Any Criterion Collection buffs?
Dec 5, 2005 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

vibin247

500+ Head-Fier
I know alot of us like watching movies, and especially collecting DVDs and such. I was just wondering if anyone in forum especially likes the Criterion Collection. How many titles do you have, and which ones? Also, do you have any of the now, sought after LaserDisc titles?

I only have 6 so far:

The Royal Tenenbaums
Ingmar Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage
Short Cuts
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Jules et Jim
An Angel At My Table

The last two listed I just bought today, and can't wait to find the time to watch them! I usually buy two at time, because they're more expensive than most DVDs.

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247
I know alot of us like watching movies, and especially collecting DVDs and such. I was just wondering if anyone in forum especially likes the Criterion Collection. How many titles do you have, and which ones? Also, do you have any of the now, sought after LaserDisc titles?

I only have 6 so far:

The Royal Tenenbaums
Ingmar Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage
Short Cuts
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Jules et Jim
An Angel At My Table

The last two listed I just bought today, and can't wait to find the time to watch them! I usually buy two at time, because they're more expensive than most DVDs.

I have Hard Boiled and The Killer on criterion laserdisc, and a bunch of criterion dvds...

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 30
Off the top of my head:

Rushmore
The Rock
Beastie Boys Anthology
Seven Samurai
Robocop

...there's a few more, I'll update my list when I take a look.

Forgot to add:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Monty Python's Life of Brian

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 30
I am a bit of a Criterion buff, though I don't have all that many (relative to the rest of my collection). Right now, all I have is:

Spartacus, The Rock, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, 8 1/2, Solaris, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Rashomon, Haexan, Tokyo Olympiad, Grey Gardens, A Night to Remember, Tanner '88, Gimme Shelter, Rushmore, The Third Man, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Charade, Night and Fog, Brazil, Chasing Amy, Hearts and Minds, and Secret Honor

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 30
Err... no, but I'm a Sony Superbit buff... I'd like to be a Criterion buff when Blu-Ray/HD-DVD grow up
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 30
Probably around this time two years ago I started my collection of Criterion DVDs, and have since procured the following:

Adventures of Antoine Doinel Boxset
Andrei Rublev
Avventura
Battle of Algiers
Beauty and the Beast
Chasing Amy
Cries & Whispers
Do the Right Thing
Hiroshima mon amour
Horse's Mouth
How To Get Ahead in Advertising
I Know Where I'm Going!
Ikiru
In the Mood for Love
Last Temptation of Christ
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
M. Hulot's Holiday
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Naked Kiss
Night and Fog
Ran
Royal Tenenbaums
Rules of the Game
Rushmore
Shock Corridor
Solaris
Spartacus
Straw Dogs
Stray Dog
Sullivan's Travels
Taste of Cherry
That Obscure Object of Desire
Toyko Story
Traffic
Variety Lights
Wrong Men & Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers

With several on the way for Christmas:

Au Hazard Balthasar
Band of Outsiders
Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection
Children of Paradise
Diary of a Country Priest
Fanny and Alexander
Grand Illusion
The Leopard
Nights of the Cabiria
Passion of Joan of Arc
Samourai
Umberto D
Walkabout

Their restorations are unparalleled, and the tremendous work that goes into their packages is evident.

Being a completely non-affiliated consumer, I've found that the cheapest way to get them is through Deep Discount DVD, especially during their 20% sales.

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Criterion Robocop? Lol.

I've often considered picking up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or 8 1/2 Criterion, but the price is just so darned high.

The thing about the Robocop Criterion is that it is the directors cut, some unbelievably gory stuff. I'll have to watch this again soon, its a very entertaining satire of the future.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 30
I've got The Beastie Boys Anthology (great, but curious why it's censored?), Brazil (excellent release!), Hard Boiled, and The Third Man (fantastic movie, liked it much more than Citizen Kane). I also have the CAV Akira laserdisc! I really need to pick up a bunch more. I've been slacking and there are a lot of great movies in their catalog. The one think that really "grinds my gears" is that so many of their movies go out of print and are a small run to begin with and then go for way to much on eBay.

Lately I've become a Superbit buff, mainly because they're all $9.99 at Best Buy, which is fantastic. It's not snake oil. I definitely notice a small improvement in video quality on my basic 27" TV over S-video. I'm sure the differences would be greater in 480p on a good TV. Mainly I love the DTS sound though. It's still kind of rare on DVDs. Last non Superbit DVD I picked up was the Special Collector's Edition of Top Gun, which is fantastic to show off a good home theater system. It didn't sound this good in the theaters.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 30
Hmmmmm i have:
Chasing Amy
Royal Tennenbaums
Rushmore
and for christmas Brazil Criterion
biggrin.gif

but yeah, not such a hefty collection here
tongue.gif
i want The Life Aquatic two disk as well... i have on rent right now, Seven Samurai, and Straw Dogs if that counts for anything
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 30
I have 13 Criterion Collection DVDs. All of them are Akira Kurosawa's films, except for the Samurai Trilogy, which stars Toshiro Mifune. I think Throne of Blood and Ran are the only Kurosawa films I don't yet own, although I haven't looked at Criterion's site lately.

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 30
Here's my list:

The Royal Tenenbaums
Chasing Amy
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
The Hidden Fortress

Notorious - One of my favourite movies and I can't believe I was able to get at retail from Amazon considering it had been out of print and unavailable for months. They must have found another batch in a warehouse somewhere and I lucked out.

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Criterion Robocop? Lol.

I've often considered picking up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or 8 1/2 Criterion, but the price is just so darned high.

Fear and Loathing is one of the few I have it it's awesome... very worth it IMO.

I agree with HiWire, the Superbits are a much better if you want top notch DVD pic and audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back