Any comments on the Cyrus 6 or 8?
Apr 14, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 7
It's a UK product and as far as I know, not many US users will have heard them. I think they're pretty expensive for what you get over there, so most people would go with the Rega/Eastsound/other options available over there.

I can only comment on the CD6s, which was the CD player being used when I auditioned my speakers in the shop. Bear in mind that both the speakers and the CD player were new to me, so my opinion should be taken as nothing more than that, but I was really impressed by the clarity of detail and the great dynamics. It's not the weightiest player on the bottom end, but it's no slouch.

I can usher you to a great resource, the Cyrus unofficial forums. I know that forums dedicated to a single brand are a little suspect, but the posters on the forum are actually really fair and balanced, many of them owning no Cyrus kit at all.

Here's a link..

http://www.rdh.34sp.com/phpBB2/index.php

Apr 15, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 7
Ken ... NightWoundsTime had this to say about his Cyrus CD6. I've heard it and thought it in the same league as Rega Jupiter/Apollo, better than any NAD or the EastSound, and very similar in concept (but a wee bit smaller than) the Musical Fidelity X-Ray - I love the small footprint. The fact that Cyrus will upgrade to CD8 is nice, too.

Definitely worth a listen.

Apr 15, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 7
The cyrus cdp is dinky. I use to own a cd 7 few years ago. It can be upgraded to the latest spec cyrus cd8.

It can be upgraded via manufactuer PSU's as well. But to be honest when I tried this I didn;t think it made a huge difference you might find elsewise.

Check the cd transport though. I remeber talking to a previous cyrus owner on this very forum when he had the cd8 and he mentioned a clicking sound. Now I remembered when I owned the cd7 I didn;t have this probelm but only after I took it back to the shop and asked them to replace for a new cd7. That got rid of the problem.

I do not know if the cd6 has the same tranport as the cd8. I know the previous transport as used in the cd7 ceased production so they switched to the new ones.

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 7
I had a Cyrus CD6, thought it was a great little player and worth the money. Great Company aswell, brillant customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back