Any anybody tried amping the ksc75?
May 6, 2006 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
Does the sound improve any better ? thanks, Im deciding to see if its worth to drive over to my friends home...he's 50 miles away.....If it doesnt..i rather not go....

May 6, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 33
I thought they improved greatly. Bass gained impact, and it seemed that the overall dynamics increased.

May 6, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 33
Jebus, you have the oddest requests on these forums it seems...

anyway, I have the KSC75 w/ a PA2V2, and I can't do it unamped now...the soundstage, the clarity, the refined bass, the higher, precise treble...it's just great. It's not mindblowing, but I love it. Makes the 75 sound like a high can. And what, we only paid like $20 for it; crazy stuff.

May 7, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
Does the sound improve any better ? thanks, Im deciding to see if its worth to drive over to my friends home...he's 50 miles away.....If it doesnt..i rather not go....

Big time! I just got home from a 3 hour walk and these little suckers rocked with my Ipod thru a PA2V2. they really improve in the mid bass area.

must be there 60 ohm rating? I know the pod wants to see 16 ohms.

May 7, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 33
I still don't get the KSC-75 craze, I thought they got spanked by the PX100s.

May 7, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli

They are spanked but at $10 and no head band, I find myself using them more.

May 7, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 33
I've amped my KTX-Pro1s (same drivers)... they do improve quite a bit, but the headphones are still obviously the bottleneck with just about any amp. IMO they can sound great, but really don't compete with any over-$60 headphones we consider good around here, at least going by criteria like coherency, cleanness, detail, soundstage, etc.

May 7, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 33
I think they definitely showed noticeable improvement with an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli

I agree - I think it's more a value proposition, since the PX100 is four times more expensive.

May 7, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 33
People don't mod, recable, and balance their KSC's for nothing (I hope)
biggrin.gif

Yeah, from a value perspective, the PX100's are 3-4X as costly but not that much, if at all in some people's opinions, better than the KSC's.

May 7, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 33
They get louder with an amp and that's it.

People are modding and recabling their KSC-75s because they're the FotM right now, and a steal for $10-20, and it's human nature to want to monkey with something you're excited about.

It will wear off once everyone realizes they're decent $50-75 phones and nothing more (which is still high praise, and this is coming from a guy who swears by his PortaPros).

May 7, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac

People are modding and recabling their KSC-75s because they're the FotM right now, and a steal for $10-20.

It will wear off once everyone realizes they're decent $50-75 phones and nothing more (which is still high praise, and this is coming from a guy who swears by his PortaPros).

Amen
To go one step further: I find very few phones improve with an amp for flat EQ music

May 7, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac

Frankly I don't think that's true for any headphone, not even iBuds. It's a basic principle of electronics that low impedance headphones need a lot of juice in the form of current, which built-in jacks often don't adequately provide. Koss headphones qualify as relatively low impedance, at 60 ohms.

It does depend what music you listen to... some sub-genres out there are recorded so poorly nowadays that the distortion is inherent in the recording itself (up to and including constant digital clipping), and amping really won't clean anything up. If you add MP3s into the mix, you're really into "doesn't matter" territory at that point.

May 7, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
To go one step further: I find very few phones improve with an amp for flat EQ music

Yeah, yeah, we get it, you drive your K1000 from an iPod.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back