Any headphones like the HE60?
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

aRRR

100+ Head-Fier
For the short time I owned the HE60/HEV70 I loved it, I actually regret selling it, but then again Im not because it felt like the damn thing could fall apart any time.

In any case I absolutely loved the speed of these cans and awesome clarity.

The downsides were for me, sometimes a tad too sharp high's and lack of bass. Maybe these "problems" wouldve been solved with a better amp? Even if it were so, I would need like 5k$ for a good amp.

So what headphone would give me the same kind of speed and clarity these cans gave me?

Im open to any suggestions, dynamic, electrostatic, open, closed etc.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 22
You could look into the HE-Audio Jade. They're pretty similar similar to the HE60 (without some of the insane comfort) but run a bit less.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 22
Yea, Im not that active on these forums but a year back or so they seemed to be gaining popularity but was still beta, was quite intrested in them as they seemed to have the same speed as HE60.

Is this the main topic about them:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/h...phones-287277/ or are there any other topics?

Wow, from reading so far it seems these are THE headphones Im looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, from looking at this topic: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f87/he...1499-a-379081/

It seems like the current price SHOULD have been $1799 right now but the order page still says the sales price of $1499. Anyone knows why?

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 22
I have yet to find anything with the clarity and sparkle of the HE60. I've been using the HD800 lately, and that headphone is very clean sounding and may be a good option. But it still doesn't match the HE60 in my book.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aRRR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also considering the HD800.

Did you ever try the Jade?

Nope, never tried it, but it sounds like it may be an interesting one.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 22
aRRR, please share with us what headphones you have tried and what amp with each of them. Have you owned the SR-007 or any Lambdas like the SR-404?

To me the JADE sounds much like, and in some ways better than, the HE90 out of Ray's A-10. The HE60 has more pronounced highs and tighter but quicker bass than the HE90.

The HEV70 was the downfall of the HE60 IMO.
I have secard's old HE60 that are terminated to STAX 5-pin. With a STAX SRD-7Pro and Stasis it has more dynamics but still is no bass monster. I think both the Woo GES and STAX SRM-007t make very nice matches for the HE60. The STAX SRM-727II was not very impressive to me and a big step down from the KGSS. I should be getting a SRM-1/Mk-II Pro in a trade in a couple months. I'll have to give all the 'stats a try on it just for fun.

Sherwood and I were able to try the HD800 against a table full of STAX with a Eddie Current ZDT amping the HD800 directly and a STAX SRD-7Pro hooked up to the speaker posts.

I personally only listened to the HD800 for a few min. and wrote them off as another good attempt by Sennheiser to create a headphone that could not possibly offend anyone. It is the perfect mass-market answer to anyone with lots of money who just wants to buy a new headphone that sounds really good and not worry about what all those other headphones sound like.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O2 should do the trick.

I am going to have to disagree with that. To my ears, the Omega IIs just don't do it. They sound beautiful, very smooth, but don't have that openness or sparkle that the HE60s do. Don't get me wrong, they're a tremendous headphone, and I've never heard them with a BHSE or a WES, but they are not similar to the HE60s.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 22
I like your description of the HD800 plaidplatypus "It is the perfect mass-market answer to anyone with lots of money who just wants to buy a new headphone that sounds really good and not worry about what all those other headphones sound like."

I have no experience with other electrostats.

I have owned:
HD650-MeierCorda Opera
Edition 9-MeierCorda Opera
HE60/HEV70 - MeierCorda Opera DAC

Didnt like the ed9, didnt like the hd650's too dark.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aRRR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your description of the HD800 plaidplatypus "It is the perfect mass-market answer to anyone with lots of money who just wants to buy a new headphone that sounds really good and not worry about what all those other headphones sound like."

I have no experience with other electrostats.

I have owned:
HD650-MeierCorda Opera
Edition 9-MeierCorda Opera
HE60/HEV70 - MeierCorda Opera DAC

Didnt like the ed9, didnt like the hd650's too dark.

You may run into the same problem with the Omega II that you did with the HD650, although Spritzer insists that with the right amp, the Omegas sound amazing and not dark at all. If you're willing to experiment, those may be a fit, but I was never able to dial them in.

The Lambdas are much too bright to me and have an odd, artificial sound to them. Not a fan of that line at all.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may run into the same problem with the Omega II that you did with the HD650, although Spritzer insists that with the right amp, the Omegas sound amazing and not dark at all. If you're willing to experiment, those may be a fit, but I was never able to dial them in.

The Lambdas are much too bright to me and have an odd, artificial sound to them. Not a fan of that line at all.

Were you at the last meet, Seacard? Did I miss you somehow?

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 22
I don't think the OP is looking for the HE60, but rather something with the same amount of speed/clarity, and better bass impact and less fatiguing highs; I think the O2 is pretty much it. The only other two I can think of as possibilities are the Omega and Jade.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you at the last meet, Seacard? Did I miss you somehow?

Unfortunately I'm no longer in Denver, so I wasn't at the Colorado meet. I was at the LA meet and am now living at the Bay Area and hope to make the SF meet. Just making the rounds.

I guess I didn't hear the OII as having the same clarity/speed as the HE60s. When I got the HE60s, I had to relisten to my entire CD collection; everything just sounded so fresh and new and exciting. They were unlike anything I'd heard before. When I got the Omega IIs, I thought "huh, these are like a better HD600/650."

I still think the HD800 is a good recommendation for the OP. I've never heard the original Omegas so I can't comment on them, but if they are anything like the HE90 (which is the comparison I've heard), then they are going to be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back