Any FM fans left?
Mar 11, 2007 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

audiomagnate

1000+ Head-Fier
My never ending search for the ultimate FM tuner goes on. My new 701's are helping. I love my ever growing collection of analog FM tuners (I've got seven!). I get a 16 watt unprocessed stereo station that sounds like a line feed when they have a live performance in "The Radio Room."

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 24
I am quite interested in getting a great FM tuner... I recognize how wonderful Radio can sound and there is something to be said for hearing new music for free. Unfortunately a nice analog tuner falls somewhere around 5 on my list of things to buy, and things 1-4 are gonna hurt my wallet something fierce.

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 24
I "try" to listen to FM, but even though I have a pretty good antenna connected to my reasonably sensitive receiver...yeah; receivers can be quite handy as a convenient headphone amp...I can't seem to find any local stations that I can be consistently happy with.

......we're not near any major metropolitan areas.

"Consistent" is the key word. I lose interest fast if the programming isn't what I want "that day"! So I haven't given FM the attention that it deserves from either the equipment standpoint or even dedicating sufficient time.

I used to listen to FM a lot a few uh,...decades, ago and enjoyed it a lot! We were close enough to the U of M and they had some really good stations there!

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 24
Personally, I've given up both AM and FM radio in the N.Y.City area (in terms of music). You go from station, to station, to station and there is damn little that is listenable (not talking SQ, but "music" choices).........used to find lots of interesting stuff on the radio. No more.

a (formerly) avid listener

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 24
Anyone for the music channels on cable TV?
k1000smile.gif

Gene

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 24
BushGuy you are on the mark. I work in Memphis, Nashville, and St Louis. Great group of stations but all playing the same junk! I have a great FM-tuner at home it gets little play time anymore.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 24
I listen to two analog tuners (Radio-X modified Mitsubishi DA-F20, APS modified Kenwood L-07t) and one digital (Yamaha T-85) on a pretty regular basis. All three can amaze on the right stations. I actually miss the NYC public stations as we have considerably fewer quality stations to listen to here in Virginia.

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosepond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone for the music channels on cable TV?
k1000smile.gif

Gene

YES!!!

When the signal is a good one, it can be a very good source of tunes!

The HT receiver also has a good phone jack so when I can get the main system from the rest of the family for a while, it works quite well! And I can run an extension cable and sit in my nice comfortable listening chair!!

....only one drawback...only have a 1/8" extension cable. Can only listen with MS-1 and HD600. Not the MS2i.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 24
Any broadcast in my area is crap...FM or AM. I don't listen to it at all. It is a good thing for CD players in cars.

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 24
Radio 4 accounts for at least half of all the listening to anything that I do in any given day. I have a cheap kenwood tuner which I got in a trade for a Sega Megdrive. I bought a DAB radio in January but got NO signal, so sold it again.

MY FM reception is great though, and as I basically only listen to one station, which is mainly speach, news, comedy and drama programming, I really dont see the point in my investing in a QUAD calibre FM radio.

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #12 of 24
Love listening to FM. Even though I am in a small market, I am fortunate to have a good variety of stations. Perhaps more fortunate that I am able to pick up the stations on the low end of the band - full time classical, jazz, and then variety of rock/music programs from the remaining college stations.

Eventually I would like to get a restored tube tuner to try out.

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My never ending search for the ultimate FM tuner goes on. My new 701's are helping. I love my ever growing collection of analog FM tuners (I've got seven!). I get a 16 watt unprocessed stereo station that sounds like a line feed when they have a live performance in "The Radio Room."

Is Adcom a good tuner brand? My dad has one in his office that he never uses...

Unfortunately, the programming here in the NYC area is confined to the dullest of pop music from such notable artists as Paris Hilton and Mims.

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 24
I get great reception if that is the criteria. I was thinking more along the lines is the sound worth listening too.

The sound in Richmond, Va. is either talk, screaming, cursing, killing oriented or someone losing the dog, cat, truck or wife. All of which I don't care to expose myself to all day or for that matter for any length of time. It is all very depressing and is it any wonder the crime here is some of the highest in the country. We cultivate it here with our radio broadcasts.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 24
I live in a rural area and in order to get the classical music station I want, I need an external antenna. It's a real crap shoot and my Sony FM tuner cannot get the FM Stereo signal, only the Mono signal. It still sounds pretty decent when it is strong but that doesn't last.

Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back