any employment lawyers/human resources about? need advice as got screwed over
Jan 31, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

amir_j

100+ Head-Fier
anyone?
mad.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 59
dunno the complaint, but try calling your HR folks, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, try the Compliance dept at your place, but if you don't have that, how about the whistleblowing hotline? don't have that? Did you try Legal in-house? No go? Write a letter to management, DOA? no more recourse in the company? it's time to call the EEOC! Before filing a civil suit for labor/employment matters, i believe it's best to first go through the EEOC and file a complaint. at this point it's time to bring in the hired guns and get an employment lawyer!

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 59
There are a decent number of lawyers here, but it's generally against bar association ethical rules to give specific information out over an online forum, so they're usually silent.

Since this is an employment issue, money is undoubtedly involved. Find a lawyer in your area and go speak to him. It will be worth your time. If you need a referral, people here may be able to help, or contact your state bar.

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
There are a decent number of lawyers here, but it's generally against bar association ethical rules to give specific information out over an online forum, so they're usually silent.

That's interesting. Why would that be an ethical violation?

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 59
Because lawyers have an ethical obligation not to do anything for free for which they could be paid.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(sorry, I kid, I kid!)

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula

I imagine it's like doctors giving medical advice without examining the patient firsthand. There's also the issue of giving legal advice to someone in a different state where you aren't licensed to practice law.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Among other things, lawyers are authorized to practice law in certain jurisdictions. A Pennsylvania lawyer cannot practice law in other states.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Among other things, lawyers are authorized to practice law in certain jurisdictions. A Pennsylvania lawyer cannot practice law in other states.

Sure, but you're not practicing law by posting your thoughts in an online forum. Any more than I, as a CPA, am acting in that capacity if I give someone my take on a tax situation.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Because lawyers have an ethical obligation not to do anything for free for which they could be paid.

i would seriously consider that to be the reason.

other than that, whats wrong with advice? you might be a lawyer, but you're still responding to the vague info by a stranger at an online forum. the OP should know better than to take the advice for absolute.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 59
Also, if you're unionized there should be a greivance proceedure of some kind. Talk to your steward.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 59
actually, even if he told all the gory details here, the stock answer would basically be what i posted above - "go pursue your available avenues of relief, and if those dry up, go see a lawyer." no lawyer is going to say "based upon my expert opinion, i believe you have a case here due to XYZ" because that kind of language can be taken as the first step towards committing towards a client-attorney relationship, with all the messy things involved with it, such as confidentiality issues - and that kinda gets shot by answering at all over a public forum, hehe.

so really, even if he says "i just killed a guy and i'm about to turn myself in, what should i do?" a lawyer here is NOT going to say "make certain you are read your miranda rights, and XYZ" - they are going to say "go get a lawyer!"

BTW, what's your paypal ID? i need to send you my bill.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
no lawyer is going to say "based upon my expert opinion, i believe you have a case here due to XYZ" because that kind of language can be taken as the first step towards committing towards a client-attorney relationship, with all the messy things involved with it, such as confidentiality issues - and that kinda gets shot by answering at all over a public forum, hehe.

I'm approaching this from a layman's common sense point of view, but I can't see (outside of the "expert opinion" part you mentioned) that it's some big ethical or legal liability issue for someone who is a lawyer to informally offer an opinion on a legal matter at no compensation on a message board.

As cire said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
other than that, whats wrong with advice? you might be a lawyer, but you're still responding to the vague info by a stranger at an online forum. the OP should know better than to take the advice for absolute.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

I'm approaching this from a layman's common sense point of view, but I can't see (outside of the "expert opinion" part you mentioned) that it's some big ethical or legal liability issue for someone who is a lawyer to informally offer an opinion on a legal matter at no compensation on a message board.

the problem is that there really is not informal way for a lawyer to give a tiny bit of a legal opinion about a person's predicament, especially in a public forum. it's no big secret - like it was said before with doctors, if the doctor did an informal incision into a patient and just walked away at that point - well, you can't do that. you started a cut, you committed to the patient. there's no way to give an informal cut - you either go all the way or you point the way to someone who can. it's not just to avoid malpractice, it's the right thing to do - who wants to cut someone open and just leave it to fester like that? it's not very responsible, no matter how much the person is saying "cmon doc, just a lil somethin' for the pain, eh?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back