Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 5, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #5,282 of 6,444

Quote:
I'm in a gem-seeking mood. just downloaded quite a lot of stuff and none of it is giving me a hit yet.

What would you guys say are your "game-changing" anime? stuff that you watch and feel more than the normal minor tinge of sadness you get when a good anime ends.

Ones that make you all sentimental or decide to approach life differently are solid indicators. Or they could be great for other reasons like twists or a very gripping plot (code geass)

I would have to say, in no particular order:

Great Teacher Onizuka (first non-saturday morning anime ever watched)
Elfen lied
Fullmetal alchemist & brotherhood (borderline)
Code Geass R2 
welcome to the NHK (very borderline)
Clannad after story
Spice and wolf 2nd season (borderline)
Angel beats! 
Steins;gate 
My neighbour totoro (borderline)

Ones that don't quite make the list but are still good anime:

both higurashi seasons (quite good, but no elfen lied)
Ouran highschool host club
Bakemonogatari (really enjoyed)
Melancholy of suzumiya haruhi 
Magical girl madoka
Anohana
Darker than black
Beelzebub (although I can see it turning into a bleach-like anime)
Saikano (depressing)
FLCL
Sora no otoshimono (if you're just looking for some light fanservice anime)
Chobits
School rumble (didn't have a strong personal impact, but could have been my mood after watching something else...)
Neon Genesis
Toradora

Thats more anime's then i have seen in my life.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #5,283 of 6,444

Quote:
Thats more anime's then i have seen in my life.

And I recommend every one of them.
It's a large portion of what I've watched too, since I rarely finish anime's I don't enjoy. there are some which I didn't list here due to embarassment - things like ah! my goddess..

Quote:
Hmm, it seems like I watched everything that you listed except for Sora no Otoshimono.

Do you have any recommendations judging by my trends? I'm up for anything really.

Watched 3 eps of fate/stay night yesterday, and i'm enjoying it enough to finish the series. Also need to go back and finish claymore. Finished ef - a tale of memories last night as well. It was decent, but I'll postpone melodies till after exams.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #5,284 of 6,444

Quote:
I'm in a gem-seeking mood. just downloaded quite a lot of stuff and none of it is giving me a hit yet.

What would you guys say are your "game-changing" anime? stuff that you watch and feel more than the normal minor tinge of sadness you get when a good anime ends.

Ones that make you all sentimental or decide to approach life differently are solid indicators. Or they could be great for other reasons like twists or a very gripping plot (code geass)

I would have to say, in no particular order:

Great Teacher Onizuka (first non-saturday morning anime ever watched)
Elfen lied
Fullmetal alchemist & brotherhood (borderline)
Code Geass R2 
welcome to the NHK (very borderline)
Clannad after story
Spice and wolf 2nd season (borderline)
Angel beats! 
Steins;gate 
My neighbour totoro (borderline)

Ones that don't quite make the list but are still good anime:

both higurashi seasons (quite good, but no elfen lied)
Ouran highschool host club
Bakemonogatari (really enjoyed)
Melancholy of suzumiya haruhi 
Magical girl madoka
Anohana
Darker than black
Beelzebub (although I can see it turning into a bleach-like anime)
Saikano (depressing)
FLCL
Sora no otoshimono (if you're just looking for some light fanservice anime)
Chobits
School rumble (didn't have a strong personal impact, but could have been my mood after watching something else...)
Neon Genesis
Toradora

Quote:

It's a large portion of what I've watched too, since I rarely finish anime's I don't enjoy. there are some which I didn't list here due to embarassment - things like ah! my goddess..
Do you have any recommendations judging by my trends? I'm up for anything really.

Watched 3 eps of fate/stay night yesterday, and i'm enjoying it enough to finish the series. Also need to go back and finish claymore. Finished ef - a tale of memories last night as well. It was decent, but I'll postpone melodies till after exams.

I have seen the highlighted shows.

Elfen lied and Spice and Wolf are my 2 favorite animes of all time so far.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #5,285 of 6,444

Quote:

I have seen the highlighted shows.

Elfen lied and Spice and Wolf are my 2 favorite animes of all time so far.

Oh yeah? if you haven't seen steins;gate or angel beats, they're my recommendations for next-in-line, especially since angel beats is so short. It just so happens I gave my mate a microSD card with those two series the other day. he loved it.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #5,287 of 6,444
Its a lot of Moe and ecchi, but have you tried Chobits? I got it back in high school when all I wanted was some borderline hentai and it actually turned out to be rather heart wrenching. You start off like "oh pft another ecchi moe crap bag" but soon you start thinking of her more like a puppy and then by the end it gets really.....warm, i guess is a good word. Give chobits a go.

@boirefish

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #5,288 of 6,444
Just watched the first episode of Chihaya Furu. The OP was very good, but the ED was a bit meh.
Other than that it looks quite promising. Animation isn't bad, and setting isn't that bad either.

I had to look up if Karuta actually exists though. (why did they choose such an obsure thing to foreigners?)

I'm trying to watch Mashiro-iro Symphony - The Color of Lovers - as well, but I can't seem to find a release with subs. Should I be more patient? :p

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #5,289 of 6,444
Quote:
Just watched the first episode of Chihaya Furu. The OP was very good, but the ED was a bit meh.

Heh I liked the ED more than the OP.

It's about a children's card game.......that sure brings back the memories.
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #5,290 of 6,444

Quote:

I guess I would recommend Monster and Hajime no Ippo for now.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #5,291 of 6,444
There are way more gems in manga than anime.
So many good things don't get animated and won't get animated.
There is also more variety and subjects.
You also can get more mature,darker and twisted series with manga

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #5,292 of 6,444

Quote:

Yes but few of those are released in english legally.

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #5,293 of 6,444
It's about a children's card game.......that sure brings back the memories.
tongue.gif

Today I asked a good Japanese friend whether he knows what it was. Apparently he knew what it was, and played it before, but at the time he didn't see the point in it.
The game just seems so weird and pointless, I don't get why you would love it so much as some of the characters in Chihaya Furu do.

I also found a subtitled version of Mashiro-iro Symphony (the Zenyaku release). The characters look beautiful (in an aesthetic manner, not a sexual one), and the art style in general is quite good. The OP was good, the ED was average.
I can't comment on the setting yet, since the pilot was very dry on actual content; only a small part of the setting is revealed in the first episode.
It can turn out to become more complicated later on, but then again the plot can turn out to be very shallow as well. I haven't read the manga, so there is no way to know.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #5,294 of 6,444

Quote:
I guess I would recommend Monster and Hajime no Ippo for now. 

I watched a few eps of Monster before and thought it was quite intriguing, but had to stop since there were so many episodes and it was right before exams. going to start again as soon as exams finish.
Quote:

Oh yeah? I'm looking for the dark compelling stories, but for some reason all the manga recommended so far is the mainstream light stuff like to love-ru - so any pointers would be much appreciated.

Really enjoying "SAKURA difference" from fate/stay night atm. the bridge near the end is quite a soother.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #5,295 of 6,444

Quote:
Its a lot of Moe and ecchi, but have you tried Chobits? I got it back in high school when all I wanted was some borderline hentai and it actually turned out to be rather heart wrenching. You start off like "oh pft another ecchi moe crap bag" but soon you start thinking of her more like a puppy and then by the end it gets really.....warm, i guess is a good word. Give chobits a go.
@boirefish

Haha yes, i have watched chobits - thoroughly enjoyed the series. Should have that on my list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back