Any DAPs that recognise and compute multiple field entries e.g. genre?
Jul 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

my external HD has recently become faulty-unusable-broken, and, unbacked up- yes, rookie mistake though I had been planning on aquiring a 2nd drive to behave as back-up asap-, my entire music archive, both .FLAC and mp3 (320kbps) are currently inaccessible and potentially lost (need to have drive extracted and tested by sata connection, first, and, if damaged go from there; with considering recovery services/tricks/tools etc or, simply, putting it down to experience, getting a new one in and starting again).

However, my interest in this is general, anyway, and independent of the above ,but it will bear greater significance to me if I do have to write off my drive and start compiling my music archive/s again.

My experience with DAPs is, that, although you may create multiple fields for same field type- and I have, until up to this point, for my own reasons of accuracy and desire to capture certain details about releases and/or out of my want to best define the music (even after I knew DAPS didn't process more than one)-, they do not have the ability/capacity to process such, only taking the first varietal you supply it with in the file and/or folder tagging. In other words, you can tag an album folder/group of audio files to have more than one genre via independent, separate genre fields created when tagging, each filled with a different genre/style. All the DAPs I own and/or have tried- I have side-tested numerous DAPS on extended opened-box returns periods from Advancedmp3Players.co.uk-, have only been ale to deduce and process into their library and/or search database the first of any field type entry. The Daps I've tried and found this with are the ipod classic 6.5G, Samsung YP-P2, Sony NWZ-A829, Sony NWZ-S639 and NWZ-S739 (same device, really), Sandisk Sansa Fuze, Cowon D2 and Ipod Nano 4G. [I realise you can put multiple genres/styles into the same field, separated by semi-colons for instance, however, this means the DAP will only process all entered into this field as one genre and will not/cannot segregate them so, to do this, is essentially pointless as you now make the random play by genre utterly useless].

Obviously, the idea of having a DAP or digital audio player/source of some sort, that is able to process multiple field type entries in the tagging of an album folder/group of audio folders would be ideal. I've imagined being able to random play by genre/style with this in place and it would be awesome; you can find a musically and stylistically diverse and interwoven artist like Frank Zappa, say his complex and genre hopping epic, Lather, in art rock, experimental rock, classical/modern classical, jazz fusion etc. The same applies for someone like Hermeto Pascoal or Buckethead. Guys who dip their toes in so many pools and/or mix it up, who are genuinely creatively and experimentally inspired. Artists who can maybe be best decribed as unclassifiable or avantgarde at times. To have these such artists, as well as any others, properly processed in this way by a digital audio player would be simply fantastic to me!

Of course this doesn't just apply to genre but to any field type. Others include artist/album artist, composer, conductor, year and comment, potentially.

Anyone know of any DAPs or digital audio devices that provide this, or maybe an alternative firmware such as Rockbox (I have no experience with this at all though I have most definately heard of it, obviously).

Going back to how I opened this post, if not and I have to start re-ripping my CD collection all over again, I may not bother capturing such in my tagging.

Thanks in advance
wink.gif

Steve

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 16
Apologies. Been away for a week in Spain and then totally forgotten about this thread since got back! Still, doesn't look to have resonated with anyonel
tongue.gif
. Anybody have anything to share?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxxdoc
Try the hard drive freezer trick. Google "hard drive freezer trick". You will get better instructions than I can give you on how to recover your data.

Good Luck.

Thanks for tip! I've left my HD with a computer place to diagnose- no charge for that-, along with my laptop which has also broken down (again!
frown.gif
). Dependent on their assessment and/or cost assessment, I'll look into that further.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 16
How about I rephrase it to say that I'm after clarification that, at this point, there are no DAPs created/on the market that have the functionality/means/capacity to process and filter multiple entries for a field type- can anyone confirm this? Maybe I'm overlooking something or there's a trick to enable it or something...

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Rockbox has"composer" "artist", and "album artist" so you can specify more about the specific performance. It may have even more advanced field options available, but I don't know because I keep my tags very simple and general. They might not show up because I'm not utilizing them at the moment.

