Any engineers or college folk wanna give me some advice?
Aug 16, 2003 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
I'm starting college on August 25th. I'm thinking about going into Engineering, although I don't know which type yet. Probably computer or electronical engineering.

Are there any tips regarding engineering or college in general? I'm just 19 and am about to stand on my first real step.

Aug 16, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 12
CS and EE are very different.

Aug 16, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Time management and organizational skills are very important. I also think it's very important to set your priorities and stick to them. Go ahead and party, but don't make it your main focus. If your college/university offers a workout center like mine did, definitely take advantage of it. Working out will help you think more clearly, sleep better and in most cases strengthen your immune system.

You'll find that you'll have a lot of time between classes, it's what you do with that time that will either make you a success or a failure.

BTW, I think the general rule for studying is 3 hours for every 1 hour of lecture time. College will be your full time job. It usually takes most people their freshman year to get used to the college life so don't stress it too much.

Aug 16, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 12
I am a mechanical engineer and I have two suggestions. 1) Go into the area that really interests you and do a little research on what each does. 2) Take all the math you can before you start the engineering courses that require math. I did this and it allowed me to concentrate on the engineering and not struggle with the underlying math. Many of my contemporaries struggled when they took the math courses concurrent with the engineering.

Aug 16, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Sol: I didn't mean computer science. I meant working with electronic gadgets. CD players, TVs, anything hardwired. I don't know what the major is called.

Brent: My school doesn't have a gym, but I already work out :wink: I will attend on bike. If I have an hour between classes, I'll probably just ride it away (or cram-study.)

John: I am going for an AA pre-major in engineering. It requires me to take every math class they have (yes, every single one!) Fortunately, I've always been proficient at math when I've applied myself. Hell, I've been proficient even at half ass.

As for actual jobs, this site has been very helpful:
http://www.bls.gov/search/ooh.asp?ct=OOH

thanks for the feedback. I'm actually anxious to start...

cool.gif
Team Nerd
cool.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Im about to graduate.

dont do drugs
dont drink often or in large quantities
date nice women who care about you and encourage you
keep in touch with your family
study daily, even if only for a few minutes just to keep yourself continually focused on your main goals and reasons for attending college.

Get plenty of SLEEP!! Nothing can possibly compare with this. If you get sleep you will come out of college feeling ready to take on the world. If you habitually stay up late and **** your circadian rythm up you will graduate from college feeling burned out already.

Make sure you are going to college for you own reasons and not for anyone elses. Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic motivation. You will be happier if the reasons that motivate you are intrinsic. Don't choose your major based on peer pressure, social pressure, or because you wan't to be rich. It's difficult and it seems obvious, but you should really make sure you are clear on this.

Stay in the dorms the first year, or maybe the first 2 years. It's just easier, trust me.

Have fun, but have good clean fun. Being irresponsible is great just as long as you aren't ****ing yourself up. I knew a couple kids who turned into alcoholics in college, they weren't close friends of mine but I still saw it happen.

Alcohol inhibits your brains ability to heal itself. Whenever you drink and your "having fun" remember that you are doing so at a cost to your body. So don't confuse fun with stupid.

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 12
I don't do drugs. I drank about two times in my life and smoked pot 3. I would rate those experiences more negative than positive.

I'm going to college for myself. Although everyone always told me to go, I didn't planning on doing so until about April '03.

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 12
Another thing that came to mind is to use all the University has to offer. Beyond getting a degree you should use college to round yourself out as a person. For example work on your writing and general knowledge of humanities. An engineer that can speak in public on things other than pure engineering and that can write well is a much more valuable person. Help people when you can in school, it helps you understand the material at a deeper level. Friends I made while tutoring are still friends 30 years later.

Aug 16, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Doing Computer Engineering myself. EE and Comp E are tough majors but really it just comes down to good habits and time management. I'm a little boring
rolleyes.gif
, I get a good night's sleep and I devote a lot of time to my studies, but I get top notch grades so that's the reward. Really though, in addition to what's already been said, just get your **** together with schoolwork and you should be fine. Generally I feel that the biggest problem people have with college is not so much the work itself but being able to handle themselves on their own and keeping focused.

Aug 17, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 12
I wish I had my Ety's when I was in college. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise not to have them. I am now able to read and concentrate in almost any situation with background noise. Funny, the only time I really need quiet is when I am doing income taxes. Maybe because it really pisses me off that they take so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back