Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Jun 1, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #766 of 6,444
What annoys me the most in many anime series is the relationship between the main character and his girl friend (usually they've been friends from little kids). It's always so clear that they have something more than friendship going on but nothing ever happens between them. Or if something happens it ends up in some ridiculous way. It just makes me angry sometimes.

[size=medium]SPOILER ALERT!!![/size]

This happens at least in Hajime no Ippo, Hikaru no Go, FMA and FMP. And of course Bleach, but it hasn't ended yet.

Jun 1, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #767 of 6,444
Finally following Trigun closely enough to finish the series. The show has such a great story that twists every episode. Also trying to get Neon Genesis Evangelion finished up, which I've been enjoying a lot as well.

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #768 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by so_cal_forever
Also trying to get Neon Genesis Evangelion finished up, which I've been enjoying a lot as well.

make sure to watch the movie too.

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #769 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso
That and the end of His And her Circumstances was beyond awful. Which sucks because i loved the story and the opening still gives me goosebumps. Hell, i skip the last couple of episodes of S.Cry.ed because the angsty fight sequence between Azuma and Ryuhou was so damn annoying. Which again sucks because I loved the rest of the series.

Oh noes, His and Her Circumstances is sitting on my shelf waiting to be watched :p Oh well, what's a great anime series without a disappointing ending. It's incredibly rare that you get to the end and say "wow that was wrapped up just the way I was hoping!" Maybe they need to make the ending early in the progression of the series so the animators/directors aren't burnt out and time curnched while making the last episode.

As you said, Scryed is a prime example of a rushed ending to an otherwise very interesting series.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #770 of 6,444
Finished up Ikki Tousen today. I've been running into a number of cool Ikki Tousen figures so I wanted to see what the hype was and picked up the series. I'm convinced that "Ikki Tousen" means "Panty Fighter" in Japanese. This series was packed to the brim with more panty than a Victoria's Secret catalog. Now that everyone has stopped reading my brief review and are on their way to Best Buy to buy this set I'll discuss my feelings on the plot. Ikki Tousen is the typical school versus school brawl (similar to Tenjho Tenge), however there is a tie in with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and each fighter and their fate is tied to a particular person in history. This is represented by a "bead" all the "fighters" wear on their ears shaped like a mitama. The whole mitama thing isn't exactly concrete as to why everyone is still passing them down after all these years, but I don't think people will be concentrating on this. Watching the series wasn't a bad way to pass the time, although for times when you aren't in the mood to see 5000x anime panties / torn shirts / exposed butts / boobs / sexual situations / multiple lesbian encounters you might as well watch something else.
wink.gif
Since we're talking about endings, it wasn't bad. 3/5

Jun 2, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #771 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Finished up Ikki Tousen today. I've been running into a number of cool Ikki Tousen figures so I wanted to see what the hype was and picked up the series.

Hah, seeing this figure was what got me curious about Ikki Tousen...
evil_smiley.gif

animecorner_1896_110192262

But I pretty much agree with your assessment...the amount of fan service was just ridiculous. And I wish they HAD shown more of Kanu...they made her out as some kind of crazy strong warrior and then hardly show her other then that one match.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #773 of 6,444
Just finished the OVA of FMP,
the shows that I am aftering this month/last month
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (also have read the novel,finished book 6)
Fate stay night (lets see if it's bad ending or happy ending)
Utaware(I like the opening music)
School Rumble the second term (aftering its manga too)
xxxHOLiC(I've read its manga years ago )
Inukami(at first I was interested in it because of Horie yui san which is one of my favorite CVs,after I finished Ep1 I felt it was so similar as Urusei Yatsura,
now I had to say "moe" & "hentai" is the point of this show...)
Kamisama (hmm...so so )

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #774 of 6,444
I watched Koi Kaze and that entertained me quite a bit and I really got attached to the characters. It surprised me but I really wanted to see some real relationship development but never got what I was wanting, lol...guess I'm just weird like that
tongue.gif

Pretty much another anime you can file under "stuff D-EJ915 likes."

