Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Dec 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #5,702 of 6,444

Quote:
Samurai Champloo and Bakano.

Simple, relaxed, but great quality animes.

Champloo was hilarious. Reading is absolutely important.

Aside from that...

Mashiro-iro finished up today, and boy what an ending. That cute little puffball of a...kitten...mouse...thing really did drive the whole story. A well done story overall for a 12 episode adaptation. Doesn't follow your normal "1st girl always wins" thing either. Ending really does make you go "d'awww" though. Heartwarming is what I'd say.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #5,703 of 6,444
Since Xmas is almost here I wanted to post the Xmas Version of CaramellDansen its catchy and fun and with the Vocaloids in it it makes for a REALLY cute Video!
The first one is in the original Swedish with Miku and company singing Jingle Bells in English at the end. The second is the English version, Hope everybody enjoys!!

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #5,705 of 6,444
Just finished watching a few anime.

First: Boku wa Tomadachi ga Sukanai
The series overall was very enjoyable to watch. The OP and ED were excellent. The story on the other hand wasn't really that good. I guess that it was to be expected from this kind of show, but still I felt that the ending could have been a little more moving. As it was now it was very sweet, but I feel it could have been much better.

Second: Mashiro-Iro Symphony
The story was really good, and not predictable at all. Each individual episode wasn't really that much fun to watch, but the overarching story made it definitely worth watching. In my opinion it could have been a bit more dramatic, and I wouldn't have minded a tear jerker or two.

Third: Un-Go
Definitely one of the best anime this season. The overarching plot is simply excellent and I found that it quite successful as a detective as well. That is, it's merits as a detective are on par with some of the better British detectives I've seen.

Fourth: Toradora Special
Worth watching, but nothing more than a simple OVA

Fifth: Working!! (second season)
Together with Un-Go the best anime this season. I think this is one of the most fun to watch anime I have seen up until now. Not unlike Lucky Star. If you like K-ON! or Lucky Star, then definitely watch this.

Lastly: Bakuman. (first season)
This show is a lot better than I expected. At first I thought that the initial setting made it almost impossible to turn out in a nice way, but in the end I felt that the suspense was incredible at times. I still think the setting is a bit naive (even for a shonen), but other than that I definitely don't regret watching it.

Edited Lastly: C³
This kind of anime isn't really my style, as I'm not much of a fan of the bloody battle scenes. Outside of the battle scenes it was OK, but I think it relied a bit too much on Fear's cuteness. I'm sure there is going to be a second season, but I'm not sure I'm going to watch it.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #5,706 of 6,444
Well now that most of the season is done my final rankings.

in First is obviously Fate/Zero, this is easily one of the greatest things that i have ever had the pleasure of watching on my television. It will be missed sorely till it returns in april :'( tears will be shed, and i even have to wait till march to get to rewatch it in blu ray'y goodness.

in second comes ChihayaFuru tied with Ben-To, both amazing shows as well in their own right, just cant compete with F/Z

in third ive got Guilty Crown and Mirai Nikki. Both solid shows, and tons of fun to watch, but nothing special i wouldnt say.

then in fourth ive got LE Fam of the Silver Wing. Which is worth mentioning as being in my "good" Tier of anime this season, but not as good as the others above.

then ive got all the other riff raff. Maji Koi, Maken-Ki, C3.

And just in the last two days i decided to give MashiroIro Symphony a second shot, becuase of everything that ive read in this thread about it and on irc people saying that it turned out to be pretty awesome. Cuase when i first gave it a shot, i only watched the first episode and it was entirely too freaking generic and trashy, luckily by the very end of the second episode it showed hints if being decent and from then on it was alright. But even though i finished it, it wasnt anything amazing or special, and cant compete with some of the great romance anime at all. i gave it a 3/5 on anime planet.

edit: also, i called which girl would win as soon as she was introduced, or maybe i was just hoping since she was also my favorite ever since she was shown on screen lol

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #5,707 of 6,444
My favorites that started this season would be Un-Go, Chihayafuru, and Fate/Zero. There have been some other good ones I've enjoyed, but I'll just focus on my favorites.

Un-Go's first couple episodes weren't that good, but after that it got better and better. Great dialogue and setting, and it ended pretty well for its short run as well. Chihayafuru is a surprise because nothing in the premise stands out, but it is executed perfectly. The characters are all well fleshed out and they manage to make the game interesting. Fate/Zero obviously has great production values, and though a little slow (nothing definitive happening in the first half,) the dialogue is great and the setup means the second half should be great.

