Any hope for browsing by Genre -> Album insead of Genre -> Song?
Jul 29, 2015 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

flight16

New Head-Fier
Browsing by genre is currently realistically unsuable because all tracks are returned, not artists or albums.  I have read this has been around years.

The following quote explains it well:

2) The "Artist" music menu is very well done. The programmers realized that someone might have, say, the entire Pink Floyd back catalog on their unit and doing "Artist-Song" navigation would be really stupid. Good for them. Well - guess what they did with "Genre", which has categories that are generally even bigger than "Artist". "Genre-Song" for navigation? Really? Can we please have at least "Genre-Album-Song" and preferably "Genre-Artist-Album-Song" for navigation from the Genre submenu? I have a genre for "Progressive Rock". It has all of my Pink Floyd in it, all of Porcupine Tree in it, all of my Yes, all of my Steven Wilson. HUNDREDS of albums. Can you imagine how many songs that is. How useful do you think the "Genre" navigation is as currently implemented?  
I can see that the X5 firmware has been making great strides from release to release, and so I am hopeful for continued improvement. The migration from having a "file-based" user experience, which is a logical starting point, to a "Tag-based" user experience, which is actually what most users want, is well underway - it just needs to keep going, because "it ain't soup yet."

I would like a choice of artist or album, because for me, album is much preferrable (I don't remember artists of movie soundtracks, for example.  I want to select "Soundtrack" from genres, and then the album.

This has also come up in every review I have read of FiiO players.

Can somebody from FiiO comment on where this is on the roadmap?

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 27
This ^^^^^^ !!!!!!

Would make tagged browsing actually useful.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 27
Hi, I am from FiiO company, and we will record the suggestion from you guys, and pass them to our engineers. But please be noted that, we may not please everyone, because after all, everyone has different ideas. But we will try our best to improve our products.
Thanks for your support. :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 27
I don't think the current method is COMPLETELY useless as it does allow you to play a genre on shuffle very easily. It is clear, however, that the same could be said for Genre>Artist>Album>Song and just have a category for "all songs" for people like me who like to shuffle-play a genre on the go.

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 27
Hey FiiO,

Another user explains the same issue in his review of the X7:

The biggest issue I have with it is the default sorting where songs are jumbled together rather than having a strict Genre > Artist > Album > Track# sorting hierarchy.  Besides the DAC implementation, in my view this hierarchy issue should be the number one issue their software engineers should be working on.

It is the only reason why I haven't purchased a FiiO.

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 27
And another...

Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not have the Genre menu going straight to song? Do you have any conception how unmanagable this is when you have, say, 1500 “Progressive Rock” songs or 1200 “Classical” songs installed on the box? If you look at mature DAP implementations, most use a "Genre-Artist-Album-Song" scheme (so really “genre” is just a filter on the “Artist” menu (which you implemented beautifully other than the compilation issue noted above). A few crappier implementations do “Genre-Album-Song” which is not great - but at least not as completely useless as “Genre-Song”, which is what we presently have on the X5.

[this improvement...]  would significantly improved the end-user experience navigating large collections on the device.

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 27
Another...

...the drill down options on the category menu, particularly in genre mode are still stuck in the same format since day 1 which is Genre>Songs. The obvious problem with that is that if you have one genre with a few thousand songs under different albums and artists you really loose that essential second and third step that say Apple give you with the iPod where you can search by Artist and Album before you think about songs.

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 27
Still more...

Selecting by genre collects all the tagged genres together, but then lists everything in one massive selection by number first, then alpha – so for me, all my “01 filename” tags get bunched together, then “02 filename” etc.  Unless you plan on putting things in shuffle mode, it makes the genre selection useless.  It needs to be sorted by artist and album first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back