Any Harry Potter fans out there?
Apr 1, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by beetle-juice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way he will communicate with Harry is with his portrait in the headmaster's office.

Holy snap, that's brilliant. How come I didn't think of that sooner?
blink.gif

I like the books for their substance (damn better than that rip-off Eragon series), and the movies for Emma Watson
redface.gif
. Rumor has it that she refuses to take part in the last two movies, but it could very well be a stunt to get more money.

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, do you think that Harry dies first, and then Voldemort? Or the other way around? I mean, he HAS to kill Voldemort. Absolutely no question about that. He must destroy all Horcruxes. Now, the prophecy says something likes "they both cannont live" or something like that. However, it does not say that both can't die.

Personally, I think that Voldemort dies (obvious). I don't think (but not positive) that Harry will die. I think that Dumbledore is not dead or, at the very least, is still able to communicate with Harry somehow, through some avenue. I also think that Snape is a good guy (ties in with the Dumbledore being alive).

Discuss..........

I don't know about the mechanics of their final duel specifically... I've given it a lot of thought, though. Voldemort has to die. That much is clear - Rowling isn't going to blow every fan under the age of 15 (which is a big part of her fan base) away by having Voldemort survive. So, he's gone. As for Harry, I think he's going to die because I really can't see him living without Voldemort as a wizard. He did so as a muggle, so, unless all of a sudden he's going to forget about his wizarding and live as a muggle (which I suppose is possible and a sh!tty way out), he too will die. I mean, what is he going to do after killing Voldemort? Become an Auror? That makes no sense whatsoever - ostensibly, there'd be no point in being an Auror once Voldemort is completely dead.

As for Dumbledore being dead, he definitely is. It would be really cheap if he came back. Harry needs to be on his own for the 7th book. This is the book that will complete his heroic plot arc, and to do so, he needs to grow alone.

Snape, for me, is a good character. I trust him. I think Dumbledore forced Snape to kill him at the top of that tower - sort of an external cyanide pill. I'll be that we'll find out in the 7th book that Snape and Dumbledore have been through that many times and rehearsed it and what not. In fact, Snape probably Occlumened (yay for conjugating invented nouns!) Dumbledore's mind when they were trapped. Also, Dumbledore had immobilized Harry under the Invisibility Cloak - why would he do that, if not to stop him from interfering from a pre-arranged plan? Of course Harry would have no idea, so he'd just react to Snape being a "traitor" and hex him. Dumbledore needed to die for Harry to be able to confront Voldemort on his own terms, IMO. Or else, Dumbledore would always be hanging around as a sort of safety net and Harry would never be able to come into his own. That being said, once he does come into his own, the arc will be complete, and I think that he will die, or at the very least, irrevocably exiled from the wizarding community with no memory at all, though I really hope that doesn't happen.

I like the idea of the Horcruxes, though I don't think that they were introduced too late. It would've been out of place earlier, because there would have been no drive behind Dumbledore's revelation. It was only at the end of the 5th book that Sirius died and Dumbledore began to confide in Harry. It couldn't have happened before that... I mean, books 1-3, Harry is too young to understand that kind of Dark Magic, and furthermore, book 4 is when Voldemort comes to power - before that, Dumbledore would really have no need to tell Harry about the Horcruxes; Voldermort was gone for a while, so Dumbledore had all the time he needed. I'm glad she didn't intro them in the 5h book, it would've been way too rushed, what with all the politics of that book, Voldemort wreaking havoc, Sirius dying, the prophecy (again, before Harry knew the prophecy, he didn't really know that he'd be the one to kill Voldemort), etc. I really hope the 7th book is fantastically long - I don't want it to end!

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the idea of the Horcruxes, though I don't think that they were introduced too late. It would've been out of place earlier, because there would have been no drive behind Dumbledore's revelation. It was only at the end of the 5th book that Sirius died and Dumbledore began to confide in Harry. It couldn't have happened before that... I mean, books 1-3, Harry is too young to understand that kind of Dark Magic, and furthermore, book 4 is when Voldemort comes to power - before that, Dumbledore would really have no need to tell Harry about the Horcruxes; Voldermort was gone for a while, so Dumbledore had all the time he needed. I'm glad she didn't intro them in the 5h book, it would've been way too rushed, what with all the politics of that book, Voldemort wreaking havoc, Sirius dying, the prophecy (again, before Harry knew the prophecy, he didn't really know that he'd be the one to kill Voldemort), etc. I really hope the 7th book is fantastically long - I don't want it to end!

