Any good magazines to subcribe to?
Feb 25, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #31 of 38
My favourite mag is Australian 4WD Monthly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #32 of 38
I have a few magazines that I buy on a semi-regular basis, depending on my mood.

For "serious reading", it's The Economist and Fortune for me. (I'm a finance major)
For a more light-hearted experience, I buy Car and Driver and sometimes Road and Track.

Of course, no morning of mine is complete without the Wall Street Journal.

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Yes, my favorite even though I'm an L.A. guy! And it is dirt cheap if you get a student/educator subscription.
k1000smile.gif

How do you go about getting the educational discount rate for a New Yorker subscription?

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic
Here are some mags I subscribe to:

Sync...about electronics with chicks and humor thrown in.

I read the first issue of Sync when I got it for free and was not impressed. It seemed like Wired (which I am not a fan of), only without the moderately good writing.

Have the subsequent issues been an improvement on the first, or are you just more interested in the subject matter than I am? It definitely had some interesting stuff in it, so I could be convinced to give it another try...

Feb 28, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I read the first issue of Sync when I got it for free and was not impressed. It seemed like Wired (which I am not a fan of), only without the moderately good writing.

Have the subsequent issues been an improvement on the first, or are you just more interested in the subject matter than I am? It definitely had some interesting stuff in it, so I could be convinced to give it another try...

I just like cool gadgets and stuff like that. "Cargo" might have better writing (not certain) but there is fashion stuff in there also.

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #36 of 38
I subscribe to:

Cargo - so-called "buyer's guide" that occasionally has interesting products but is increasingly nauseating me with each issue. Too much consumerism, coupled with a lack of real content (articles amount to little more than extended advertisements and showy exhibitions), has led me to consider cancelling my subscription.

Popular Science - I've taken this regularly since 1995, so I guess it's an old standby. It still provides a mostly interesting mixture of tech and science articles, sometimes with less scholarly writing than I would like.

Scientific American - extremely well-written, insightful, thought-provoking articles on all manner of science-related topics, including many that you won't see outside of scientific journals. This is pretty heavy reading, but they have a very formidable staff of writers and guest editors.

Cinefex - quarterly review of visual effects in film, covering 3-4 major releases each issue. This subject is an interest of mine, and the content here is far more in-depth than you will find on the average DVD extra. The staff has seemingly unlimited access to very famous and influential people in the industry (think John Gaeta, John Dysktra, everyone at ILM, etc.), and the magazine has built up a strong reputation in its 25 years of publication. This is really the only magazine of its kind, and it is primarily aimed at those in industry who want to read about what's going on in vfx houses other than their own; as such, there isn't any consumer advertising in its pages, only spots for rendering packages, For Your Consideration messages, etc.

Wired - pretty much the best tech magazine out there. I read all the tech news I can get, and Wired allows me to view things from a more analytical and philosophical perspective than I get from empirical coverage. Heavy hitters like Stanford CS professor Laurence Lessig are regular contributors, and the staff has high-level access to any and all major tech companies you can think of.

Maximum PC - mostly fluffy, but the hardware reviews are occasionally informative. I could do without the "kickass" labels and other rather pathetic attempts by the staff to appear "rebellious" and "tough." It serves its purpose, however.

Premiere - the most complete general coverage of the movie industry available, at least in my experience. Miles better than EW and People (though it's still relatively shallow reading); it tells me what I want to know, and amuses me sufficiently that I haven't bothered cancelling it. Their photography is unusually striking, I must say.

So there you have it. Any questions?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back