Any high end headphone as best as ADAM MP 1 Mastering piece studio monitor?
Aug 21, 2006 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

warrent

New Head-Fier

I would like to buy a transparency,netrual sound headphone to listen music ,the sound as best as ADAM MP1 studio monitor.

I found on the web,many high end headphone

Sony Q010,SA 5000
Ultrasone edition7,Pro2500,Pro750
Grado PS-1,GS1000,RS-1
Audio technica w1000
Stax omegaII
beyerdynamic DT880 2005edition,DT 150,DT990pro, DT48
Senhensier hd 650,Hd 250 linear

Which headphone of the sound as best as ADAM MP1?
Any comment and any other choice?

Thanks

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrent

I would like to buy a transparency,netrual sound headphone to listen music ,the sound as best as ADAM MP1 studio monitor.

I found on the web,many high end headphone

Sony Q010,SA 5000
Ultrasone edition7,Pro2500,Pro750
Grado PS-1,GS1000,RS-1
Audio technica w1000
Stax omegaII
beyerdynamic DT880 2005edition,DT 150,DT990pro, DT48
Senhensier hd 650,Hd 250 linear

Which headphone of the sound as best as ADAM MP1?
Any comment and any other choice?

Thanks

Of those listed above I have the Ultrasone Proline 750 which is amazing. I wouldn't call it 100% neutral but it's about as close as I've heard with headphones. It creates a diffuse field and produces a better soundstage than I have ever heard from headphones. The bass goes right down too, I'd say down to about 13Hz before it bottoms out.

I'd say soundstage wise, the Proline 750/2500 is probably your best value for money. You can spend a lot more and get a little better sound, but I've heard most of the above. The Omega were nice. The Qualia were phenomenal, but they didn't justify the asking price in my honest opinion. I put that money towards a nice DAW setup, and got the 750 Prolines. Much better choice for me. If I wanted to buy nearfield monitors in the future, I wouldn't look past Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1 sub+sat system. The imaging on this MediaDesk system is very nice and the bass response and neutrality of this setup is amazing.

That ADAM mastering piece is a damned expensive speaker. But the 750 Prolines can get very close to it, but you'd want to have really good recordings. MP3s won't cut it, they have to be lossless or non-compressed ala WAV files. The quality of the recordings becomes very evident when listened to through the 750s (and 2500s) and they are as close to studio monitors that I have come for a headphone. For this purpose they beat every other headphone out there, the closed-design 750s beat most open headphones in my humble opinion.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 45
If you are looking for neutrality and transparency then look no further than a Grado HP-1000.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 45
The prolines right now are widely used in recording studiosn and they are gaining day by day more addicts among the recording engineers...Ultrasone 750 closed and the 2500 open....

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 45
Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet! Agreed, find a Grado HP1000, either the HP1, HP2 or HP3 (best chances are to find a HP2). Used ones crop up here and on audiogon and rarely on ebay. Figuring how much studio stuff is worth, a pair of cans under $1500 isn't going to break your bank, and it's going to give you a ruthless monitoring of what's going on in your master. Happy hunting!

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 45
Guys don't forget that a recording engineer needs to wear those heapdhones for hours, everyday, those are the "tools of the trade" for them, and the HP-1000 despite the sound, are extremelly and horribly uncomfortable and a little heavy as well...to the point that I'm not sure to which studios he sold those in the past, (same as now the PS-1, a completelly bass heavy heapdhone) but it must be during WWII, as IIRC at that time, there were literally hundreds of other, a lot more comfortable, headphones around, in the market as well...

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Guys don't forget that a recording engineer needs to wear those heapdhones for hours, everyday, those are the "tools of the trade" for them, and the HP-1000 despite the sound, are extremelly and horribly uncomfortable and a little heavy as well...to the point that I'm not sure to which studios he sold those in the past, (same as now the PS-1, a completelly bass heavy heapdhone) but it must be during WWII, as IIRC at that time, there were literally hundreds of other, a lot more comfortable, headphones around, in the market as well...

