Any complains for e500pth?
Dec 30, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #16 of 52
To my ears, the E4c are total crap compared to the E500.

I only have 2 complaints regarding the E500:
- They seem to have a tad less detail than my ER4P
- For whatever reason the isolation isn't as good (using whichever of the tips -- mostly using the tri-flange) as I could get with my ER4P (using the tri-flange).

But overall I'm happy with my purchase.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 52
I think it's funny when people talk about headphones or IEMs not having a wonderfully huge soundstage. While I appreciate headphones/IEMs having a large, open soundstage (and prefer a large to a small soundstage), keep in mind they are not full-size, floorstanding speakers. Headphones will almost always be more intimate than speakers, and because they are so close to your eardrums they will reveal a lot more detail than speakers will. This is of course assuming that you don't have a pair of $30,000 speakers with proper amplification and ICs in a perfect acoustic environment... if you do, your speakers might be more intimate than your headphones.

That being said -- if you are looking for a triple driver IEM, it is my duty here at head-fi to suggest to you the UE Triple.Fi 10 pro.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #19 of 52
^^while I'm sure the triple.fi sounds great, you might want to try it on. I much, much prefer how the E500s fits over the UEs, not even taking into account sound yet.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^while I'm sure the triple.fi sounds great, you might want to try it on. I much, much prefer how the E500s fits over the UEs, not even taking into account sound yet.

E500 fit is great

Unfortunatly the treble is way to seperated from the rest of the music. Hornet did help greatly but still too seperated from the rest of the music for me. I call it "Drummer in the Attic" effect.

Sounds like the rest of the group is performing in the living room while the drummer sounds like he is 3 floors above in the attic.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't kid yourself... Tri.Fi fit is great, too... IMO, much more comfortable than the SF5pro even though they are remarkably similar in shape and size. I, too had comfort issues with the sf5pro, BIG TIME... I don't have that problem nearly as much with the tri.fi...

The E500 do look comfortable, though, as the UM2 do. However, if the Tri.Fis are twice as good in SQ but half as comfortable as the E500, I'd still choose the tri.fis.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E500 do look comfortable, though, as the UM2 do. However, if the Tri.Fis are twice as good in SQ but half as comfortable as the E500, I'd still choose the tri.fis.

I doubt you'll find anyone on this forum who has heard both IEM's say that the TF's are twice as good in SQ as the E500's.

My guess, from reading many posts around here, is that you're just as likely to find as many people who prefer the E500 to the TF's.

I haven't heard the TF's so I can't really say that I prefer one over the other. All I know is that I am very satisfied with my E500's and have no urge to change to any other universal IEM (the UE10's are another story
icon10.gif
)

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you'll find anyone on this forum who has heard both IEM's say that the TF's are twice as good in SQ as the E500's.

My guess, from reading many posts around here, is that you're just as likely to find as many people who prefer the E500 to the TF's.

I haven't heard the TF's so I can't really say that I prefer one over the other. All I know is that I am very satisfied with my E500's and have no urge to change to any other universal IEM (the UE10's are another story
icon10.gif
)

Well then, you said it yourself, because the Tri.Fi's are sonically 95% of the UE-10s according to some UE folk (and Trose, LOL, even though he's never heard the tri.fis). The main distinguishable factor is the comfort of a custom molded IEM, which is quite important. And for a $550 difference (in my case it was a $575 difference because of contest winnings), I'm content with that 95%.

Hey T... The UE-10s are a hard acrylic, correct? I heard that they are not soft silicone. This might be a little unpleasant to my ears if that's the case. So why would they use Acrylic when it is: A) more prone to cracking, and B) not as comfortable? Is it better for sonic clarity and accuracy than soft silicone? Is there no way for them to mold all those drivers accurately within soft silicone? Fill me in on the gossip, bud.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Well then, you said it yourself, because the Tri.Fi's are sonically 95% of the UE-10s according to some UE folk (and Trose, LOL, even though he's never heard the tri.fis). The main distinguishable factor is the comfort of a custom molded IEM, which is quite important. And for a $550 difference (in my case it was a $575 difference because of contest winnings), I'm content with that 95%.

PJ I never said that I thought that UE10s were better than the E500s. My comment was simply that I would consider changing to a custom IEM rather than a universal, and of the customs to choose from I would probably go with the UE10s. I'm really not sure I would even gain much in the way of SQ going from the E500s to the UE10s, but I would probably gain a little in comfort (and cool factor, especially with custom art like trose's!).

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Don't kid yourself... Tri.Fi fit is great, too... IMO, much more comfortable than the SF5pro even though they are remarkably similar in shape and size. I, too had comfort issues with the sf5pro, BIG TIME... I don't have that problem nearly as much with the tri.fi...

I don't see how the triple.fi can feel that much better than the super.fi fit. Its the exact same design...exact same tips...exact same wire. I think what you're experiencing is a case of "OMG FOTM FTW!" So basically them feeling more comfortable is all in your head.

In any event, there's no comparison in comfort of the E500s vs the UE design (I've owned both). I'd be VERY surprised at ANYONE who has tried both say that the UE's are more comfortable.

As far as sound quality from what I've read, the E500's are very similiar to the triple.fi's with emphasis on the winner depending purely on user preference. If they are really that close in SQ where no clear winner can be determined, I'll take the more comfortable one any day of the week.
wink.gif

That being said, it was how the universal UE's fit that turned me away from the triple.fi in the first place. I like a deeper seat than what the UE tips provide. Take into account everyone's ear is different, and perhaps you may not be as aggravated with the fitment. However, I've yet to hear of anyone saying the E500s are uncomfortable, whereas there are several incidences of people (me included) who do not prefer how the UE's fit and stick out. I made this known, even when the SF5Ps were my primary IEMs.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #28 of 52
I don't care for the cord. Having sold the pth portion, I use the simple cord extension. It seems to combine the worst of the er4p front cord and the Shure back cord, as the 500 lacks the formed wire that routs it down the back. At least for me. This wire tends to drift towards the front, especially if I have the player hooked to my backpack. Coming in two sections the cord tends to separate easily (but that's way better than the ER4's tendency to rip out of the years or out of the output jack, eventually damaging it).

That's a minor quibble, really. I'm not sure I would actually change the design. I think the E5c had the ideal design, running along the back, but it was harder to put into place, and when you're out in the city there are always reasons to remove the IEMs momentarily.

Andy

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

I think it's funny when people talk about headphones or IEMs not having a wonderfully huge soundstage.

This was strictly in comparison with a full headphone vs an IEM.

I really don't see why you find the fact that headphones having a larger soundstage than an IEM funny, cause its true. According to your profile, you don't even own a full sized can for comparison, much less a high end one. Maybe when you finally get a pair, you'll understand.

Don't be sad that your TF's can't do it all. No headphone can. Its just getting annoying with you trying to prove why the TF's are better than _____ based on assumptions, since obviously you haven't even heard 1/2 the equipment you're trying to counter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back