I'll make a custom album with lots of tags and will let you know how it goes!

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox has"composer" "artist", and "album artist" so you can specify more about the specific performance. It may have even more advanced field options available, but I don't know because I keep my tags very simple and general. They might not show up because I'm not utilizing them at the moment.

I'll make a custom album with lots of tags and will let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the response Punnisher and cheers for taking on that bit of ,ahem, field research to see what Rockbox (as an alternative firmware option) enables with regards to advanced taggin options! Much obliged. I'll await your results...

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 16
I am using my favorite tagging program called "mp3tag" and tagged an album called Ravel- Piano Works (disc 1).

I applied 3 genre entries including Classical, Solo Piano and Piano. For kicks I also included two artist names including Pascal Rogé and Maurice Ravel.

Unfortunately rockbox only recognized the first tag option in each field, that is Pascal Rogé and Classical. Piano and Solo Piano did not show up at all.

Maybe there is a way to enable this in Rockbox.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

I am using my favorite tagging program called "mp3tag" and tagged an album called Ravel- Piano Works (disc 1).

I applied 3 genre entries including Classical, Solo Piano and Piano. For kicks I also included two artist names including Pascal Rogé and Maurice Ravel.

Unfortunately rockbox only recognized the first tag option in each field, that is Pascal Rogé and Classical. Piano and Solo Piano did not show up at all.

Maybe there is a way to enable this in Rockbox.

That was quick! Cheers dude for the time and effort in running that test out. Very much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, looks as though Rockbox is unable to facilitate such then, also. I guess manufacturers just havn't expanded to enable players to offer this depth of functionality yet then (and/or havn't bothered to incoroprate due to what I'd have to imagine to be relatively low demand for such).

Anybody else have any more insight on this scenario?

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 16
I found a post on a rockbox page indicating you should be able to have multiple entries per field. I guess the trick might be finding the correct seperator that Rockbox likes.

Example:

;
&
and

Also any combination of the above and spaces before and/or after. So far "Classical; Solo Piano; Piano" is a bust.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I found a post on a rockbox page indicating you should be able to have multiple entries per field. I guess the trick might be finding the correct seperator that Rockbox likes.

Example:

;
&
and

Also any combination of the above and spaces before and/or after. So far "Classical; Solo Piano; Piano" is a bust.

Wow man, thanks for the continued effort/experimentation into this, especially as it's something you're not too interested in for yourself, going by what you revealed before (that you prefer to keep your tags simple)!
beerchug.gif

That sounds promising then! Makes sense also (that enabling such would be achievable through a certain command/way of entering the tag data). Of course, I've never used Rockbox to date and don't know too much about it beyond the simple fact it's an alternative firmware option for DAPs. I'll have a quick read up on Rockbox...

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Don't get your hopes up though. The comment I read was a question from a rockbox user and might not indicate anything certain.

No worries, thanks for providing a clearer depiction of that source.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about I rephrase it to say that I'm after clarification that, at this point, there are no DAPs created/on the market that have the functionality/means/capacity to process and filter multiple entries for a field type- can anyone confirm this? Maybe I'm overlooking something or there's a trick to enable it or something...

Why would you want that. Have something appear under blues and rock, like hendrix for example?

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want that. Have something appear under blues and rock, like hendrix for example?

Precisely. More over with stylistically diverse and/or transient artists such as Frank Zappa or Buckethead.
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 16
If an artist straddles genres then perhaps a new genre is the way to do that. "transient" etc. Personally I just prefer less Genres. So every one from Megadeth to Hendrix goes into "Hard Rock". Even Hendrix Blues album. Thats because my music is organised as Genre/Artist. If you organised it Artist/Genre then you would have scope for multiple Genres for each artist. Alternatively you could have use playlists to group tracks that have more than one Genre. But playlists don't always have the same functionality on different players.

I guess you can only experiment with different players and see what works best.

Sometimes I make copies of tracks to create "mix" albums for stuff that I want in two places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back