Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Jun 2, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #1,411 of 6,444
I've enjoyed many of the standards discussed here (e.g., Berserk, Evangelon, Cowboy Bebop), but I have really been enjoying the Crest (& Banner) of the Stars and Escaflowne series.

As far as single DVD releses are concerned, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle and Millenium Actress. Very good rentals, IMO.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #1,412 of 6,444
Witch Hunter Robin - Summary: Robin joins a witch-hunting organization, having grown up in an Italian convent. Eventually her powers develop, causing alarm in the European headquarters. At the same time the Japanese organization splits into two hostile factions...

I rented the first volume and thought it had potential (sort-of X-Files/squad-fighting show), so rented the rest. Vol 2 (eps 6-10) was a big disappointment, with repetitive plotting, dumb dialogue and too many "meaningful" silences. I put off watching the rest, but things picked up from vol 3 with betrayals and uncertainties about the allegiances/trustworthiness of various characters. It got a bit less gripping towards the end, but was still basically a satisfying anime.

The character designs are good, but the animation looks stiff (and is also fairly limited, being a TV show). Backgrounds are mostly very sterile and uninteresting, especially the CG texture-mapped interiors. Music is okay, not great. The above-mentioned dumb dialogue rears its head occasionally - basically statements of the extremely obvious or already said.

Tenjho Tenge - Summary: Spectacular martial arts fights at a special high school, an evil Student Council, and bouncy boobs.

I've seen the first two volumes and have enjoyed it so far, though the second volume was five episode of the same battle - and it's still not finished!

The visuals and script are good, allowing for the usual cliches. I just hope it's not all fighting.

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #1,415 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought that Tenjo Tenge wasn't that good. The first episode was fantastic, but the rest of it was kind of boring. If you like this kind of thing , I suggest you watch Ikkitousen instead.

Have you read the manga? IMO the anime is too short (and bleh) for the beautiful artwork and extent of the storyline. Heck, they never even get to explain on the dragon's gate and eye, the red feather families and so on...

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #1,416 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally posted by Zorander
Have you read the manga? IMO the anime is too short (and bleh) for the beautiful artwork and extent of the storyline. Heck, they never even get to explain on the dragon's gate and eye, the red feather families and so on...

I'm not really into manga, just anime, but, yeah, I have seen (not really read) the manga version and admit that the artwork there is indeed gorgeous.

On that note, the best manga artwork I have ever seen are in Battle Angel Alita and Gon. But then, like I said, I'm not into manga that much, so my knowledge about it isn't that great.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #1,417 of 6,444
Lagann episode 11 for the win. Oh yeah, finally break outta that slump, Simon!

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #1,418 of 6,444
Lagann any episode for the win, actually
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #1,421 of 6,444
Lagann is quite awesome to say the least. Probably the series that contains the most ridicuosly epic and cheesy scenes ever that are full of hot blooded action. Gainax when it's the best. Episode 11 was awesome indeed.

Other anime I'm watching though.

Claymore
As some have pointed out before, can be seen as a female sort of Berserk. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I like it. OP/ED is good, animation is ok. Your average shounen-fighting series. On ep10 so far.

Romeo x Juliet
Romeo & Julia, the anime version. Very good so far, great animation quality. Interesting adaption of the original plot, I wonder how this one will turn out towards the end. Soundtrack is good.

Bleach / Naruto
The weekly torture. I have no idea why I'm watching them, mainly because I'm bored, and if I'm lycky, an episode with a bit of amusement. Manga is better in both of their cases.

Seirei no Moribito
Beautiful animation quality/story/music/everything. The battle scenes in the beginning are unimaginably awesome imo. So far this seems to be one of the best SERIOUS (i.e. not your weekly shounen-crap) animes this year. Based on novel(s) of the same name as far as I know, don't quote me on that though. I recommend it greatly.

Darker than BLACK
Made by BONES. Interesting series. About "Contractors". People with special powers that after using their powers have to perform various rituals to keep using them. Don't want to go into it anymore cause then I'd be spoiling it. Currently 10 eps out, haven't watched the last one yet.

