Any difference between Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro Series 250 ohm and DT880 Reference Series 600 ohm?
Dec 10, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 6
  I am looking for an upgrade for my tube amp.  Any improvements in this upgrade?

Might help if you told us which tube amp you had ......

I'm assuming you own the DT880 250ohm Pro - and are asking if moving to the 600 ohm will be an improvement - correct?

This is going to depend on whether your amp is a hybrid or genuine OTL, what the output impedance is etc

Also - the obvious differences will be in clamp (the 250 Pros clamp tighter - which may give a touch more bass response).

Basically you haven't given enough information (so far) in your initial post to get reliable help.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes, that is correct.  I own the Pros and I want to upgrade.  I am using (2) different Antique Sound Labs OTL Headphone amps with NOS tubes.  I have the OTL32 and the MG-Head OTL III.  Both are using best of the best NOS tubes.  I also play Hirez DSD files through a IFI iDSD Micro DAC and use Transparent Audio Super cables and Chord Silverplus USB cables.
Not sure about amplifier output impedances.  Looking for increased air, ambience, and space with better dynamics while still retaining the tonal balance of the Pro Series 250 ohm model.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 6
I owned the 250 ohm Pro, the 250 ohm Premium and the 600 ohm Premium

IMO there is not a significant difference between the three of them to justify the change.

Judging by what you're asking for - same tonality, but increase in dynamics / vividness - you're describing the T1.

This thread may be helpful : http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1

The good news is that the T1's used (check the Head-Fi classifieds) have never been more affordable :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 6
I am literally blown away with the T1's.  I took a chance on them without previewing them and I couldn't be happier.  I think I like them more than I liked my HD800's.  They seem to have it all and sound great with tube amps.  Mine have the ability to be driven balanced as my cable has been modified.  I can hardly wait to try that when I can with my Geek Pulse Infinity when it gets here.  Thanks, Brooko, for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back