess now. Also bear in mind that tube sound depends on the circuit they're in, so the tubes in the SF gear may sound very different what I recall from the X-Can.

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 13
here

[size=xx-small]That's a "find all posts by Hirsch" search, BTW.[/size]

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I have a choice of either of [Tesla ECC88 and the Sovtek 6922] going into my Sonic Frontiers Linestage 3.

The Sovtek 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes are the least liked by Audiophiles. They are loved by manufacturers because they are robust and produced with tight quality control. (Less rejects, thus better cost control) But as stated by others, the problem with Sovteks is that they sound thin and cold. I would describe them as soul-less. Most people would try to find some good NOS tubes. But it gets expensive as the SF Line 3 takes something like 8 of these. (I followed some discussion threads on the Line 3 for a while as I was interested in getting myself one of these)

You might want to do some search on Tube Asylum for more information about retubing the Line 3. If I remember correctly, many have retube the first pair with some good NOS tubes, and use Sovtek 6922s for the remaining six. This way, you get some good sounds from your Line 3 at a much more "affordable" cost.

If you are new to tubes, get the tubes from a reliable dealer. I believe you will need matched pairs or quads.

FrankC

Oct 5, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 13
For the Sonic Frontiers preamps the best tubes in my opinion are the NOS Amperex Bugle Boys followed by the equally hard to find Telefunken DIamond Bottoms...In my experience the difference in the quality of the sound of these tubes vs the current production chinese tubes etc is FAR AND AWAY greater than the difference between say the NOS Tung Sol Round Plate 6sn7 and the current production Electro Harmonix....that is to say that the Electro Harmonix aren't bad, they just pale before the Tung Sols etc....where as compared to the Amperex Bugle Boys or Telefunken Diamond Bottoms in the SF line circuit (or the Audible Issusions circuit for that matter) the current production 6dj8s are BAAAAAAD.

My opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back