Any experience with Bright Star Isolation Products?
Apr 14, 2004 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
Has anyone used Bright Star Audio's isolation/dampening platforms? I was considering the Isorock 5 platforms at AA since they are priced pretty reasonably and was wondering if they do the job well. I'm looking for dampening that doesn't have points on the ends that would scratch my audio rack.

A pic of the IsoRock
IsoRock_4BG.jpeg.JPG

Bright Stars Website: http://www.brightstaraudio.com

AA Linkage: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...205%20Platform

Thanks for any responses!

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 9
I've never used the Bright Star units, but I made my own out of MDF and an inner tube. It made a very noticeable difference with my Arcam Alpha 5+ CD player before it bit the dust. It brought everything more into focus and the music was much more coherent. It did not make much of a difference with my Phillips CD player. The Phillips unit has much better feet on it than the Arcam did.

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 9
The only Bright Star Audio products that I've used are their IsoNodes (AKA: little rubber feet). Obviously, they don't provide the kind of damping that the IsoRock provides.

However, the MDF board and bicycle innertube idea that Large4mat mentioned is fairly popular amongst audiophiles. It's also super cheap. Maybe give that a try before plunking down the coin for the IsoRock.

D.

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
The only Bright Star Audio products that I've used are their IsoNodes. Obviously, they don't provide the kind of damping that the IsoRock provides.
However, the MDF board and bicycle innertube idea that Large4mat mentioned is fairly popular amongst audiophiles. It's also super cheap. Maybe give that a try before plunking down the coin for the IsoRock.
D.

Did you feel there was a noticable improvement with the isonodes? I believe the Isorock comes with isonodes on the bottom of it. I like your suggestion of an MDF board with an innertube but by the time your done cutting the board, sanding, painting etc the price (including the value of your time, ~2 hours) would be approaching the $59 cost of the Isorock, and it would be tough to match those looks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by highflyin9
Did you feel there was a noticable improvement with the isonodes? I believe the Isorock comes with isonodes on the bottom of it.

There was a noticeable difference when I put the IsoNodes under gear with moving parts (e.g. turntables, CDPs, etc.), but I don't know if it was an improvement in all cases. For example, with a CDP, the IsoNodes seemed to enhance clarity and detail. But, at other times, such as with a turntable, there was some harshness added. I read a review a while ago in which the author complained of the same thing. I believe that he said that the problems stemmed from the IsoNodes unbalancing the turntable's suspension. So, I think that it really depends on what you put the IsoNodes under. In other words, YMMV.

By the way, I didn't detect any real difference when used under solid state gear, such as preamps, amps. I have heard that they're useful when stacking components, though, e.g. such as putting a CDP on top of a DAC. Also, it might be worth putting under a tube amp, particularly if it's noisy/microphonic. I'll try that when one of the tube amps that I've ordered actually gets here.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by highflyin9
I like your suggestion of an MDF board with an innertube but by the time your done cutting the board, sanding, painting etc the price (including the value of your time, ~2 hours) would be approaching the $59 cost of the Isorock, and it would be tough to match those looks
smily_headphones1.gif

I just happen to be a cyclist and a home DIYer/handyman. If I'm not fiddling with electronic gear, I'll be on a bike or working around the house or garden. So, I usually have innertubes and scrap building materials laying around -- a homemade isolation mat might cost me $2, all in.

You have a point about the looks. I find that black spray paint does wonders for such things, though.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

D.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 9
I've got the full blown extra large isolation system for my TNT turntable. The guy I bought it from A/B'd it for me with the TNT against some ultra-tricky, expensive isolation platform. The Brightstar kicked its butt, especially in the bass response.

This might not carry over to other sorts of sources....

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Never used any, but almost bought an AirMass 3 with pump. I think the AirMass units would provide more isolation. Even better would be to use one of each and see what they do. I believe they come with a return policy of 30 days, so you have little to lose other than some minor money in shipping.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 9
You could say this is a slightly late post to this thread 
biggrin.gif
- but I just put a set of Bright Star Isonodes under my Sony NS999ES SACD player.  I immediately noticed more detail and clarity as stated above.  In my admittedly short time listening with them attached I have heard things on my CDs I did not know were there.  Impressive IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back