The Skullman
A mysterious man in a black suit with a skull mask who is portrayed as the villian currently in the series. A photographer is gathering clues and investigating said villain. Interesting, well made to my standards. Plot seems to be ok so far, evolved to be something more sinister recently than what you expected at first. 7 eps out.

Tales of Symphonia
OVA of the original gamecube game. Crisp animation, seems to be following the game plot exactly so far. Only 1 episode released, 4 planned.

Dennou Coil
Interesting but wierd series to put it shortly. Odd figures/characters. Great OP/ED imo. The cities in the series have advanced electrical networks and it seems like more or less everyone are using a special pair of glasses that enables them to see otherwise invisible objects like virtual pets and gadgets which are connected to this massive network. A group of children run the "Cyberpet Recovery Agency" which investigates dissapearances of cyberpets and other odd events. Can't really put it into words that well, but it's an interesting series so far. 4 episodes translated, 5 out.

El Cazador
An adventure series from the creators of MADLAX and Noir. About 2 girls who crosses each others paths and end up on a journey together. Seems like a slow series, I'm mainly watching it out of curiosity to see how it evolves. Nothing groundbreaking or amazing, average anime. 10 subbed eps, 11 out total.

Sisters of Wellber
Pretty much the same as above (not from the same creator). 2 girls end up on a journey together to prevent a war to break out against their country. Likeable characters for some perhaps, contains an annoying fairy that adds "-beru" after each spoken line aswell as a talking tank
tongue.gif

Bokura no
15 individuals discover a cave and end up signing a contract to what they belive was a "game", where they control a giant robot and fight off invading robots. However it ends up to be something far more serious. The series covers the lives and history of these individuals, how they cope with what has happened and what is happening to them as they fight their enemies. One of the most awesome OP's of this season imo.

Then there's also Death Note, but most of you are probably familliar with the manga since before and the series have been going on for a while. Great show. Then we have Code Geass, great action and plot twisting that'll make you go "I totally didn't expect that". Mecha and CLAMP combined? Does it go well? Yes, actually it does. This series left me shivering with excitement after every other episode. Damn cliffhanger situation right now as the last two episodes are going to be released sometime during summer. Can't wait for the second season to be aired, I belive one should be in production as it was announced some time ago if I remember correctly. Another good tip for a mecha series is Reideen. Best CG I've seen in a while in recent mecha series, I guess they focus a bit too much on showing of the fancy summoning sequence of Reideen though
tongue.gif

Yes, I guess I watch too much anime sometimes. It's a good season for once, hehe.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #1,422 of 6,444
Oh, and as AndrewB wrote above, Ghost Hunt. Watch it. Enjoyable and at times very tense series. Chapter based (a few eps for each case). Very entertaining imo.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #1,423 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lagann episode 11 for the win. Oh yeah, finally break outta that slump, Simon!

Yep, I was afraid of the typical whiny, introverted, Evangelion Shinji-type, etc. protagonist but this is becoming pretty cool. The series doesn't take itself to seriously, great stuff and excellent soundtrack, too. Simply a great series.

I still don't get it why the whiny type protagonist is so popular anyway. Certainly annoying as hell. I want to see more of the A****a no Joe type of hero. Some kind of badass protagonist who doesn't give a ****.

Last episode of Seirei Moributo was great, too. Very authentic and real, amazing series, too.

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #1,424 of 6,444
yep, the cat's outta the bag now that Simon is actually the guy in the first scene of the first episode, all grown up, and all of this is a flashback before the battle. fooled me for a bit that the big bro was that guy, but not for long...

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #1,425 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't get it why the whiny type protagonist is so popular anyway. Certainly annoying as hell.

What bugs me is obnoxious, nasty female characters who we're supposed to like - there's actually quite a few of them around once you start noticing it, starting at least with Asuka from Eva. They order people around, are completely selfish and insensitive and cruel, and we're supposed to think it's cute. There was a little girl in Strawberry Marshmallow who I seriously wanted to kill....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back