Any buds other than yuins worth buying?
May 23, 2008 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

andersoj

Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm heading to Europe on tuesday and I need some buds to listen to while I'm there, because I don't want to get hit by a double decker bus. Does anything stand out that is available brick and mortar?

Also are there any stores that sell the sleeves that Vibes use?

Thanks wise ones!

May 23, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 38
I have used the new Sennheiser MX460 earbud for ~4 weeks. On par with my PK3 for a quater of the price.

May 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used the new Sennheiser MX460 earbud for ~4 weeks. On par with my PK3 for a quater of the price.

I might have to grab a pair of these. How would they compare to the marshmallows? Do they have a good amount of bass? How long do they take to break in?

May 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 38
I can't say anything for the MX460, but I used to have the Senn MX500, which is usually available at normal brick 'n mortar stores.

The do deliver for $20 >, and what I find the biggest pro on these ear buds is clarity in comparison to other buds in this range.

May 23, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 38
I've read on the boards that the JVC F130 is good for the money. Make sure you get the F130, and not the ones with white cables though, as those are the previous generation, and aren't too good (reputedly).

I personally use the Sennheiser MX70's, which have magnetic backs. The cables a bit on the short side (only 3 feet long), but I like the overall sound, once you remove the silicon rings, and slap some donut foams on them. When there isn't too much ambient noise, the amount of bass on these is on-par with the Marshmallows.

However, they are 64 ohm impedance, and so some sources might not drive it too well.

May 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 38
I used the HA-F130 for several months. For the paltry $15 that I paid (they're $10 now), they were quite clear, and similar to ttmnky's experience with the MX 70, bass was somewhat present when there was little ambient noise. I was happy with them. Due to abuse of them by me (I never unplugged them when putting them in my pocket, and significant pressure was applied to the plug when I sat), the connection in one ear eventually gave out. Rather than recabling something so cheap, I decided to order an MX 55 VC. It still hasn't arrive, contrary to the current state of my signature, but it should soon. I'll post basic impressions when I get them, as there seems to be little information on Sennheiser's newer MX line on Head-Fi.

May 24, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 38
Thanks for the tip on the f-130s, I remember seeing them and thinking they were a joke, but I'll give em a try.
biggrin.gif

Maybe I'll get lucky and see some of those senns, but from the looks of it all the brick and mortar stores only sell em online.

May 24, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 38
Forgot to mention, if you don't mind spending extra $50~100 for buying in person, you could go to the Bang and Olufsen store near you to get one A8 earbud, which is quite good in many aspects. It is one of the less appreciated earphones in Head-fi, mostly attributed to the "brand name" bashers.

I personally preferred it to the Yuin PK2 (only online purchase, but much cheaper) in many aspects, which soundstage is not one of them.

May 24, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 38
Whether I'm insane or not is perhaps up for debate, but I found the JVC HAF130 to be as good as my Yuin PK2s at 1/7th the cost. I also was disappointed in the Yuin build quality: although I never had a problem getting them exchanged, the fact that I was sending them in an average of every four months wasn't exactly the sort of reliability I was looking for. Had I known I could just buy the JVCs the first time they failed, I'd have saved the postage and written their failure off as yet another life lesson.

For sound quality, the best earbuds I've ever had were Audio Technica ATH-EC7. If cost weren't an issue, I'd be using the updated ATH-EC700ti's right now. Since cost is an issue, my earbud needs are filled well enough by the JVCs.

May 24, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 38
When I had a Mobiblu cube, those were the best buds I've ever heard. Granted I haven't heard Yuins, but they DEMOLISH Marshmallows some of the Denons and the Sony variants. Reminds me most as a KSC75...but a bud.

Extras

I don't know if those are the same ones, but it's worth a shot at $25. I still long for buds that were that good.

May 24, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 38
If you can find a pair of A8 for cheap, you should get them. My friend received a pair from his aunt as a gift and I was given a chance to try them on.

Extremely comfortable, and luscious mids/highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back