Any idea about this new headphone ?
Jul 21, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 27
I'm suspicious. Seems everyday some upstart is trying to lure people in with the promise to cure the headphone chimera.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 27
Whenever you hear about a hybrid electrostat, what's really going on is that it is an electret driver plus a dynamic driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Electret

An electret driver functions along the same electromechanical means as an electrostatic driver. However the electret driver has a permanent charge built into it, where electrostatics have the charge applied to the driver by an external generator. Electret and electrostatic headphones are relatively uncommon. Original electrets were also typically cheaper and lower in technical capability and fidelity than electrostatics. Patent applications from 2009-2013 have been approved that show by using different materials,i.e. a "Fluorinated cyclic olefin electret film", Frequency response chart readings can reach 50 kHz at 100db.When these new improved electrets are combined with a traditional dome headphone driver, Headphones can be produced that are recognised by the Japan Audio Society as worthy of joining the Hi Res Audio program.US patents 8,559,660 B2. 7,732,547 B2.7,879,446 B2.7,498,699 B2 .

I had an electret once: a STAX SR-30. For something that is under $100 on the used market, the transparency is magical...but it's nowhere near as good as a full-fledged electrostat.

Combining electret and dynamic drivers enables you to use conventional electronics instead of having to connect to electrostatic amps, electret converters, and the like. The ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 is another example of a headphone that employs this dynamic/electret hybrid technology. I wish they would be more honest in the marketing and explain that it's not like real electrostatics, and just a dynamic/electret. But most people don't know what electret even means, so...

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 27
They LOOK cheap. May sound good, but aesthetically, they look cheap. Sounds like a gimmick, but who knows, this could be the future.

I'll pass for now, but I will keep an eye out on more reviews, and may "sink my teeth" into these one day.

.... Please don't stone me over that pun.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 27
  Is there technology limitation on electrostatic headphones using a 3.5MM jack or are you saying it is just not the standard way they are made?

See my post above. Since it is an electret driver and not a normal electrostat, it has more limitations in technical performance. On the other hand, there are arguable sonic benefits in having an additional dynamic driver for lower frequencies, and definite practical benefits in being able to use conventional electronics and connections.

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 27
Send2007 is correct. The headphones are  built by in2uit (verisonix).

The Bravo Headphones were developed utilizing hybrid electrostatic technology created by VeriSonix Corp. Electrostatic headphones are universally accepted as the best in the business, with only the most hardcore professionals using them - DJs, recording studios, and film executives. VeriSonix created a solution that removes the bulk of the amplifier while still preserving the quality of the sound. The team at VeriSonix tested various materials, resulting in the current version of the hybrid electrostatic technology. Working with VeriSonix, Sharkk has created a hybrid electrostatic headphone that produces beautiful sound in a sophisticated design.

I would like to see some measurements of bravo vs in2uit n100b. They say bravo's are different but don't really crarify how. "We perfected the sound" is a bit vague...

Bravo is not the first to rebrand in2uit headphones. Mitchell & Johnson has done it too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/776806/mitchell-and-johnson-hp1

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 27
I was really sceptical about these but then I realized the akg k340 has a similar configuration to this. The headphone being rebranded for crowd funding really makes me distrust them like meze in the past, I'd rather try the in2uit n100b as mentioned by the others

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 27
Ya know, although there's no way this headphone could compete with STAX in sound quality, it's a step in an interesting direction because it's the first electret/dynamic hybrid I know of that doesn't cost a lot and can be used with everyday electronics.

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 27
Ya know, although there's no way this headphone could compete with STAX in sound quality, it's a step in an interesting direction because it's the first electret/dynamic hybrid I know of that doesn't cost a lot and can be used with everyday electronics.

I've heard of used k340s going for less than $80 second hand, but now they are currently sitting around $150 as of now. The k340s can be used with everyday electronics as well. If I get the k340's I will definitely get one of these taiwanese rebrands to compare

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 27
I've heard of used k340s going for less than $80 second hand, but now they are currently sitting around $150 as of now. The k340s can be used with everyday electronics as well. If I get the k340's I will definitely get one of these taiwanese rebrands to compare

Ah, yeah. I should've said only in-production headphone I know of like that. But I heard the K340 is really hard to drive, so that's not everyday electronics per se.

Know what's odd? AKG also released an in-ear headphone called the K 340. I don't get why audio companies release completely different products with almost exactly the same name. Another example is the STAX SRM-212 electrostatic headphone amp (which I used to own) and the STAX SRM212, an upcoming electrostatic amp/DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back