Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Aug 11, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #1,516 of 6,444
As a resident comedy fan, I feel that this is one of better times in the anime scene with a few excellent shows to choose from. (As an icing on the cake, the second season of Dokuro-chan is supposed to be airred today
biggrin.gif
) With a bit of generalization across respective episodes,

Want a laid-back loli-moe seires with a truckload of aha! moments, subtle and clever jokes?
Lucky☆Star (dont forget to write fanletters to akira-sama)

What about a plethora of harmless yet timely parody wrapped around in a cheerful atmosphere?
Hayate no Gotoku! (Not a PPD buster in terms of sheer number of parodies, but still enough to give fansubbers a hell... Oh, did I say moe?)

The above two are by far my top picks ATM, bar none.

Some crazy Shaft™-flavored poignantly sarcastic, intense, bizzare (if no slightly ecchi) fun:
Zetsubou Sensei (many fans of the original work attest to the Shaft™-effect at work, adding something special to already spectacular manga)

For your bishoujou transformation needs:
Moetan (Well, this show is mostly in the loli-moe territory, but I do find it rather funny at times
wink.gif
)

Last but not least, Azumanga-like cute, static comedy:
Potemayo (Actually, the show most resembles Pugyuru more than anything else)

My eyes are overwhelmed with moe when watching moetan (the show lives up to its name, heh), while I find myself laughing more hysterically clapping my hands with Z-2bow. Personally, I believe this type of innocuous dojiko heroine as Ink is the most natural and fitting role for Yukarin, as opposed to, say, the overgrown version of loli-Nanoha :|

Not to say that everything is peachy and perfect, however..

recycled tele-marketting / male-protagonist-abuse jokes from hell : Seto no Hanayome
0/10 for trite, cliche and non-existant humor : Zero no Tsukaima 2nd season

Granted, I am still watching both; the former since I came this far with it anyway, and the latter for Louise the tsundere queen. Wonder if they are still airing Nagasareta Ailanto, I might give it another try when it finishes just for the C.Saeko-factor.

Of course all that is completely subjective, just my 2cents.

Beside comedy, I kinda like CODE-E; the series certainly has an super-low-budget feel, yet it manages to avoid trying too much and too hard. Nothing jawdropping or awe-inspiring, though not bad for studio deen I would say.

Other shows I am keeping track of include:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (one of my favs from July, much better than the prequel)
Gurenragan (most everyone seems to acknowledge its magnificience, so I wont waste my breath going over it)
Nanatsuiro Drops (Sumomo's crybaby tendency is starting to get on my nerves, but Ito Noiji's drawing more than makes up for it)
School Days (I swear I am gonna go crazy if they dont do something about those cracks/creases above eyelashes and/or go with one of kotonoha routes)
Mushiuta (still kinda confused with plot and setting)
Doujin Work (seems to be getting a lot of flack lately, but whatever)

Just when would I get started on the whole Nanoha affair (missed out on the 1st AND the 2nd season
frown.gif
)?

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #1,517 of 6,444
For anyone who liked pani poni dash or has a dark/twisted sense of humor, check out Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei. I've been watching that, plus Seto no Hanayome, Hayate no Gotoku and Heroic Age have still kept my attention.

Something that has bothered me lately... i've never really watched FMA but everyone seems to love it. What's so great about it? I've watched a few episodes but nothing really caught my attention. Now i've only seen the english dubed adult swim version so it blew my mind when I read Rie Kugamiya (Nagi, Shana, Louise) did Al's voice! I know its not uncommon for women to do the role of a young male... but Rie?

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #1,518 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've never really watched FMA but everyone seems to love it. What's so great about it?

It appeals to the inner shouta complex of a great many women. The story itself is nothing special, not to say it's bad in any way.

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #1,521 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MikoLayer, what on Earth do you mean by "tele-marketting"?
confused.gif

edit: oops, I guess its more like a shopping channel. I thought you would get the idea either way though.

If you sat through Angerune or Magikano, you really wouuld know without asking - they do it like in every episode (not that I find it any humorous at all)

Forgot which episode to be exact, but they pulled it again in eps11 or so when San-chan's father was eager to give her diet supplements, if Seto no Hanayome is what you mean that is.

I think I am quite addicted to Taisho.a by anNina. The synergy it creates with the visuals deserves multiple viewings of the ending sequence over and over again
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #1,522 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: oops, I guess its more like a shopping channel. I thought you would get the idea either way though.

If you sat through Angerune or Magikano, you really wouuld know without asking - they do it like in every episode (not that I find it any humorous at all)

Forgot which episode to be exact, but they pulled it again in eps11 or so when San-chan's father was eager to give her diet supplements, if Seto no Hanayome is what you mean that is.

Nup. I still don't know what you're talking about.
plainface.gif
Do you mean like fake ads for stuff?

I recently watched All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, TV and DASH series. (I haven't seen the OVA).