In your opinion the HP-1000 is uncomfortable. I don't have a problem with the comfort.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 45
What is the performance of New sony 7509HD?
The spec. of the headphone :5-80,000Hz

Do you perfer stax omega II ,sony Q010 ,beyerdynamic DT48/150 and Grado PS1 instead of ultrasone proline 750/2500 ?

I found Grado RS1 ,sony Q010 and stax omegaII colourate the sound.
A lot of high end headphone colourate the sound especially mid to hi frequency.Anyone have this experience?

Any headphone produce the sound as close as ADAM MP1 studio monitor?

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 45
Koss Pro4AA Ti. With a bit of breaking-in time (40-50 hours), this one is very neutral and transparent. Oh, and just about any phone gets uncomfortable after a while (1-2 hours), even IEM's.

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
In your opinion the HP-1000 is uncomfortable. I don't have a problem with the comfort.

Well if you consider my oinion as an isolated one, just ask Nik and Serving in Ecuador.....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

IMO? Well yes, and in others as well, actually many many others, I could do an extensive list, of a bunch of headfiers that I know off, that had even sold it becasue they can not tolerate them after a few minutes in their heads, and they did liked the sound...others did not like the sound (me inlcuded) and feel it uncomfortable as well, and of course there will be always others that will like it and tolerate it, or at least say so...but that is not the center point of this discussion anyway....and the last thing I want is to make it as such...

Another thing to consider is the avaialability, they are nowadays almost imposible to get, and if you do, they are extremely expensive as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
Koss Pro4AA Ti. With a bit of breaking-in time (40-50 hours), this one is very neutral and transparent. Oh, and just about any phone gets uncomfortable after a while (1-2 hours), even IEM's.

That is not true, maybe in the case of IEM it applies as well, but just ot mention one, I use the CD3000, and I can use it for two days in row with no problems, maybe a little hot, but the comfrot is not an issue, and this is not a problem with the majority of the headphones I have owend, try them as well, and let me know after....

Aug 21, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well if you consider my oinion as an isolated one, just ask Nik and Serving in Ecuador.....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

IMO? Well yes, and in others as well, actually many many others, I could do an extensive list, of a bunch of headfiers that I know off, that had even sold it becasue they can not tolerate them after a few minutes in their heads, and they did liked the sound...others did not like the sound (me inlcuded) and feel it uncomfortable as well, and of course there will be always others that will like it and tolerate it, or at least say so...but that is not the center point of this discussion anyway....and the last thing I want is to make it as such...

I'm not debating that you and many others find them uncomfortable. I was simply offering another viewpoint on the subject.

Aug 21, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 45
What is the performance of New sony 7509HD compare with stax omega II ,sony Q010 ,beyerdynamic DT48/150, Grado PS1 compare with stax omega II ,sony Q010 ,beyerdynamic DT48/150, Grado PS1 and ultrasone proline 750/2500 ?

The spec. of the headphone :5-80,000Hz

I found Grado RS1 ,sony Q010 and stax omegaII colourate the sound.
A lot of high end headphone colourate the sound especially mid to hi frequency.Anyone have this experience?

Any high end headphone produce the sound as close as ADAM MP1 studio monitor?

Aug 21, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 45
With STAX, The 4070 is designed for studio monitoring, not the Omega2. The Omega2 is too full in the bass for the required neutrality.

The 4070 is quite difficult to get ahold of but it is in produciton.

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 45
A frequency response without listing a tolerance is more than meaningless, it is misleading.

Every headphone made does 5-80,000Hz. They might be 30 db down at the extremes, but they do reproduce something at those extremes.

A frequency response spec needs a tolerance to be valid. (Example 5-80,000Hz +- 3 db)

Most manufacturer listed performance specs for headphones are useless.

My comfort limit with Grados is 1 hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back