I don't mind the fact that the horcruxes were revealed and explained in the 6th book, but I felt there should have been some lead in to it. Maybe some clues dropped all along the way leading up to the 6th book. To me it's almost like introducing a completely new villain that needs to be defeated along with Voldemort in the last book (which in a way it is).

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #35 of 76
For anyone who is a fan I highly recommend the book-on-cd versions. They are unabridged and make just about any road trip fly by. The first, and shortest is just a tick over 8 hours.

And just to fuel the Harry dies perspective, I've heard (but not confirmed) that several notable authors (Stephen King for one) have advised J.K. to kill Harry off at the end lest she spend the rest of her life answering, "So what's Harry doing now?"

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rumor has it that she refuses to take part in the last two movies, but it could very well be a stunt to get more money.

All three kids have signed on for all seven movies. Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ms. Rowling stated last year that she was willing to kill Harry Potter in the 7th book in order to prevent future authors from writing sequels.

That's what I thought. A handy idea to kill off the ideas of sequels etc. Stop the HP madness!
biggrin.gif
. Prequels still possible though. Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone who is a fan I highly recommend the book-on-cd versions. They are unabridged and make just about any road trip fly by. The first, and shortest is just a tick over 8 hours.

The audiobooks are highly recommended. I'd get the Stephen Fry versions over the Jim Dale versions myself.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #37 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. I have #1 by Jim Dale, his voice is really great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The audiobooks are highly recommended. I'd get the Stephen Fry versions over the Jim Dale versions myself.

Haven't heard of Stephen Fry, but I know Jim Dale has received quite some recognition (I understand Dale has become one of the most famous voices in audio books because of his HP work.)

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard of Stephen Fry, but I know Jim Dale has received quite some recognition (I understand Dale has become one of the most famous voices in audio books because of his HP work.)

Of course it's all a matter of personal preference. I have the first 5 of both of them and I like Stephen Fry better. But try before you by would be the best advice here.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #39 of 76
We love Harry Potter here. The series succeeds on so many levels, it's amazing.

I don't think Rowling is going to have Harry killed based on pragmatic calculations of possible sequels or annoying future inquiries. This series has grown beyond the ambitions of the author alone and Rowling probably and hopefully understands that.

I'm going to try read the 7th book in one of my weak foreign languages so I'll be forced to practice it more...

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it's all a matter of personal preference. I have the first 5 of both of them and I like Stephen Fry better. But try before you by would be the best advice here.

I wasn't even aware that there were multiple versions. Having lived with Jim through the first 3.5 books I don't think that I could switch now!

And the only problem with book 7 is that I feel like I'll have to read it ASAP when it comes out for fear of hearing the end before getting to read it.

Apr 2, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #41 of 76
Haven't heard of Stephen Fry?? You've heard of that guy on House, but not his other comedy half, Stephen Fry?? Haven't you seen the Jeeves series, Black Adder, A bit of Fry and Laurie... jeez!

Apr 2, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #42 of 76
I remember getting hooked onto the first book when it just came out, but lost interest after the second or third. I still read all the books though, if not just because I didn't have anything else to do. And I'll probably read the next book, since my brother will probably get it.

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #43 of 76
I am definitely a HP fan. Can't wait for The Deathly Hallows!

Anybody think Harry is a Horcrux?
eek.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard of Stephen Fry?? You've heard of that guy on House, but not his other comedy half, Stephen Fry?? Haven't you seen the Jeeves series, Black Adder, A bit of Fry and Laurie... jeez!

If by House you mean Dr. House, I've seen a few programs. Jeeves series and the rest, I've no idea what they are.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think it's necessarily his fault...the screenplay has him with the worst lines. hopefully in the next movie (order of the phoenix) they will let him do a little more than make that weird twisted face.

i thought most of the movies were fine...except the goblet of fire. it was awful. michael gambon's dumbledore was atrocious. not entirely his fault, as the director made him do some very un-dumbledore-like things, like yelling at harry. i still love richard harris' dumbledore and think about him when i read the books.

prisoner of azkaban was the best movie by far...having just watched "children of men," i think cuaron rocks...wish he'd do the last movie, too.

Agree 100%. I loved POA, thought it was wonderfully shot and the environment was dead on (dreary, rainy, eternally autumn). GOF movie is awful, seems like they went in the wrong direction with that one and tried to make it too straight-forward/polished. The acting just stunk (not just Emma, but the entire cast). They seemed wooden half the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back