Any chile-heads out there (people that like stuff REALLY spicy)?
Nov 19, 2005 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

MrEcted1

100+ Head-Fier
Wassup.

Some of my passions include real Belgian beer (especially trappist ales... Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, Orval, Westvleteren and Achel) Also I love grilling and, well, HOT sauce. Now i'm not talkin' tobasco type hot (don't get me wrong, I love tobasco) I'm talking so hot it feels like you just stuck a burning coal in your mouth.

If you're a hot sauce freak then you've heard of Scoville Units which rank heat by how many parts water it takes before 1 part hot sauce (or whatever) can no longer be detected... they have new methods now... but anyways... a Jalapeno pepper ranks in at about 5000 scoville units. The hottest pepper known to man - the habanero - ranks in somewhere between 100,000 SUs and about 300,000 SUs... depending on how fresh it is and also which strain (Red Savina is the hottest) Some of you guys have probably had Daves Insanity Sauce which ranks at about 80,000 SUs... that's a good gauge to go by. Below are my favorites of the pure heat hot sauces. My friends call me crazy because I have loads of hot sauce in my pantry... not all of them are this hot though...

Mad Dog 357 Collectors Edition - 600,000 SU

Black Mamba (don't know the SU's but its more then 300,000 for sure)

Da Bomb Beyond Insanity... a little weak at only 114,000 SUs... but tasty!

Da Bomb Ground Zero - at over 230,000 SUs this one has good heat and great flavor!

Da Bomb The Final Answer - HELL in your mouth at 1.5 MILLION SUs!! That's about 10-15 times hotter then a habanero.

Possible Side Effects - Claims 234,000 SUs... BEST flavor.

Blair's Jersey Death - 360,000 SUs

Widow No Survivors - Okay... this one is deceptive. It says around 80,000 SU's but it's MUCH hotter then Daves Insanity Sauce. I think they put extra capsaicin in my bottle... yay! (capsaicin is what makes peppers hot)

I have lots more, but those are my favs.

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 83
Where do you get such a fine collection?!?!

I love spicy foods, just spice in general. The hottest pepper I've had has been the peter pepper which was a bit overwhelming. I love adding hot sauces to many foods (one of the best is to add Tabasco Habanero sauce to eggs, terrific!) to augment the taste. I sometimes live by the axiom "Food is not properly seasoned unless it hurts to eat." It's a nice rush at times.

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 83
A buddy of mine used to work at a U-Brew and they sold all kinds of hot sauces, I tried a few but I don't think they were as hot as some of the ones you've mentioned. I like hot sauces as long as it become the focal point of the food, as in so hot it doesn't matter what the food tastes like without it. I'm more of a Tobasco, or Frank's Red Hot kinda guy...by the way, where would ordinary run of the mill tobasco sauce rank in scoville units?

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
Where do you get such a fine collection?!?!

I love spicy foods, just spice in general. The hottest pepper I've had has been the peter pepper which was a bit overwhelming. I love adding hot sauces to many foods (one of the best is to add Tabasco Habanero sauce to eggs, terrific!) to augment the taste. I sometimes live by the axiom "Food is not properly seasoned unless it hurts to eat." It's a nice rush at times.

There are a few special foods stores around my house that have a good variety, but I often order them online from www.PyroPepper.com.

You're absolutely right... Habanero Tobasco is awesome on eggs. I love the flavor of that hot sauce! But I really like Jalapeno based hot sauce on eggs. My favorite Jalapeno hot sauce right now is Dave's Hurtin' Jalapeno. I also really enjoy Blair's Jalapeno Death. Being a jalapeno hot sauce they aren't hot at all... but BOY do they taste great!

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
A buddy of mine used to work at a U-Brew and they sold all kinds of hot sauces, I tried a few but I don't think they were as hot as some of the ones you've mentioned. I like hot sauces as long as it become the focal point of the food, as in so hot it doesn't matter what the food tastes like without it. I'm more of a Tobasco, or Frank's Red Hot kinda guy...by the way, where would ordinary run of the mill tobasco sauce rank in scoville units?

