any DAP with a large capacity just for music?
Jul 17, 2009 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

J Dennis

New Head-Fier
I'm not interested in being able to play videos, not even bothered about a color screen really. I just need something large capacity (preferably 100GB+) which can play music (mostly rock, here's my last.fm) at a reasonable quality. Is there anything out there?

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 11
Not if you want to buy something new and unmodified.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 11
If you want to be a real classic go for a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra, and mod it yourself. But as far as I know these players will only go up to 120GB HDD or is read that by the firmware. They dont feature a fantastic LCD colour screen, but I can rest assure their sound quality will run circles over any Ipod. Their a rather old player now (big deal !!) but they just sound fantastic ohh and I've seen some 120GB versions on Ebay, you will need to look and see.

I've got one in my MP3 player collection and love it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Unmodded, and assuming you want to keep it small enough to keep in your pocket, there's only the iPod Classic 160/120 and Zune 120 (the Zune beats out the iPod in SQ unmodded, via the headphone out).

Modded, you have a number of options. Besides what was already mentioned, you could mod a 5.5G iPod to take a 120GB (or larger) drive, or you could mod an iRiver Hxxx / Gigabeat F / Gigabeat S to take a larger drive.

I have a Gigabeat F 120GB mod + Rockbox, and I'm very happy with it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to be a real classic go for a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra, and mod it yourself. But as far as I know these players will only go up to 120GB HDD or is read that by the firmware. They dont feature a fantastic LCD colour screen, but I can rest assure their sound quality will run circles over any Ipod. Their a rather old player now (big deal !!) but they just sound fantastic ohh and I've seen some 120GB versions on Ebay, you will need to look and see.

I've got one in my MP3 player collection and love it.

Sounds interesting, will have to keep an eye on ebay.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
120GB model with hard drive replaced with 240GB drive.

Will that even fit? The 120GB iPod Classic hard-drive is 5mm in height. I have yet to see larger drives at that height, most are 8mm height variety (which fit the thicker shell of 160GB Classic instead).

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will that even fit? The 120GB iPod Classic hard-drive is 5mm in height. I have yet to see larger drives at that height, most are 8mm height variety (which fit the thicker shell of 160GB Classic instead).

iirc you use the fat 5.5g version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back