any experiences with ultradac/buda and hd800?
Jul 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, maybe I am being dense here and the udac/buda havent been released yet and nobody has been able to test em yet but I was just curious. I know the hd800 will be my final headphone for home use an dI know I want a balanced source for it but my computer is my only source so the headroom combo seemed like a good idea. So anyone tried this combo?
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 19
I've had my BUDA/UltraDAC + HD800's for about a month (actually the HD800s themselves for 2 weeks). I've probably logged in about 50 hrs on the Senns so far. To my ears, this is an incredibly good-sounding combination! -- there seems to be almost perfect synergy among all the components and frankly I've never heard anything better. I also have a balanced pair of AKG701's which also sound very good with the BUDA/UltraDAC but they're not in the same league as the HD800's.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with the BUDA/UltraDAC/HD800 combo. It's admittedly a large piece of change but I think worth every penny. If you decide to spring for it, you should definitely also get the Desktop Power Supply (DPS). To complete your package, you'll also need 2 xlr cables to connect the balanced outputs of the DAC to the amp (HR sells DeMarzio xlr cables which are very good), and one extra 5 pin DIN power cable -- the DPS includes one but you'll need 2 of them (also from HR).

The only thing I can't comment on is your source -- I've no experience using a computer since my source is a CD tramsport via coaxial cable. Computer sources can sometimes be finicky to use depending on what software you use and how it's configured to output the USB signal. This would be a good question to ask the HR folks.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm also seriously considering a BUDA/UltraDAC/DPS combo for my HD800s that arrive next week. Have to say, I'm also really tempted by the EC Balancing Act, but it's a lot of dosh for just the amp, and the BUDA ticks a lot of boxes...small footprint, crossfeed, balanced. I'm not sure whether the UltraDAC would be an upgrade from my CI Audio VDA2, but there's something very attractive about a stack of those Headroom enclosures on yer desk :). Decisions decisions!

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 19
I am very seriously considering a BUDA to use with HD800 and ECD-1. The HD800/BUDA/UDAC combo sounded very good at CanJam but I was unfamiliar with everything in the chain at the time (music, dac, amp, headphone) so I don't know if this says much. I am hoping that it will come close to the sound I am getting with my WA5 for those time I don't want to fire up the tube amp and warm up my house. I didn't know that some people already had the BUDA/UDAC.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my BUDA/UltraDAC + HD800's for about a month (actually the HD800s themselves for 2 weeks). I've probably logged in about 50 hrs on the Senns so far. To my ears, this is an incredibly good-sounding combination! -- there seems to be almost perfect synergy among all the components and frankly I've never heard anything better. I also have a balanced pair of AKG701's which also sound very good with the BUDA/UltraDAC but they're not in the same league as the HD800's.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with the BUDA/UltraDAC/HD800 combo. It's admittedly a large piece of change but I think worth every penny. If you decide to spring for it, you should definitely also get the Desktop Power Supply (DPS). To complete your package, you'll also need 2 xlr cables to connect the balanced outputs of the DAC to the amp (HR sells DeMarzio xlr cables which are very good), and one extra 5 pin DIN power cable -- the DPS includes one but you'll need 2 of them (also from HR).

The only thing I can't comment on is your source -- I've no experience using a computer since my source is a CD tramsport via coaxial cable. Computer sources can sometimes be finicky to use depending on what software you use and how it's configured to output the USB signal. This would be a good question to ask the HR folks.

I use the BUDA/UDAC with a sonos wireless transport that streams bit-perfect lossless from my Imac to the UDAC through either coaxial or optical. It sounds fantastic. I have a pair of ALO recabled k701's and they sound quite nice. I would love to check out the hd800's. One word of caution, the UDAC doesn't play well with the apple airport.

will

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
twsmith,

Could you describe the major differences between the balanced k701's and the hd800? Thanks.

will

Comparing the two, I would say the HD800's have a more coherent and realistic soundstage; the K701's seem somewhat exaggerated and sometimes discoherent. The HD800's midrange is more palpable and engaging, whereas the K701's midrange is slightly distant. Bass is very good with both - perhaps more realistic and deeper with the HD800's. High freqs seem smoother and more detailed with HD800's but both are good. Resolution of low-level detail and dynamic range are also better on the HD800's. My overall impression is that the HD800's are by far the more resolving and realistic-sounding phone but I still like the balanced K701's with the BUDA.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 19
Have the DPS(desktop power supply)/UDAC/BUDA combo from Headroom. Started with a balanced AKG 701, and was quite amazed. Now just recently acquired the HD800, not yet fully burned in, and the cable not yet reterminated with XLRs for balanced feed.

Prelim: I love these HD800s! Agree with all of the above positive descriptions so far. The soundstage is big and wide. The imaging detail is better. The performance is another level above the AKG 701s. Perhaps not quite proportional to the cost ratio. Nevertheless, I'm, thrilled to own these, and I can't wait to hear them in Balanced mode, since many people suggest that there is a big difference for these headphones in balanced mode, compared to SE.

Does anyone know if going to a ~$300 aftermarket balanced cable such as those from APS gives a noticeable difference from stock cables reterminated with XLR connectors?

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing the two, I would say the HD800's have a more coherent and realistic soundstage; the K701's seem somewhat exaggerated and sometimes discoherent. The HD800's midrange is more palpable and engaging, whereas the K701's midrange is slightly distant. Bass is very good with both - perhaps more realistic and deeper with the HD800's. High freqs seem smoother and more detailed with HD800's but both are good. Resolution of low-level detail and dynamic range are also better on the HD800's. My overall impression is that the HD800's are by far the more resolving and realistic-sounding phone but I still like the balanced K701's with the BUDA.

Thanks for your comparison. Do you think the HD800's are worth the considerable cost difference between the k701's?

will

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Thanks for your comparison. Do you think the HD800's are worth the considerable cost difference between the k701's?

will

I can only speak for myself here -- my answer would be a resounding YES! I do not regret getting the balanced HD800s -- even though the balanced K701s really do sound very very good, the HD800s do everything so much better that I really can't look back. I've heard Stax electrostatic phones in the past and until I heard the HD800s, I never thought a dynamic phone could ever approach an ES in terms of fine detail retrieval but the HD800 does just that, and gives you in addition better bass, dynamic range, etc. In that sense, I would say the HD800s are actually somewhat of a bargain -- I realize to some folks this may seem like just spouting the party-line but believe me, I really LOVE the HD800s and how they synergize with the BUDA/UltraDAC.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 19
Well, I had put my name down for a Balancing Act on the next run, but I've taken a big bite of the credit crunch so decided to change my plans. So yesterday I ordered a UDAC/BUDA/DPS plus cables, and a balanced cable for my HD800s from MA. Have to say, shipping to the UK from Headroom is very reasonable for those three boxes...$45, which was a nice surprise. Anyway, I can't wait for these to arrive as by all accounts I haven't read a bad word about the UDAC/BUDA/HD800 combo.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Well, couldn't stand it any longer and ordered a pair of balanced HD800's today from headroom. Man I hope these cans are worth the price!

I don't think you'll regret it. I've been absolutely blown away by the HD800 single-ended (balanced setup on the way).

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 19
OK, so the HD800 arrived today. All I can say is WOW!!! These cans sound freakin amazing on the BUDA/UDAC combo. I can't imagine what these things will sound like after some burn in. The sound is so smooth and detailed.

will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back