Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 13, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #721 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Same here. Although my list of top animes is a bit different:

1. Rahxephon
2. Love Hina
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion

those would definately be in my top five...we'll see how The Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya and Nana turn out

forgot to mention trigun. that would round out the top 5.

May 13, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #722 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
[/B]

those would definately be in my top five...we'll see how The Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya and Nana turn out

forgot to mention trigun. that would round out the top 5.

Did you not like Rahxephon or have you not seen it?

May 14, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #723 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
i have this whole haruhi theme going for my phone...i haven't been this excited for an anime since cowboy bebop.
icon10.gif

hey, you are not alone (in that how much fun and joy SoS Dan may bring!)... now try utawarerumono, it is the only series of the equal caliber from this season IMO.

Now onto a rant on Fate/Stay Night anime, halfway through eps18 :

In the original game, Kuzuki was probably one of the most impressive characters of the entire cast in terms of close quater combat. He took Saber by surprise, gripping her on the neck and smashing her into one of the buildings couple tens yards away. You could definitely tell he was something, seeing how destructive the whole sequence was. In contrast, the anime creators adopted a much more watered down version where he holds her in the air for few seconds ala P-Jack style, then thorws her down on the floor. Not only it was a pitiful weak sauce moment, her sword looked like one of those things they sell at Toys-R-Us, bouncing off the floor without any sign of weightiness.

Supposedely there were so many of those bone-based underlings summoned by Caster, so they had to find an alternative to plowing their way through those things. Mysteriously, they all get crushed in an instant once Saber demolishes one of the gate structures that looked pitifully narrow and small - could have covered maybe 30 of those creatures at max. What gives? Its worth noting that shirou was actually crushing them faster than saber could. One of the greatest blessings saber had was her speed combined with her power, but somehow the anime seems to render her as one of the slowest things out there.

There is no way Assasin could collide his katana headlong against Saber's humongous blade; the best he could do was to use his skills to deflect slashes from the opponent (which he was quite good at, not surprisingly). Not only Shriou could kill those bone figures about 3 times as fast as Saber could, he doesnt seem to get terribly hurt by taking a facial blow from Kuzuki. Remember, he could seriuosly damage servants, while Shriou is mere a human being. That was without Archer's arm transplanted onto his body too, What. You could argue his fists werent magically enhanced or whatever, but they never seem to mention anything like "charging them up" in the game - more of a long lasting spell than something that needs to be reactivated before every battle.

The reason why I no longer bitch about the drawing or characters is that I just about gave up all my hope on those points. But for the very least they could have made it visually pleasing with properly done action sequences. Seriously, I been telling people Shigetsutan Tsukihime hadnt been as much of an flop this series was turning into, and sadly it never managed to snap out of it
frown.gif
Fate anime suffers from apparent lack of proper directing IMO.

To think I was anticipating this to be one of the best shows of all time
rolleyes.gif
Haruhi, on the other hand, is...
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

May 14, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #724 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
I did it again, went to Best Buy and picked up a cheap box set, based only on the way the boxed looked.
eek.gif
It was between 3 sets, all priced below $40, none of which I've ever seen or heard about. Thankfully I chose the correct one, when I returned from my trip and looked up the reviews, the other two were aparently the suck. Thankfully was packing 3 FREE pencil boards, which enchanted me to buy it. If they are including free stuff the anime must be fantastic, right? The prize of my money squandering trip to Best Buy? Stratos 4, a 4 DVD set featuring 13 episodes about 4 Girls fighting swarms of deadly meteors falling directly for earth in rocket firing space ships. Had I known what it was about I probably wouldn't have gone running for it, but it was already here in my house, I might as well watch it. In this series there was a bit of coming-of-age drama. As it starts, the girls are working their hardest to be the clean up crew, a second set of ships that blasts up the pieces after the important guys nails an incoming meteor from further out in space. As the girls progress they find themselves in the middle of a big conspiracy and the series turns to thriller-mode. There's some comedy wrapped in there too, although I wouldn't consider it the main draw.

All the space-craft are inspired and fashioned from real life ships, the setting is modelled after an island near Japan as well. There are a suprising amount of extras on the DVDs, including a number of short episodes of the Japanese VO cast travelling to the island (which was pretty entertaining), four shorts about the different craft represented in the series (this was somewhat interesting), 5 music videos (meh), and a cast commentary.

