Any Head-fiers in San Diego?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 21
  Hi, I'm near UCSD, where are you located? I just went to the meet in Woodland Hills and had a blast. There's hopefully another meet in Coronado in November, but I'll have to double check.

Hey there, Glad to get a response from you. I'm not far from UCSD at all and I go by there on the 101 Breeze bus when I go shopping in Carlsbad and Encinitas once or twice a week. I reside in Kearney Mesa near Mesa College.
I'm Abe and I'd like to suggest a get together somewhere nearby. Know any others in this area?
Yes, I've heard about the November meets and I hope there's one this year. Especially so b/c in November, I'm planning on buying the Noble K10 and Noble shows up there, so I hear. If so, maybe I can get fitted right there for customs, maybe free even and a discount on the ciems.
Did you get a chance to hear the K10, by any chance in Woodland Hills? What did you like best there?
Anyway, I hope you get back to me and let me know about what I've brought up here and let me know what you're up to. I'll do the same.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 21
That's not very far at all, I usually take the 41 bus past Mesa when I go to SDSU. During the day, I'm around downtown for work. I've met a few people, mostly those buying from me (artemart bought a Schiit amp from me, I met up with him at the LA meet last week, he's local I believe). Another guy was selling Senn HD700s on Craigslist, lives a few blocks from me and is well known on here. I don't have any CIEMs, I do my listening on headphones & speakers. I've been wanting to look into a portable setup though. Good to hear from ya. Cheers, David

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 21
Hi David,
I also take the 41 bus from the 44 when I go to UTC. I also work out and sweat in Sauna at 24 Fitness in UTC.
A long time ago, until '90, I had in Boston, a pretty fancy setup with Basis turntable, Duntech Marquis, Jadis tube amps/preamp and a huge pile of classical music lps, but I suddenly became a nomad so I sold it all.
Now I'm a completely portable (single 68 year old (very healthy though) guy, living in my rv. I presently have a Fiio X5 which I love and a UniqueMelody-modified TF10 which is a great custom iem. I also have an AudioTechnica TH-A900 headphone which, if I dared wear on the outside would get stares b/c I would look like Princess Leia or Darth Helmet, haha. I bought that for use on my laptop but the right phone cuts off b/c of a bad connection in the phones. Oh well, so I use my $40 Sonys (not all that bad).
My favorite music is classical, esp. symphony but I'm beginning to favor chamber music a lot b/c it is easier to make a great recording with chamber groups. I also really like jazz and a lot of the rock music from the '60s and 70s, especially.
Anyway, that's a little about my present audiophile life.
Well, I don't know any audiophiles in San Diego, myself, so I'm really looking forward to a possible meet in Coronado in November where I could hook up with other 'philes.

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 21
Hi everyone,

If you guys want to do a mini meet sometime, I am in. I am still planning on doing the Coronado meet in November. Probably November 9th.

But any time before them, let me know. I live about 7 miles east of downtown San Diego, but can drive anywhere.

I could possibly host a very small meet at a condo in downtown San Diego, but it's pretty small. Maybe enough room for 6 desktop listening set ups. But parking is not the best downtown in the Gaslamp area.

Otherwise, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if someone else wants to plan a mini meet.

-Darin

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 21
  Hi everyone,

If you guys want to do a mini meet sometime, I am in. I am still planning on doing the Coronado meet in November. Probably November 9th.

But any time before them, let me know. I live about 7 miles east of downtown San Diego, but can drive anywhere.

I could possibly host a very small meet at a condo in downtown San Diego, but it's pretty small. Maybe enough room for 6 desktop listening set ups. But parking is not the best downtown in the Gaslamp area.

Otherwise, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if someone else wants to plan a mini meet.

-Darin

I meant Sat., November 8th.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 21
Hey Darin, I work downtown so that could work for me. I live around UTC/UCSD otherwise, which is some distance from you. I take the bus so parking's not an issue but I might not be able to bring too much gear. Anyway, it would be fun, I'm in. 

@Rip: I think my favorite is ambient/drone but I've been listening to funk and West African music lately because such attention was paid to the recording, it's a joy to listen to. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 21
Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm definitely in for November 8th and remember, Darin, I am willing to help set up if you need help and run errands. If enough people are interested, I will also show up with my portables.

Ambient drone? Wth is that? Now West African, I can dig!

I listen to mostly classical symphony, most interested in 20th Century like Prokofief, Shostakovitch, Bartok, lots of Scandinavians and British. Also like some jazz, esp. Mingus, Ellington, Art Blakey, Brubeck and Cannonball Adderley.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 21
I am the Claremont area. I would love to make a meet.
I listen to:
Prog rock
Jazz-rock fusion
Sequencer driven electronic music like Tangerine Dream
Some extreme metal like Aminal As Leaders or Alarum

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 21
  I am the Claremont area. I would love to make a meet.
I listen to:
Prog rock
Jazz-rock fusion
Sequencer driven electronic music like Tangerine Dream
Some extreme metal like Aminal As Leaders or Alarum

Great! Clairemont is where I am too! I live in my RV and presently range between Mesa College area and Convoy-Balboa. We haven't arranged a meet yet but we have so far about 4 people willing to take part. Sorry I haven't returned your message but I was off the internet for a week but now I'm back. Please stay in touch.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 21
Apr 11, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 21
Hi there,  I know zombie tread.  I would like to meet some of my san diegan headfi'ers.

I listen to everything (except modern country music)  Mostly alt/rock (radiohead, Rage, death cab for cutie, portishead) Jazz (Mingus, big plus, coltrane etc) Electronic (kaskade, diplo, the prodigy etc) classical (bethhoven, mozart, orchestra music) and a lot more.  

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 21
  Hi there,  I know zombie tread.  I would like to meet some of my san diegan headfi'ers.

I listen to everything (except modern country music)  Mostly alt/rock (radiohead, Rage, death cab for cutie, portishead) Jazz (Mingus, big plus, coltrane etc) Electronic (kaskade, diplo, the prodigy etc) classical (bethhoven, mozart, orchestra music) and a lot more.  

Did you make it to the last Coronado meet in Nov. of 2014? Sorry I can't remember if you were there.

I am always up for a mini meet. I probably wouldn't bring all my gear, but I could post a list of what I have and take requests. Another headphone modder also loves to meet to show off his headphones. Then there's Dan at Mr. Speakers. He also loves having people over to his factory. 

Also, if you're into speakers, I would recommend coming to a San Diego Music and Audio Guild meet. They meet fairly regularly and you get to hear some incredible speaker systems: http://sdmag.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back