Any high end headphone as best as ADAM MP 1 Mastering piece studio monitor?
Sep 7, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #31 of 45
Interesting. I reach for my HP1000 over my Qualia 010 when I wear glasses. Guess it's that finicky Qualia 010 fit.

I think I've said it before, but out of all the headphones I own, for monitoring purposes I would choose them in the following order:

Stax SR-X mk 3
Grado HP1000

AKG K 1000

Qualia 010

(big gap)

everything else.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
Seconded......controversial as it might seem, the X-III is the only phone I know of that gets timbre basically right. Of course, there are a ton of top phones that I've never heard and I'd imagine there are a few more out there.

My experience is the same. While there are headphones that are overall better than the SR-X (most rather pricey), I've yet to hear any speaker or headphone so spot-on with respect to timbre and harmonic complexity.

Sep 7, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #33 of 45
omg, how come nobody has said the K701 yet?
confused.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrent

I would like to buy a transparency,netrual sound headphone to listen music ,the sound as best as ADAM MP1 studio monitor.

I found on the web,many high end headphone

Sony Q010,SA 5000
Ultrasone edition7,Pro2500,Pro750
Grado PS-1,GS1000,RS-1
Audio technica w1000
Stax omegaII
beyerdynamic DT880 2005edition,DT 150,DT990pro, DT48
Senhensier hd 650,Hd 250 linear

Which headphone of the sound as best as ADAM MP1?
Any comment and any other choice?

Thanks

there is no headphone that offers the same "sound" as a loudspeaker. and vice versa.

for mixing/mastering, you cannot live without monitors--headphones are no substitute. anyone who tells you otherwise obviously has no experience in the field.

btw, that adam speaker is probably good (i've not heard one yet), but is definitely not The Reference of all pro monitors. did you audition one by chance?

anyway, if you are gonna be doing any kind of sound engineering, you're gonna need both--the monitors, and some good headphones. i recommend the Sony MDR-7506... they are not the best sounding, but are the industry standard for a reason.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
My experience is the same. While there are headphones that are overall better than the SR-X (most rather pricey), I've yet to hear any speaker or headphone so spot-on with respect to timbre and harmonic complexity.

Which, given my obsession with timbre, is why I rate them my all-time faves despite their weaknesses (lack of frequency extremes, lack of image height).

However, even timbrally, they're not perfect. There is a slight softening and beautifying of texture, mainly due to a lack of focus and incisiveness in the top octave. Nothing sounds ugly through the X-III and I'm not sure if this is right. Surely there ARE some ugly-sounding recordings out there?

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Which, given my obsession with timbre, is why I rate them my all-time faves despite their weaknesses (lack of frequency extremes, lack of image height).

However, even timbrally, they're not perfect. There is a slight softening and beautifying of texture, mainly due to a lack of focus and incisiveness in the top octave. Nothing sounds ugly through the X-III and I'm not sure if this is right. Surely there ARE some ugly-sounding recordings out there?

All electrostatics seem to have that beautifying effect, so it'd be unfair to single out the SR-X for it.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

I think I'm also obsessed with timbre (which I call texture). What other cans do you like?

Best,

-Jason

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I think I'm also obsessed with timbre (which I call texture). What other cans do you like?

Best,

-Jason

We need a "team timbre".

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

None really.........but I haven't heard that many top phones. Maybe an Orpheus. I briefly heard a set once and thought they were good but about twenty times too expensive. Even most stats I've heard I found pretty unrealistic in tone-colour with the Jecklin Float Electrostatic being the worst.

The Sennheiser HD600 wasn't too bad; tone-colours were rather muted and homogenized but at least it didn't fake them.

I actually hear things as a sort of sonic analogue of colour (I don't mean I hear a sound as "red" or "blue" but it's sort of a halfway-house between visual and sonic). The experience is immediate and primary, not something I mull about, and it seems so obvious..except when a fellow auditioner wonders what the hell I'm talking about!

Listening to most headphones and speakers, it's as if I'm listening to the colour switched off - analogous to turning the colour down on the TV. It's as if everything is in shades of grey. That's why the select few phones and speakers that sound as if they're in colour stick out from the crowd so much.

MMMMM, having read what I've just written I wonder if maybe I'm a little nuts.......but I swear it's true! Scout's Honour!

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #41 of 45
How new beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO compare with STAX Omega II,Sony Q010,Grado PS-1,audio-technica L3000?

What is the imrovement of new beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO compare with old one?

Is it means PRO studio model better than consumer model?

How beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO compare with ADAM MP1 studio monitor?

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Head...ctdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=1851&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=93&cHash=cef9b324c4

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

What is the performance of New sony 7509HD?
The spec. of the headphone :5-80,000Hz

Do you perfer stax omega II ,sony Q010 ,beyerdynamic DT48/150 and Grado PS1 instead of ultrasone proline 750/2500 ?

I found Grado RS1 ,sony Q010 and stax omegaII colourate the sound.
A lot of high end headphone colourate the sound especially mid to hi frequency.Anyone have this experience?

Any headphone produce the sound as close as ADAM MP1 studio monitor?

I don't know what the Adam Mp1 studio monitors sound like, but I would strongly recommend the Sony MDR-7506 headphone. It's primarily used in studio's and its marketed for such work.

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

I would like to buy a transparency,netrual sound headphone to listen music ,the sound as best as ADAM MP1 studio monitor.

I found on the web,many high end headphone

Sony Q010,SA 5000
Ultrasone edition7,Pro2500,Pro750
Grado PS-1,GS1000,RS-1
Audio technica w1000
Stax omegaII
beyerdynamic DT880 2005edition,DT 150,DT990pro, DT48
Senhensier hd 650,Hd 250 linear

Which headphone of the sound as best as ADAM MP1?
Any comment and any other choice?

Thanks

If you want a headphone that sounds more like a studio monitor, the K1000's where it's at. Its bass rolls off on the low low end, but what bass it has is still great, and with excellent impact. You need a power amp to run it well, though, so keep that in mind.

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
omg, how come nobody has said the K701 yet?
confused.gif

Why would they?

Yeah, I'm addicted to texture / timbre (however you define it) as well. K1000's got great texture. So does the HP1000 / RS1. Wouldn't mix with an RS1 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back