My wife always says "Can you even taste food anymore?" haha... after awhile you become used to heat and it just adds another dimension to your favorite dishes. Once you get into the super hot ones you start to get whats called a "cap-buzz". This happens when the the sauce is so hot that your endorphins begin to rush and you feel a bit euphoric.

I totally love Frank's Red Hot - it's classic!

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Kinda wimpy in comparison, I need to cowboy up and try some of those 300,000 ones...

If you're looking for good heat then I would start somewhere in the 40,000 to 80,000 SU range and work your way up... else you will end up with a devil of a sauce that barely gets any use. Some of my favorites in that range are Blair's Sudden Death and Blair's After Death. Also Possible Side Effects (also by Blair) is amazingly good! They claim it's over 230,000 SUs but it's nowhere near that. I would say it's somewhere around 60,000. If you're a fan of spicy mustard then you should try Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas. This is one is quite spicy for mustard (over 100,000 SUs)... plus it comes in a mustard gas canister and you can't beat that!

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 83
Hey, there's some classy sauces there!
smily_headphones1.gif

One of my friends is in to this and I've tried some of his stuff... Amazing!

I love hot food, but I'm actually more of a Indian/Thai/Chinese spicy guy. Nothing like a really hot curry! Something about coconut milk and peppers... Delicious!

Anyway, as for hot sauces in my refrigerator, I'm pretty basic:
Tapitio
Franks Red Hot
Louisanna Club Hotsauce
Plus 3 different sweet chile paste/sauces (all Thai-imported... none of this domestic garbage they sell at Safeway)

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Hey, there's some classy sauces there!
smily_headphones1.gif

One of my friends is in to this and I've tried some of his stuff... Amazing!

I love hot food, but I'm actually more of a Indian/Thai/Chinese spicy guy. Nothing like a really hot curry! Something about coconut milk and peppers... Delicious!

Anyway, as for hot sauces in my refrigerator, I'm pretty basic:
Tapitio
Franks Red Hot
Louisanna Club Hotsauce
Plus 3 different sweet chile paste/sauces (all Thai-imported... none of this domestic garbage they sell at Safeway)

I like Tapatio because it goes great on most all foods - especially Mexican and it's only $1.00.

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #12 of 83
I used to love spicy. I grew up in a spicy eating household where there was often something spicy on the menu.

Once I turned 20 something changed. For some reason any time I eat something significantly spicy it reduces my innards into liquid, hole scorching magma.

I have no idea why, but now it is more than just torture. A few months ago I went to an Indian restaurant that I love and had Chili Pakora (battered deep fried chilli's with seeds still inside) and I was treated to the worst pain since disembowlment was invented.

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 83
There is a BBQ place nearby with terrific hot sauces, I believe there are 5 grades of sauce- mild, medium, hot, big boy hot, bad boy hot. I've never known anyone (even my hispanic friend who keeps a bag of jabaneros around and eats them like they're grapes) to successfully conquer a plate seasoned with the bad boy sauce. I'm sure it's nothing like these 1.5 million ones, but even the hot is good enough to do me in.

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip

I'm with Blip. I like food made hot, not adding some uber hot liquid to it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought something called "Pain 100%" just because I liked the name - never opened it. First ingredient is Habanera peppers if that means anything.

Hottest meal I ever ate was Thai Basil Chicken...I asked the waitress (who knows me well), "Don't mess around, you know I like it hot." The first bite made my whole face turn red. My co-worker was laughing...my god, that was a good meal. I had to leave about 2-3 spoons of pure spices on the plate though - just couldn't eat the stuff raw! There is no point in eating super hot stuff unless there is something good going with it.

However, just to insult me, she said, "Yeah, I like it hotter than that." I bet she was telling the truth too.
biggrin.gif

-Alex

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1
I like Tapatio because it goes great on most all foods - especially Mexican and it's only $1.00.

I was hoping someone would say that. It is my workhorse of hot sauce, It is good, cheap and easily available. If I want a little more flavor I put on some Chalua. In addition most of my soups get a shot of cayenne powder.

I don't like just hot sauce, I like the flavor, but I would like to try some that are really hot for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back