Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #5,461 of 6,444
Just started watching Tiger and Bunny, since I skipped it last season. It's actually surprisingly refreshing with the corporate sponsored hero idea. Liking it a lot. 
k701smile.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #5,462 of 6,444

Quote:

Equus, so im jealous that you got the new Macross Frontier movie on BD from japan...but it has no english subs on it...do you know japanese?

Funny thing is I don't have the first movie on BD, but the box the second one comes in obviously has space for another case, so I may end up getting the first one just to satisfy the obsessive/compulsive in me.

Yup...no English subs.  I don't honestly know Japanese well enough to get a lot of stuff just from the dialogue, but I understand bits and pieces so I can usually tell what's happening in context.  It's kind of an odd way to watch anime, but it's actually easier on me than I would have probably thought.  Maybe because I have about 4 years of Japanese classes scattered in high school and college, but it also probably helps that I'm from a Japanese American family and my grandparents on my dad's side spoke very little English.  So I'm a little used to not always understanding explicitly what is being said, but contextually figuring it out.  Strangely enough, most of the Japanese form my childhood are phrases about being noisy or naughty. 
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #5,463 of 6,444
So far Usagi Drop is nowhere near what I expected. I've only watched one episode, but it's definitely worth watching. Also, you don't need to be a parent to really get into this anime. Heartwarmingly emotion-tugging is how I would describe it.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #5,464 of 6,444
Quote:
Just started watching Tiger and Bunny, since I skipped it last season. It's actually surprisingly refreshing with the corporate sponsored hero idea. Liking it a lot. 
k701smile.gif

T&B was pretty good. It was kinda predictable and corny but entertaining. =)

Quote:
So far Usagi Drop is nowhere near what I expected. I've only watched one episode, but it's definitely worth watching. Also, you don't need to be a parent to really get into this anime. Heartwarmingly emotion-tugging is how I would describe it.

Yeah it's very cute. You don't need to be a parent to like it but it does hit home a lot if you are one. I think I read somewhere how some fans were joking that it was a propaganda series to get the Japanese birth rate up. =p

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #5,465 of 6,444
Just snagged a copy of The Borrower Arrietty to check out. Once again, an anime that was on my list to watch when it was announced, completely disappeared from my radar until I saw an article announcing the English release next year...Going to give it a whirl when I get a bit of time!

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #5,466 of 6,444
Just watched Macross Frontier - Sayonara no Tsubasa.

Oh man so ridiculous, awesome, stupid, hilarious, stunning, and wonderful. It's the core tenants of the Macross series on crack and with awesome animation, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just not something you want to apply your brain too much. If you've seen the tv series they change a lot plot-wise though.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #5,467 of 6,444
Finished the entire Ghibli filmography. Some of them were incredible, while others were barely worthwhile.
I expect some to disagree violently with my ranking:

God tier:
- Spirited Away
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
- Whisper of the Heart
- Princess Mononoke

Awesome tier:
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Ponyo on the Cliff
- Porco Rosso
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Good tier:
- The Cat Returns
- Howl's Moving Castle
- The Borrower Arrietty
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Tales from earthsea

Meh tier:
- Ocean Waves
- Only Yesterday
- Pom Poko
- My Neighbors the Yamadas

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #5,468 of 6,444

Quote:
Finished the entire Ghibli filmography. Some of them were incredible, while others were barely worthwhile.
I expect some to disagree violently with my ranking:
God tier:
- Spirited Away
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
- Whisper of the Heart
- Princess Mononoke
Awesome tier:
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Ponyo on the Cliff
- Porco Rosso
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Good tier:
- The Cat Returns
- Howl's Moving Castle
- The Borrower Arrietty
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Tales from earthsea
Meh tier:
- Ocean Waves
- Only Yesterday
- Pom Poko
- My Neighbors the Yamadas

mad.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #5,473 of 6,444
5 Centimeters does have polar opinions at times though, for different people.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was pretty good. Not enough for amazing status, but good. I love the soundtrack on it though.

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #5,474 of 6,444
5 Centimeters does have polar opinions at times though, for different people.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was pretty good. Not enough for amazing status, but good. I love the soundtrack on it though.

I just finished watching both and in my opinion they are both excellent.

5 Centimeters per Second was incredible and I am really touched by it's beauty. Although I can definitely understand why people would dislike this kind of movie.

The Girl Who Leapt Through time was just plain amazing. It's one of the best movies I have seen to this date, and imo better than Spirtited Away. I was actually crying for the last 10 minutes of the movie.
The only movies that come to mind that really surpass it are some of Akira Kurosawa's masterpieces. Then again, they are of a completely different genre. :D

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #5,475 of 6,444
I just finished 5 cm/s as well, after reading the last few posts. Thought it was fantastic, I've never watched anything like it before. The animation was incredible, along with the soundtrack and sound effects. The wind and grass sounds, made me like my hd650s even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back