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #775 of 6,444
I'm much more interested in the journey than the ending, so most anime being mentioned here don't bother me at all. There are quite a few series that I actually left hanging around ep 22-24 simply because I didn't really want to finish it and the specificity of the end didn't interest me very much. That said, I still think Berserk has a great ending! I could easily live with it ending there and not continuing.

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #776 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Hah, seeing this figure was what got me curious about Ikki Tousen...
evil_smiley.gif

Must check out this series... *drool*

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #777 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I'm much more interested in the journey than the ending, so most anime being mentioned here don't bother me at all. There are quite a few series that I actually left hanging around ep 22-24 simply because I didn't really want to finish it and the specificity of the end didn't interest me very much. That said, I still think Berserk has a great ending! I could easily live with it ending there and not continuing.

lol, I know exactly what you mean. I specifically stop watching some series because I don't want 'it' to end because I get so wrapped up in them
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #779 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I watched Koi Kaze and that entertained me quite a bit and I really got attached to the characters. It surprised me but I really wanted to see some real relationship development but never got what I was wanting, lol...guess I'm just weird like that
tongue.gif

Pretty much another anime you can file under "stuff D-EJ915 likes."

You are not alone, I bet many others did myself included. What a lovely show it was, and I am very grateful how they didnt end it in an orthodox "they must get the ending they deserve" type of deal. One of the better shows that came out that year in my book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebell
Utaware(I like the opening music)

While Haruhi does have splendid OP/ED sequences only to be expected from the fabulous show it is, Utawarerumono takes the crown for the OP of the year (well, almost). I think have spent at least an hour if I combine all the time I gazed in awe through that opening video. Another favorite of mine from this year, and probably a tad better IMO, was from Hantsuki, tho it is a different kind of good.

The show itself is uber good too, on par with another soon-to-be-classic Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. The only complaint is how they cheaped out on certain 3D rendered scenes, or reused 2D animations (check eps7 to see what I am talking about). Nonetheless, it still ranks second, only next to omnipotent Haruhi. I seriously doubt there is going to be anything to topple this ever-popular Tokyo Animation work anytime soon, so that really is quite a feat for Utawarerumono. It definitely is a cut above typical low-budgeted gyaruge conversions, readily seen just by checking the robust seiyuu cast.

Currently, I am in the process of catching up on shows of somewhat lesser interest of mine. Disgaea wasnt spectacular, but somehow it managed to hit the spot as previously mentioned. Magical Poka~n actually is quite enjoyable, and it is rapidly climbing up my preference list (Pachira >> Eri). Nishi no Yoki Majou was decent, has a bit of retro feel to it. Tomorrow being weekend, I am hoping to get into Soul Link, Yumetsukai and Love ge Chu as well.

EDIT : Does anyone know of a good place to order some quality posters? I need something from newer series, not like stuff they sell at local anime stores - either archaic like Eva or shounen-mono like Naruto (sorry, not a shotacon here
tongue.gif
)

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #780 of 6,444
In honour of upcoming events, here are a couple of pretty good soccer animes (aside from Captain Tsubasa):

Whistle
Probably the best and certainly the most realistic soccer anime there is. There are no goals from the mid field or crazy golden-tsunami-thunder-bicycle-kicks. If you’ve been playing soccer for most of your life like I did, you’ll love this one. The ending leaves you wanting for more and unfortunately, the manga, which the anime is based on, hasn’t been fully translated yet as far as I know.

Hungry Heart Wild Striker
Has a bunch of physics-non-abiding scenes and “special” shots but I actually like that. More steroids-driven than Whistle or Shoot!. By the maker of Captain Tsubasa but I think this one is more interesting than Tsubasa (nostalgia aside) and advances the plot more quickly.

Shoot!

More old-fashioned than the two titles above but has the good-old-time feeling. Very enjoyable overall and more realistic than Hungry Heart Wild Striker.

All of them don’t exhibit stellar animation but I really like all three of them very much.

Another sports series I’m watching at the moment is Capeta, which is pretty good. It’s about racing and starts with the 11 year old protagonist racing karts. The plot will most likely let him go through all classes till Formula 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back