Any Ham Radio Operators here at 'Head-Fi'?
May 18, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ham Radio Nut

100+ Head-Fier
I would imagine there are several Amateur Radio operators (Hams) that frequent these boards here. There are many parallels between the Ham Radio world and the headphones world. Interestingly enough, the love for tubes or solid-state is prevalent in the Ham Radio community. There are many Hams that love and collect older tubed shortwave transmitters or receivers, and actually prefer them, especially on 'AM'. The claim is that tubed AM transmitters give you better quality modulation (voice) than solid-state rigs. In addition, many 'Hams' often debate the quality of various 'communications' type headphones, where quality and sound often makes the difference of being able to hear or 'pull out' weak morse code (CW) or voice stations while listening to their receivers.

Have I missed any other 'parallels' between the Ham Radio World and the 'Head-Fi' world?

May 18, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 9
KD6RGZ here, good in the book...

Howdy!

Dunno how you would search on this site for Ham calls, but a search on "Hams" might turn up past threads...

May 18, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Nice to meet you all! Yes, the great 'Dayton Hamfest' is this weekend, starting tomorrow! 3 days of radio and electronics bliss, as well as crowded flea markets with 'elevated B.O.' levels! Sometimes, you do find some great deals on old hi-fi gear or old tubed amplifiers. Unfortunately, I won't make it this year, but I highly recommend it if you're into shortwave or Ham Radio!

May 19, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 9
KD8DSS here! Ah Hamvention, I got my license there last year. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to go this year because I'm staying at GT to take more classes over summer. That was my first ham convention, and it was a lot of fun. If you get a chance to go, do it!

Aditya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back