From shows that started in Summer and are ending now Mawaru Penguindrum and The IdolM@ster stand out. Mawaru Penguindrum ended up being pretty haphazard in its execution towards the end, but it was always interesting and entertaining to me. The finale was fairly satisfying as well and it's a show that just left an impression for me, even though I probably wouldn't rate it that highly. The IdolM@ster ended up being a surprise. Just a guilty pleasure for the first half, the last 6 episodes or so really drew me in. Nothing spectacular, but a fun show that was really well done and had a good payoff if you liked any of the characters.

For Winter I'm really looking forward to Nisemonogatari since I loved Bakemonogatari. Also interested in Another, Amagami, Mouretsu Pirates, Aquarion Evol, and Ano Natsu de Matteru for various reasons.

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #5,708 of 6,444
Chihayafuru!
Darn how could I have forgotten that one.

I didn't expect a lot of this show, but later on the suspense was almost killing me. In my opinion it was definitely not the best show this season, but it was alright.

But it's not finished yet, right? Nothing much has happened between Arata and Chihaya yet, and I do expect that to happen later on.
According to AnimeNewNetwork there is going to be a new episode next week.

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #5,709 of 6,444
I've heard Chihayafuru is supposed to be 25 episodes, but I'm not sure on that one. If it is it'll be interesting to see what the second half is about though. The pacing has been super quick and I doubt they'll draw Nationals out that long.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #5,710 of 6,444
I also happened to spend some time last night making up a top list of the year, i really wanted a top 10, but nothing else was good enough to be on a top list i didnt think.

1. Fate/Zero
2. Hanasaku Iroha
3. Ben-To
4. Mawaru Penguindrum
5. Ano Hana
6. Chihayafuru
7. Kamisama Dolls
8. Gosick
9. Usagi Drop

lots of super good shows this year.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #5,711 of 6,444
I also happened to spend some time last night making up a top list of the year, i really wanted a top 10, but nothing else was good enough to be on a top list i didnt think.

1. Fate/Zero
2. Hanasaku Iroha
3. Ben-To
4. Mawaru Penguindrum
5. Ano Hana
6. Chihayafuru
7. Kamisama Dolls
8. Gosick
9. Usagi Drop

lots of super good shows this year.

A great year indeed. Especially considering that it's my very first year of watching anime.
It started with Neon Genesis in February. 10 months later I have almost breached the 1,200 episode mark.

If I were to rank the stuff from 2011 I watched, then it'd look something like this:

1. Ano Hana
2. Steins;Gate
3. Un-Go
4. Ben-To
5. Working!!
6. Usagi Drop
7. Mahou Shoujo
8. Mashiro-Iro
9. Haganai
10. C³

Funnily enough I have watched exactly 10 shows from 2011, so it works out perfectly for a top 10.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #5,712 of 6,444
Finished Squid Girl S2, and still was very much entertained by it and was happy how it ended up.  Sure, the character development wasn't stellar or anything, but it was still an enjoyable and heartfelt series.  Wagnaria S2 I also enjoyed, but probably not so much as I liked Squid Girl.  It was entertaining, to be sure, but didn't quite really hit the "aww shucks" factor as much.

Also finished watching the Read or Die Blu-Rays recently.  I liked the OVA quite a bit, and enjoyed the TV series but liked the former better.  I think the TV series ended up kinda pushing some frustration buttons with me in just how messed up things would get, and it didn't let up very often.  I also liked a bunch of the characters, but didn't really feel to compelled by it (liked Yomiko's character from the OVA better) so the OVA seemed to work better for me.  Still both good shows, however.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #5,713 of 6,444
Give me season 3 of Working!! ANYTIME! 
L3000.gif

JUST have to see what the new Season holds! I am enjoying the season of Last Exile still along with the Final Shana,
since the novels ended in October we are going to get REAL ending! 
beyersmile.png

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #5,714 of 6,444
Give me season 3 of Working!! ANYTIME! 
L3000.gif

JUST have to see what the new Season holds! I am enjoying the season of Last Exile still along with the Final Shana,
since the novels ended in October we are going to get REAL ending! 
beyersmile.png

I didn't even know a third season has been announced yet, but if it is then I'm definitely looking forward to it. :)
Let's hope Poplar stays as short (and kawaii) as she has been before. :p

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #5,715 of 6,444

Quote:
I didn't even know a third season has been announced yet, but if it is then I'm definitely looking forward to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let's hope Poplar stays as short (and kawaii) as she has been before.
tongue.gif

I'd be up for a third season too!

And given how the series tends to like to keep the status quo, I doubt Poplar is going to grow significantly or anything anytime soon.  ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back