Any good equalizers for m50s?
May 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Surag238

Head-Fier
Anyone recommend a good equalizer to use for the ath m50? I feel like the highs are a bight to sharp-and irritate my ears and I want to turn it down a notch to appreciate the bass more-or, conversely, increase the bass.  thanks. 

May 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Also, what volume do you folks use? I have my hardware (pc volume) volume at 66% and I guess the software version (say on youtube or itunes) at 55%

is this too high? 

I can't speak to the M50 and your computer specifically but as a possible reference, for my HFI-580 on my work MacBook Pro I have the system volume at 1 of 16 bars (approximately 6%) and iTunes at around 25-50% depending on whether I want more "background" or "foreground" listening. On one of the Win7 desktops at home (onboard sound), I have the system volume at 2-4% and leave application volumes untouched (compared to 44-46% when going through the monitor's tiny speakers). Both of these situations are coming straight out of the computer, no amp or DAC. When I first plugged up the 580s to the Win7 box, I hadn't turned the volume down and when I started some music I could clearly hear what was playing from ~3 feet away. Good thing they weren't on my head at the time....

But it's hard to say specifically whether an overall volume of ~35% is "too loud", since your system's audio output might be quieter or you might have something else going on in audio drivers that you aren't aware of (or forgot about). For proper hearing, though, if it sounds loud then it's probably too loud. I want to say since you're listening at about 10x the volume setting I am that it's got to be way way way too loud, but there's always a chance that it's fine on your particular system.

May 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the info.  A bit more information- I have the standard motherboard realtek audio that came with my hp pavilion.  Its nothing fancy (I used to have a hi-fi fatality sound card but its only compatible with pci-e slots.  Also, I dont use an amp.

Do you have a soundcard or anything? Just onboard? I mean, I tried what you said 7% hardware volume and 44% itunes/yotube volume.  Its barely high-I mean I can listen to it but its nothing significant, certainly not "fun" loud.  I have to crank both the volumes to about 40% each to get anything out of them..whats going on?? :frowning2:

-btw if anyone wants a pci-e slot based fatality pro gamer sound card I'm willing to sell it for 40 bucks-its in perfect condition.  I just can't use it because my pc is new.  If you have an older one  you can certainly use this.  They retail for 100+ on the market.  

May 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Do you have a soundcard or anything? Just onboard? I mean, I tried what you said 7% hardware volume and 44% itunes/yotube volume.  Its barely high-I mean I can listen to it but its nothing significant, certainly not "fun" loud.  I have to crank both the volumes to about 40% each to get anything out of them..whats going on?? :frowning2:

Just onboard, likely Realtek of some variety on the Win box and who knows what on the MacBook. And I'm not a "loud" listener normally, so what sounds too loud to me might not be loud enough for you, tastewise. Just try not to have it cranked way up, to avoid damaging your hearing is all. I don't have any reference for what is objectively too loud, though, and even though the M50 and 580 seem like they should be similar in loudness on paper it doesn't mean they really are, so you have to take my results with a large cube of salt, it's more of an attempt to share a "ballpark" figure while you wait on someone who can replicate the same situation (M50 on computer) to get you their more-relevant numbers. :)

I didn't test any YouTube videos at home on Win7, but did run audio files through Windows Media Player (and play some games) at default application volumes (usually 100%, WMP definitely was). Though there can be differences in the audio files' loudness (in addition to any differences in the headphones themselves), you might try playing some audio in WMP (with WMP at 100%) and see what Windows volume level range you like on your M50s. That's probably the best way of taking as many variables out as possible, and then if someone else can chime in with their preferences in such a situation you'll have a number that's relatively easy to compare.

May 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 9
I dunno what happened, but I was messing with my audio and you're right.  Now I only need 4% application audio and 45% system audio.  Dunno what was going on earlier.  

May 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 9
I think what happened was that I was not using the onboard card that came with it (its part of the mobo) but I was using the mobo version-or something.  In any case, i dont think realtek was engaged earlier.  Now it is.  Seems like I barely need volume at all!!  The bass is louder too.  So great all round.  Thanks!

May 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Awesome, glad you got it sorted out. Definitely sounds like a reasonable volume level compared to my settings now (so it wasn't too loud earlier, just the audio settings were all screwed up, hehe). 
biggrin.gif
 Who knew that having the Realtek drivers and software engaged makes that much difference....

May 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 9
Don't equalize unless you do parametric equalization. My M50's sound like a whole different dimension with it. Search it up there's a massive thread on "how to equalize your headphones" that explains it.

It's hard to explain just how well the sound improves. What I WILL say that will hopefully explain the result of proper parametric equalization is that, if I A/B test listen to the equalized / unequalized settings (there's a button for it with the software) with the M50s, without my current equalization settings, songs sound significantly fake, screechy, sibilant, mids-anemic, and overall just plain bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back