As the series wraps up there are a few things that feel left unanswered. According to the cast commentary there was an OAV planned but it was either never produced or never made it's way to the U.S.

Anyway a recommended buy: 3.9/5

I think the whole conspiracy thing was not all too clear, to me at least. Plus people allergic to panchira (think Najika) might find this somewhat disturbing. They had a great potential with a typical but interesting setting, featuring a protagonist who is a lackluster apprentice with motivation issues. Too bad that didnt get resolved in the most dramatic way, somewhat dissapointing to be honest.

Personally, I loved the drawing style and characters. Karin still ranks rather high in my moe power ranking
blink.gif
The series doesnt compromise any detail on the planes/ships - much needed in a genre of this nature. Did I mention I ABSOULTELY ADORE the music? Melocure, nuff said
smily_headphones1.gif
Good series, I could pick this as one of my top 20 shows, maybe.
If you liked stratos 4 enough, be sure to check out the OVAs. There are two more coming, one each in May and August.

May 14, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #725 of 6,444
Just finished watching Gundam SEED Destiny, it was OK. I liked the first one better, but some of the gundams in this one look awesome though. I really like the sound track on Destiny as well.

Currently downloading Initial D: Forth Stage...cause theres nothing to watch. Naruto is just fillers...still so that's garbage.

Anyone got any good animes to recommend? I've been hearing a lot about Bleach (sp?) but I hate watching animes that aren't finished yet, because then I'm stuck like Naruto "What HAPPENS!! AHHH I CANT WAIT A WEEK!!"

May 14, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #727 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine
You can watch Bleach to 62 which is when it turns into fillers. That's what I did and I'm perfectly content now to wait until it picks back up.

m

I'n waiting for the fillers to end too. Good thing I have the manga to keep me occupied for now.

May 14, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #728 of 6,444
Me 3... the filler episodes are so boring and they don't really add much to the story at this point.. But they can't deviate from the unwritten rule that the anime can ever pass the manga.. Speaking of which, the last issue of the manga is exciting, I wonder what increase in power will Ishida have and everyone else..

Does anyone out there watch Blood+, Capeta, Tsubasa Chronicles, or Ergo Proxy?

May 14, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #729 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine
You can watch Bleach to 62 which is when it turns into fillers. That's what I did and I'm perfectly content now to wait until it picks back up.

m

You mean it still goes with fillers? It's in episode 79 now. Almost 20 episodes of fillers? You must be kidding. I stopped in episode 62 also because fillers just suck.

May 14, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #730 of 6,444
Just finished finals so it's time to catch up on everything I'm behind on(yes that means HARUHI =P).

I gave up on Blood+ after 7 or 8 eps... it just didn't hold me. Follwing Tsubasa season 2 though. Thank goodness the A-kraze sub of Ergo Proxy is so slow; I don't feel like I'm too far behind at all.

Yeah Patu apparently Bleach is still fillers. 20 eps of fillers isn't really out of the ordinary for the genre
smily_headphones1.gif

m

May 14, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #731 of 6,444
I watched the first episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but my overall reaction was a big "huh?". Blood had horrible pacing and Nana just isn't my cup of tea. Fate Stay night is alright and enjoyable. My favourite anime at the moment is the baseball anime Major 2nd season. Eureka Seven is pretty good, too, but nothing outstanding.

May 15, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #733 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I watched the first episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but my overall reaction was a big "huh?".

The first episode is nothing like the rest of the episodes, keep watching. Also, that first episode might seem much more interesting after you've seen a few more episodes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I finished Monster. AMAZING.

I started Haibane Remei and it looks right up my alley.

Haibane is a wonderful series, one of my all-time favorites.

And Monster is one of those that I never got around to watching, was really busy when it started coming out. Need to remedy that...

May 16, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #734 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
hey, you are not alone (in that how much fun and joy SoS Dan may bring!)... now try utawarerumono, it is the only series of the equal caliber from this season IMO.

i saw one episode and really wasn't into it :shrugs: we'll see as it goes on

i got episode 7 of haruhi, but it had no subtitles. i didn't watch it all, but i'm on my way to learning japanese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back