Any good quality Soul/R&B CDs in your collection?
Dec 29, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #16 of 29
does "prince - sign 'o the times" count as r&b?

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
A few musts:
An Al Green collection (there's a few)
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis (yes it's usually classified as R&B)
James Brown - Live At The Apollo
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On / Let's Get It On

And it's more Blues/R&B, but I can't recommend the recent Bettye Lavette - I've Got My Own Hell To Raise enough.

Seconded.

For soundquality alone I can recommend her previous album "A woman Like Me". It's one of the best recordings in my collecting.

May 4, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 29
Has anyone heard any high quality Temptations recordings? I just pulled out one of my dad's Temptations CDs and was supremely disappointed in the audio quality. (I hadn't heard the CD since I have become interested in high-end audio) It was actually quite painful with er-4s's.

May 7, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 29
Al Green - Call Me
Prince - Dirty Mind
The Spinners - A One of a Kind Love Affair

May 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and The Chi-Lites, The Tymes, Earth Wind & Fire, War.

X2 for War. but it is more soul/funk

I can confirm that War does sound really good on a decent stereo. The bass is only a little fat. The sound is spacious and dynamic and not compressed like. I really really like "The World is a Ghetto" "All Day Music" and "Why can't We be Friends". but they are the only ones I've heard.

Rhino has just released a box set of 8 albums.

May 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #21 of 29
Dusty is classified as pop and white soul on Wiki but I'd give her dues as a R & B artist. She worked hard to bring Motown to British audiences. "The Look of Love" and "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" was a standard of the times. "The Windmills of your Mind", "Wishin and Hopin" and "Angel of the Morning" are a couple more of my favs.

Good call on "Dusty in Memphis" as it is well recorded.

May 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does "prince - sign 'o the times" count as r&b?

Hell yes. It epitomizes it, in my usage.

May 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 29
I'm a big fan of some of the 70's gospel soul stuff.
A few that seem to have great SQ to me are:

Best of the Rance Allen Group (Truth Records)
Staple Singers - Let's Do It Again (Curtis Mayfield wrote and produced, Staple Singers played the music, on Curtom Records, 1975)
I like the SQ of most of the Stax albums I have.
James Brown's Live at the Apollo sounds pretty great for what it was (1963).

...this is all on vinyl for me so I don't know how the cds are.

May 9, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #25 of 29
My favorite R&B groups from the early 90's are Jodeci (Forever My Lady) and Shai (If I Ever Fall In Love) a lot of good memories for me and my wife when we listen to them.
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm that War does sound really good on a decent stereo. The bass is only a little fat. The sound is spacious and dynamic and not compressed like. I really really like "The World is a Ghetto" "All Day Music" and "Why can't We be Friends". but they are the only ones I've heard.

Rhino has just released a box set of 8 albums.

Did they do that again? I think I have the same set from the early '90s. All Day Music sounds particularly good.

If you want fairly recent R&B, try House Of Music by Toni Tony Toné or one of Raphael Saadiq's recent records. Also, you might try Anthony Hamilton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back