The TV was the better one. It's basically a dumb comedy show. There's no fan service as the main boy character is a child, but lots of silliness - kinda like an early version of Excel Saga. Lots of stereotypes and repeated gags, plus an incompetent "evil" organisation. An okay watch if that appeals to you.
2.5/5

DASH is a "re-imagining" of the story as a magical girlfriend show. It has a few good moments, and it's not painful to watch, but Nuku Nuku doesn't have much personality, and neither does Ryunosuke (grown-up version of the character from the TV and alleged love-interest), or anyone else, if it comes to that. I think it would have been better if, rather than getting more serious, they'd gone the other way and made Nuku even stupider - she is supposed to have the brain of a cat, after all. Watching this show won't kill you, but there's better out there.
1.5/5

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #1,523 of 6,444
Quote:

Do you mean like fake ads for stuff?

Yeah, that would be it. I just dont find the series that funny any more. Enough with Masa-san homo jokes already
tongue.gif

Anyone watching Skygirls by any chance?

I stumbled across some blogger's longwinded rant on the OVA version of the series. He pointed out that J.C.Staff's history of examplary work on slice-of-life or love-come compelete with excllent artwork and stacked voice acting cast (Mahoraba, Nanaka 6/17, Ai yori Aoshi) is sharply contrasted by less than lackluster showings on the series where action scenes actually matter (Tsukihime, Shana, Ikki Tousen).

So apparantely, Skygirls is no exception from the rule; otherwise a solid slice-of-life/love-come elements marred by craptarcular battles clearly out of touch with any military realism or laws of physics. Though he acknowledges how an anime does not need to strive for staunch realism, the thought of this particular show looking more like a corny shoot'em up without much attention paid to battle sequences was hard to stomach, he states.

Now I am strongly prejudiced against the show without even trying it, mabye some of you could convince me out of it.

Speaking of which, I went back and watched Nanaka 6/17 again. It sure was one sweet series... Mahoraba, my all time favorite
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #1,524 of 6,444
Just finished deathnote. I loved it.

Shippuden is really frustrating it is moving so slow. I don't remember the original naruto wasting so much time setting the scene and stretching stuff out.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #1,525 of 6,444
Quote:

I stumbled across some blogger's longwinded rant on the OVA version of the series. He pointed out that J.C.Staff's history of examplary work on slice-of-life or love-come compelete with excllent artwork and stacked voice acting cast (Mahoraba, Nanaka 6/17, Ai yori Aoshi) is sharply contrasted by less than lackluster showings on the series where action scenes actually matter (Tsukihime, Shana, Ikki Tousen).

So apparantely, Skygirls is no exception from the rule; otherwise a solid slice-of-life/love-come elements marred by craptarcular battles clearly out of touch with any military realism or laws of physics. Though he acknowledges how an anime does not need to strive for staunch realism, the thought of this particular show looking more like a corny shoot'em up without much attention paid to battle sequences was hard to stomach, he states.

Now I am strongly prejudiced against the show without even trying it, mabye some of you could convince me out of it.

I think JC Staff did reasonably well on ROD TV and that was about as action oriented as it gets. Also Starship Operators featured some very good tactical starship combat. Spectacular actually, considering that this is anime we're talking about. Expecting anything even resembling realistic out of Sky Girls though is a tad absurd.

I mean, come on. Two of the pilots are untrained girls. The Sonic Divers are barely armored and aerodynamically clumsy, have too few maneuvering surfaces, and basically violate most laws of physics and all laws of aerodynamics. The "armor" is some nanotech nonsense used to make the pilot's body visible during fight scenes. And well... the combat uniform are basically skimpy form fitting catgirl suits...

From all this, you'd pretty much expect that the priority placed on realism and adherence to military tactics is about as far down on this series as it is it is in Gurren Lagann.

As for the show, so far it's a decent slice of (odd) life show, haven't run into any combat yet. It's a solid sideways unless you're a mecha fan.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #1,526 of 6,444
Quote:

Yeah, that would be it. I just dont find the series that funny any more. Enough with Masa-san homo jokes already
tongue.gif

Speaking of which, I went back and watched Nanaka 6/17 again. It sure was one sweet series... Mahoraba, my all time favorite
smily_headphones1.gif

It reminds me quite a bit of Stratos4 (the original series, not the numerous OVAs) in it's cruisy atmosphere. I like the show, nice look, nice feel, nice characters. It's not especially nutricious, but for 25 minutes a week that's not so bad. If I'm after high drama there's always School Days.

What's with the OP, though? I love Mell's music, but that's got to be the worst song shes ever done.

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #1,527 of 6,444
A friend of mine just lend me his Avatar book1 & book2 set. Avatar is very good if you can get past having thought about it as children's show. This is definitely not just children show. I can say it is one of the best anime I watch, I'll definitely will follow season 3 religiously. For you guys, anime lovers, you should watch it, you won't regret it. The background development, each character development (not only main but also back up), plot development, I find them all to be one of the best out there.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #1,530 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently watching Planetes. I was expecting something glossier, maybe more hard sf, but it's still enjoyable. Interesting characters, some lame humour, plot developing nicely.

Gets pretty good at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back