Any DAPs that recognise and compute multiple field entries e.g. genre?
Aug 5, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If an artist straddles genres then perhaps a new genre is the way to do that. "transient" etc. Personally I just prefer less Genres. So every one from Megadeth to Hendrix goes into "Hard Rock". Even Hendrix Blues album. Thats because my music is organised as Genre/Artist. If you organised it Artist/Genre then you would have scope for multiple Genres for each artist. Alternatively you could have use playlists to group tracks that have more than one Genre. But playlists don't always have the same functionality on different players.

I guess you can only experiment with different players and see what works best.

Sometimes I make copies of tracks to create "mix" albums for stuff that I want in two places.

I guess that's an alternative way of doing things, but, as you say, it relies on satisfaction with such broad catergorisation. If Frank Zappa's Lather contains significant amounts of art rock, hard rock, experimental rock, jazz fusion, music concrete and classical/modern classical, I'd like to be able to assign each of these generes-styles to the album (meaning that, if a DAP was able to recognise and process such, I could get the tracks of this album to appear/be in the cache for a random search/play of files by any of these genres/styles, respectively). This, to me, is appealing as, if it was enabled, I could choose to random play by the genre blues rock, say, and have all the music that is an axample of such and.or contains traces of such be randomly selected from, from one song to next, across all the music of all the different artists I own, and, thus, gain a nice, new, transient perspective on/feel for that genre, across board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back