Any hope for browsing by Genre -> Album insead of Genre -> Song?
Nov 19, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #16 of 27
@FiiO-Shadow While I understand you can't please everyone when making software, the 6 above reviews and comments point to the preferred solution as NOT being what FiiO currently does with Genre -> Song.  Many reviewers and posters I've linked to prefer Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Song.

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #17 of 27
Sorry, found another comment inside the same review.  This reviewer brings it up 3 separate times.

UI conclusion:

Overall – if the Apple (think latest Touch or iPhone) UI is a 10 (and that’s what I’d give it) – this initial fw release would come in about a solid 7-8 for me.  It’s very usable, and has plenty of features. I do think it could be (and should be) improved though – especially with the Song and Genre tagged selections.

Final review conclusion:

I’d give the X5ii a solid 4.5 stars (value and features).  They could easily get a 5 stars if they would finally fix the Genre / All Songs category issues.  C’mon Fiio – you know you can! 

I'm sure I could find a dozen more of these but I hope I've proven my point to FiiO that there is clearly a correct way to do genre browsing.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #21 of 27
From a Comparison of Fiio X5 vs. Cowon J3:

The UI also has a number of weird limitations when compared to the J3. For instance, when browsing by genre it will bring up a list of all tracks, not giving you the option to view albums in the genre.

and

Still, how they managed to come up with a UI so mediocre, given it’s (in their words) “forged from years of experience and feedback” is a mystery to me. Surely the designers have used other products before? Or even operated an Mp3 player?

My feelings exactly, and not just about the genre list.  I say this because I want to like Fiio's players so badly.  The build build and audio quality are excellent.  It's just the last 10% of UI tweaking that is really holding back the experience and keeping me from buying.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #23 of 27
has anyone had a problem with the x5 creating different id3  tags??  I use tag&rename and have renamed my id3 tags on flac and mp3 files and for some reason the x5 2nd gen renames the genres so that when I load the new files in the player, it renames it to something other than the genre that I've tagged it with.  I go back to look at the id3 tag in tag&rename and it still displays the genre that I've named it yet, when played in the x5, it renames it to an unknown or a different genre.  For example, I rename the genre that was assigned to it from classic rock to rock and in tag&rename, it displays as rock, but when you look at it through the x5 genres, it displays it as classic rock.  Any fix for this?

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 27
  has anyone had a problem with the x5 creating different id3  tags??  I use tag&rename and have renamed my id3 tags on flac and mp3 files and for some reason the x5 2nd gen renames the genres so that when I load the new files in the player, it renames it to something other than the genre that I've tagged it with.  I go back to look at the id3 tag in tag&rename and it still displays the genre that I've named it yet, when played in the x5, it renames it to an unknown or a different genre.  For example, I rename the genre that was assigned to it from classic rock to rock and in tag&rename, it displays as rock, but when you look at it through the x5 genres, it displays it as classic rock.  Any fix for this?

Hi, gameguru1360.

As for the issue of ID3tag, pls check this thread firstly: click here
Pls use the MP3tag to confirm whether there is APEv2 tag on your songs firstly. If there is, pls remove APEv2 tag by following the way mentioned on that thread. 

If it still can not help, pls provide some related songs for testing. Of course, you can send them to me by private message directly.  :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #25 of 27
I did find some ape tags and removed them, but I still have flac files that have put themselves in their own genre or set themselves up in an "unknown genre".  I'm still baffled as to what's going on.  I've checked those tags which say flac and I've assigned them to certain genres, yet they still show up as uunknown

By the way, I'm using the x5 2nd gen with the last official firmware

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #26 of 27
  I did find some ape tags and removed them, but I still have flac files that have put themselves in their own genre or set themselves up in an "unknown genre".  I'm still baffled as to what's going on.  I've checked those tags which say flac and I've assigned them to certain genres, yet they still show up as uunknown

By the way, I'm using the x5 2nd gen with the last official firmware

Hi, gameguru1360.

I already replied you on another thread, and pls check it : click here
smile.gif

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #27 of 27
Well I tried deleting all the flac tags on one memory card and then it took a long time to repopulate those tags, but I still get unknown album, unknown artist, unknown genre and now I get weird files that can't be located on the memory card, yet show up in the player.  I even tried reformatting the card using the x5 before I reimported the songs and I also did a reset media library and factory reset.

I also tried downgrading from firmware v2.1 to 1.1 when I had no problems with genres showing up as unknown.

What's weird is that the files that show unknown artist, unknown title, unkown genre actually do display the proper tags in both mp3tag and tag&rename so I'm lost.

I may be looking at another hi res media player and have only owned this x5 ii for 10 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back