Any head-fiers using an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B or Jubliee?
Jul 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of you may recall that a few months ago the stylus gave out on my Benz Wood M2 cart. I have since replaced it with a brand new Benz Copper Reference cartridge using the trade up program. I am very pleased with the performance of the cartridge. At the time I said I was going to buy a backup cartridge of lesser quality just in case. But instead am considering buying a second high quality cart as a backup, mounted on a seperate headshell.

I don't see Ortofon high-end MC carts talked about very much on Head-Fi. I was wondering if there are any members out there using or have used either cart that would care to comment on them.

--Jerome

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 6
I've had an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B for several years. It's mounted on an SME Series V arm and runs into a Graham Slee Elevator\RefleX phono stage which is a recent acquisition. The turntable is a Gyrodec. I find this a stunning combination though how it compares with anything else I’ve no idea, I seldom hear other vinyl frontends. I went with the Kontrapunkt B on the recommendation of a local deal whose opinion I trust. I seem to recall he preferred the Kontrpunkt B to the Jubilee though I can’t remember why.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Another vote for the Kontrapunkt B here. Mounted on a Pro-Ject RPM9.1 with the new 9cc Evolution tonearm into a Trafomatic Phono One using Lundahl step-ups.

Funny thing is I also preferred the B over the Jubilee, although was able to get a sweet deal on both of them so price was no deciding factor.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 6
I've heard the Kontrapunkt "a" a few times, and currently own the "c". Even the entry-point "a" was a substantial improvement over my Glider L2. MUCH less surface noise compared to the Glider. All around more neutral, resolving, and musical. None of the aggressiveness in the upper range. Both carts are superb trackers, but I get the feel that the Ortofons are even better.

I would have gone for the Jubilee, but the "c" was a better match for my heavy-ish arm based on its lower compliance. I've been told (and trust) by my dealer that the Jubilee is indeed the better cart and worth the price difference, BUT for my arm the "c" was the better bet. All the Kontrapunkts have the same compliance, so I'd look at your arm's mass when deciding between that and a Jubilee.

The low-output Ortofons like 100 ohm loading. Unlike the low-output Benz carts, they will SCREECH when faced with a high impedance load (1K or more). Funny, the "c" sounds stunning with the Benz PP-1 phono stage once you add external resistors to bring its impedance down to 100 from its ridiculous stock 22K.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am going to go forward and buy one of the Ortofons, but haven't decided yet on which one. I have found very attractrive pricing on both and I am leaning towards the Jubliee.

--Jerome

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Update: I decided on the Jubilee and have one on order. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Benz Reference Copper I am now using.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back