Any competition to Denon-AH-D1001's?
Oct 25, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better is a subjective term, what type of music do you listen too?

There are tons of options, the ATH-M50, ATH-ES7, MS1i, HS280, K81DJ

x 2 - totally agree. It depends upon your music genre, source, formart etc.
Still, the MS1 beats the D1001 in overall char's

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 15
To be honest, I can't really specify a genre. I pretty much listen to everything. Lately it's been rock/metal, but I listen to pretty much everything. I'll be using wav files. The source will probably be a cowon s9. So, I guess best overall headphone.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 15
As an owner of both the AD700's and the D1001's, I can say they are both worth the money.

Honestly, I think it's a tie.
When they were my best cans, I would go back and worth between thinking which one was better. They are very different, but I can't really say one is better than the other.

The only other headphones I've considered under $100 (new) are grado's. The D1001 and AD700 seems hands down better than the rest.

You should keep in mind that my Denon's are recabled, and I highly recommend you recable them as well.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 15
I've got exactly the same question as yeahman68.
smily_headphones1.gif

Force

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 15
I think I like my HD 238s more than the D1001s, I use both at home.

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 15
I don't think I have the technical knowledge to recable the headphones. I just want something to sound good out of the box (after break-in of course). What I really want to know however, is that is there any thing out there $100 that is better, and more versatile. I know there's a pretty close tie between the 1001's and ad700's.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 15
The RX700 vs D1001 is likely more a matter of preference than one trumping the other.

I use my un-modded RX700 and modded Creative Aurvana Live! from an XS71 sound card. Been listening to my CAL! for the past hour or so. It's smooth, clear, natural, jams, and punches. It EASILY contends with the RX700. I have it uniquely modified, sounding much different than stock, more like the RX700 actually. It sounds so good and engaging, I have no inclination to take them off and plug in the RX700. Their differences are a matter of preference. Haven't modified my RX700 yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$35 JVC RX700s will trump the D1001s

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 15
FWIR...

The most often recommended headphones in the < $100 price range are the M50, D1001, AD700, and RX700. The SRH440 is new and should work well for you. These 4 other headphones will have a lot of bass in comparison to the bass light AD700. The M50 and SRH440 are the least modified of these. The D1001 and RX700 are often modified for better sound. The AD700 is sometimes modified for a better fit. I use my RX700 with an XS71 sound card, and it's good without modifications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahman68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I have the technical knowledge to recable the headphones. I just want something to sound good out of the box (after break-in of course). What I really want to know however, is that is there any thing out there $100 that is better, and more versatile. I know there's a pretty close tie between the 1001's and ad700's.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 15
Okay....I Have just received my Shure srh440s in the mail about 5 days ago and this is what i think....For 99 dollars they are an amazing buy! BUT!!! The bass isn't strong or punchy(although i might be saying this since i listened to the beats by dr. dre a lot in store) but the mids and highs are great.

Sound: Great for 99 dollars and beats most headphones within 80 dollars of it.

Comfortability: Okay..Kind of heavy and big with soft cushions but i heard the srh840 cushions are better and they can be used on the 440 so for 15 bucks go get those cushions

Portability: They are foldable and an 8/10 for portability although they are big

Style: They look big on the head but look amazing in hand or just randomly out...Not a fashion statement on the head but its not to shabby

Overall: I would take these over the srh840 and over the m50 and it does not need an amp..But i am going to look at buying some other headphones..comparing them and then returning whatever ones i dont like...I give the shure srh440 a 8.5 out of 10 and there good but they are a bit big

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahman68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I can't really specify a genre. I pretty much listen to everything. Lately it's been rock/metal, but I listen to pretty much everything. I'll be using wav files. The source will probably be a cowon s9. So, I guess best overall headphone.

Well if the main genres you have been listening to are rock/metal i would have to go with the MS1. It is one of the best headphones for rock for around $100,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back