Any BT receiver that can transmit audio from an analog microphone?
Nov 28, 2019 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Prognathous

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered a Philips SHP9500 headphone and am considering to get the V-MODA BoomPro microphone cable for them. Is there a BT receiver I could attach to this cable which would transmit my voice to a PC or phone? I own EarStudio ES100 and FiiO BTR3, but since they both include built-in (and pretty bad) microphones I assume they don't support external microphones over the 3.5mm jack.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 11
FiiO BTR5 for now, Qudelix-5K if you are willing to wait 3~4 months.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for replying. It turns out a separate microphone isn't the only thing needed for high quality calls over BT, but also support for FastStream codec. At least according to Avantree. Unfortunately it doesn't seem there's any BT receiver that supports this codec at the moment. Only some headphones/headsets do, but all of them are closed-back, which in my opinion makes them barely usable for calls.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for replying. It turns out a separate microphone isn't the only thing needed for high quality calls over BT, but also support for FastStream codec. At least according to Avantree. Unfortunately it doesn't seem there's any BT receiver that supports this codec at the moment. Only some headphones/headsets do, but all of them are closed-back, which in my opinion makes them barely usable for calls.

FastStream is a hack developed by CSR (same company that develops aptX, now part of Qualcomm) that is not compatible to Bluetooth's standard, thus almost no one supports it. I won't bet on it getting widespread adoption anytime soon.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 11
Is there any other BT codec that's supposed to offer good support for voice (e.g. Skype)? If not, then I'll settle for a hack. Being tethered to my seat when making calls gets old after a while...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 11
Is there any other BT codec that's supposed to offer good support for voice (e.g. Skype)? If not, then I'll settle for a hack. Being tethered to my seat when making calls gets old after a while...

By default, voice is handled by A2DP to either CVSD or PCM codec, but with limited bandwidth as neither is meant for high quality audio (as bandwidth is reserved for sending audio to the BT receiver, nor for sending voice back). The problem for you is that you need both your smartphone (which I don't know any that does) as well as the receiver to support FastStream in order for the codec to work, and gears are few and far between.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Update: I didn't find a BT receiver that supports FastStream, though Avantree's upcoming AS70 is supposed to. In the meanwhile I bought the Creative SB Jam open-back BT headphones which support FastStream and I'm glad to report that they work great for voice coupled with Avantree Leaf USB dongle.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 11
What about standalone wireless mic units? including high SQ for broadcast journalists

Sure best if integrated, but I don't want to be at all restricted in my choice of cans, or BT transmitter /receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back