Any anybody tried amping the ksc75?
May 7, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
If the phones are tough to drive, they need an amp.

Sixty ohms or not, those Koss drivers are not a tough drive.

I think the KSC75 with a PIMETA sounded much fuller and more well-extended than unamped out of a PCDP or DAP. A headphone doesn't have to be "hard to drive" in order to improve with an amp.

May 7, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Yeah, yeah, we get it, you drive your K1000 from an iPod.
rolleyes.gif

Why do people keep taking my quotes out of context?

If you find the original post: I stated that the iPod drives the K1000s to listenable levels
I don't do my K1000 listenings from an iPod
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

I think the KSC75 with a PIMETA sounded much fuller and more well-extended than unamped out of a PCDP or DAP. A headphone doesn't have to be "hard to drive" in order to improve with an amp.

Ditto... of course, the really major improvement comes with the K501, as both of us know
wink.gif
. I couldn't believe the difference between a Go-Vibe (even running on 18v) and a Pimeta with the K501... huge improvement. My DT880 didn't improve nearly as much in comparison.

May 7, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

I'm not going to argue with you about what you heard- I don't know what your PCDP or DAP are/were, and I'm also not familiar with what your PIMETA does to the signal.

It certainly could change the sound if it's boosting one portion of the signal or something.

Please know, though, that louder music will almost always be perceived as better. See if you still feel that way after carefully adjusting the output levels with and without the amp in the chain to achieve the same volume.

I have, and heard no dif. If you find differently, so be it.

May 7, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

I think they definitely showed noticeable improvement with an amp.

Same here. The biggest differences for me (with my PRII) are better soundstage and tighter positioning.

May 7, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by atart
off topic, but is it easy to take the silver driver housing off the ksc75, i'd like to paint them with spray paint instead of a sharpie, possible?

Probably, but doing it with a sharpie adds that unique "ghetto" and "lazy office day" effect to them.

May 7, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

I'm not going to argue with you about what you heard- I don't know what your PCDP or DAP are/were, and I'm also not familiar with what your PIMETA does to the signal.

It certainly could change the sound if it's boosting one portion of the signal or something.

Please know, though, that louder music will almost always be perceived as better. See if you still feel that way after carefully adjusting the output levels with and without the amp in the chain to achieve the same volume.

I run them through my Portaphile, but at the same volume and notice great improvements, especially tightening up the bass.

May 7, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #26 of 33
Oh man, my KSC-35s really SHINE when I plug them into my PA2V2... would love to hear them through something nicer =)

May 7, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Tried it with a headsave classic. I hear better sound with a lower volume than the headphone out. There's more space between notes and the details come out better over the whole frequency range.
The KSCs are fine without an amp and to tell you the truth with a MINT the differences are very small. But they do improve with an amp. They don't become a different headphone but they do improve.

May 7, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I still don't get the KSC-75 craze, I thought they got spanked by the PX100s.

Well....I was in portable bliss when thought I was wearing KSC-75s...but it turns out I was actually listening to my MS-1
evil_smiley.gif

No seriously, they are good, especially for $10.

They get better amped. But I like using the KSC-75 with a 73 ohm adapter (Ety P-->S adapter) to tone down the brightness....and of course an amp would better drive this 133 ohm load.

May 7, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

They get louder with an amp and that's it.

People are modding and recabling their KSC-75s because they're the FotM right now, and a steal for $10-20, and it's human nature to want to monkey with something you're excited about.

It will wear off once everyone realizes they're decent $50-75 phones and nothing more (which is still high praise, and this is coming from a guy who swears by his PortaPros).

I disagree with this. The ksc75 are definitely not FotM. If you do a search people have been praising these things for over a year and it will likely continue. The reason that people are so into modding these things isn't only because of the hype, but because they are so cheap you can afford to experiment.

I can say that my MS1 and HD280 spank the ksc75 also but when you look at the price difference the ksc75 hold their own really well. Listening to the ksc75 and MS1 unamped from my cd player I would have to say that the ksc75 are easily half the value of the MS1.

I haven't tried them amped yet, but with a good amp I seriously doubt that all the they is get louder.
tongue.gif

May 7, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I disagree with this. The ksc75 are definitely not FotM.

The KSCs have been given praise here from moment I got here. Back then it was the 35s and the then new 50s, now the 75s. There is a bit more talk about them now because of the low price ATM. But you're right these things aren't FoTM they're FoHF (Flavour of Head-Fi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back