Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #3,122 of 6,444

Quote:
Hrmm...Gurren Lagann...maybe I'll use that as my "light" series after Persona. I still haven't watched more than an episode or two of it.

You gotta give Gurren Lagann a chance to grow on you.  Take my word for it on this.  When I first started watching it, I immediately thought it must be another silly type of anime more geared to kids, typical Shonen. 

After several episodes I realized it's like nothing I've ever seen that fits into easy categories like Shonen and Seinen and I absolutely love it, but what makes it unique and awesome becomes apparent after several episodes, not right at the beginning. 

May 6, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #3,123 of 6,444
Nice vote of confidence.  I'll definitely watch it...I mean, I have the DVDs sitting around in my apartment...and I have two garage resin kits that I may build one day or another from that show too.

I got through the first disc of Claymore.  I might see if I can get the blu-ray a chance off Netflix to see if I want to invest in them or not before continuing.  Or maybe I'm just making up excuses for my rampant procrastination.

May 6, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #3,124 of 6,444

Quote:
I finished up Sola a bit ago and it was really good. It's a lot like AIR. It is very slow in the beginning but it slowly builds and by the 8th or 9th episode you are pretty at the edge of your seat to find out what will happen next.

It's never been a terribly popular anime in the US but it won anime of the year in Japan in 2007.

Try watching H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~, you might like it as it is similar to AIR and Sola.

May 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #3,125 of 6,444
I need to go back and read through the 200+ pages of this thread, but I've recently been hooked on more mature/dark anime series. I'm a huge fan of Berserk and Shiguri. Both of these are ridiculously violent animes that children should definitely not watch.

Looking for any suggestions that might be similar to those two
popcorn.gif

May 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3,126 of 6,444

Quote:
Try watching H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~, you might like it as it is similar to AIR and Sola.

I watched those three series and H2O was my least favorite among them.

Quote:
I need to go back and read through the 200+ pages of this thread, but I've recently been hooked on more mature/dark anime series. I'm a huge fan of Berserk and Shiguri. Both of these are ridiculously violent animes that children should definitely not watch.

popcorn.gif

Hmm I would suggest Elfen Lied if you haven't watched since it's another violent series.

May 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #3,127 of 6,444
Quote:
For those wondering when certain series air and when to expect fansubbers to release episodes, refer to this airing guide that is updated every few minutes. I've been using this for a while and thought I'd share. :)
http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/

Oooh, shiny. I'll definitely use that reference now that I know it's there.

May 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #3,128 of 6,444

Quote:

popcorn.gif

I would suggest Blood+ and Darker than Black (there's 2 season for this) if you have not watched them. 

May 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #3,129 of 6,444

Quote:
Oooh, shiny. I'll definitely use that reference now that I know it's there.

And for the next season, you can use this as reference to see which fansub group is subbing which series.
http://www.fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_SUMMER_2010

May 7, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #3,130 of 6,444

Quote:

popcorn.gif

I liked Darker Than Black a lot, but I think it was a little more toward psychological, though it does have action and some of it is pretty graphic.

If you're looking for the crazy violent side, Elfen Lied has already been suggested.  A friend of mine really liked what he saw of Higurashi - When They Cry.  Another on the more graphic side that is also definitely for a mature audience may be RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~.

If you like the darker side and don't mind a little less of the graphic violence, there's also Basilisk, Samurai 7, and the first Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) OAV is excellent.  There's also Texhnolyze, which is one of my all-time favorite anime.  It's just one that I can only really watch once every two years or so for fear of damaging my psyche.

May 7, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #3,132 of 6,444
LOL...well I would say the same thing about Naruto, but thousands of Narutards would call me wrong and want to rip out my intestines.  There really wasn't anything that I felt compelling in my research on Elfen Lied, so I can't really say how good it is.  It is (or was, at least) stupidly popular.

May 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #3,133 of 6,444
The only thing Elfen Lied lacked was in the animation and character designs. Just too generic.

May 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #3,134 of 6,444
I really liked Elfen Lied. I don't get the hate. The story was pretty meh, but I thought there was more than enough to like about it besides that.

May 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #3,135 of 6,444
My sister liked Elfen Lied, but I've been too lazy to get around to watching it. I'm also quite interested in finding out how TTGL is the shiz. A guy told me there would explosions or breasts taking up at least 60% of the screen every three seconds, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back