any amp that would bring hd650 close to lcd2??
Oct 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #16 of 29
In my personal experience the LCD2 is quite amp dependent. I did not like the LCD2.1 under amped. To give you an idea, the first amp I heard them with was the Gilmore Lite. I was quite disappointed in the combo. Plus I would bet the GLite is more powerful than the FiiO. I know the LCD2.1 did not sound well with my FiiO E5. I've since heard the LCD2 on quite a few amps and they scale up well.

I've also heard the HD650 with my share of amps. One of the best combos was with the Gilmore Lite. It opened up the treble a bit and tightened up the bass. It didn't get rid of the mid bass hump but did the best it could with what the HD650 has to offer.

I've always been an advocate of having a properly balanced rig. It will give the best performance within your budget. The system is truly only as good as it's weakest link.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 29
Flagship headphones are really expensive and so with flagship amps and flagship sources. Simply start it by buying first Flagship headphone like LCD2, which seems to be very nice according to so many users here. Then sacrifice a bit by using it only in a cheap amp. Then, if you have the savings already, you can already buy a flagship amp....and then flagship source.
biggrin.gif

Save and save and save and get the best sound you can. Enjoy the trip to audiophile bliss!
biggrin.gif

Word of the day: Flagship
biggrin.gif

YAVALP :\

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #18 of 29
The HD650's don't have the sound attributes you want so sell them and get some headphones that are better in those areas.

Using an amp to compensate for faults in the headphones presentation is never a good idea because the amp is likely only going to be good with another headphone that sounds similar to the HD650's.
Also don't believe the hype that the HD650's scale well either. Every headphone in existance will improve with better source/amplification it is not just the domain of the HD650's. I had a pair and I tried various amps including my current Woo6se and silver & copper aftermarket cables but they never improved THAT much. The only thing I did not do is try them balanced because I had already decided to sell them by the time I got my balanced amp.

My recomendation is to buy a s/h LCD-2, plenty around at the moment, they are not difficult to drive and get a better amp when you can afford it.

Don't build your system around its weakest link

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #19 of 29
The HD650's don't have the sound attributes you want so sell them and get some headphones that are better in those areas.

Using an amp to compensate for faults in the headphones presentation is never a good idea because the amp is likely only going to be good with another headphone that sounds similar to the HD650's.
Also don't believe the hype that the HD650's scale well either. Every headphone in existance will improve with better source/amplification it is not just the domain of the HD650's. I had a pair and I tried various amps including my current Woo6se and silver & copper aftermarket cables but they never improved THAT much. The only thing I did not do is try them balanced because I had already decided to sell them by the time I got my balanced amp.

My recomendation is to buy a s/h LCD-2, plenty around at the moment, they are not difficult to drive and get a better amp when you can afford it.

I don't disagree with you at all. In my post above I was just trying to maximize the potential of both the LCD2 and HD650. Of course if you don't like the basic sound signature of either of them then no matter what you do with an amp you can't change that.

Improperly amping can, however, kind of "squash" the sound signature of a headphone. I believe amp synergy is key for getting the best out of a "phone. In my opinion an overly warm tube amp does not play well with the HD650. I felt a solid state amp like the GLite offered the best sound for the Senn.

So even though an amp can't make a headphone something they're not, a properly matched amp can help make them the best they can be.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
guys..please take it easy on me, i just tried the lcd-2 yesterday..and i was really blown away by them.. however, my budget is really stretched for it..i'm afraid i would be restricted to extremely budget amplification and source if i were to build an lcd-2 based system.. so, after reading here and there..seems that the hd650 are similar and would scale very well with amplification..

what i'm afraid is that some people and reviews state that the hd650 is 'slow' or boring'..and my primary genre is rock, so perhaps you could suggest me any amps and dacs that could lift the veil of 650 (does it really exist?) and make it's bass tight and fast.. i've done my homework so please see if i'm going in the right direction, and tell me which is the best.. my budget is around 8000HKD or roughly uS$1000, including the headphones..
1. Used gilmore lite + DAC (suggest please.. perhaps HRT music streamer ii??)
2.  commissioned M3 + cheaper DAC
3. schiit asgard+bifrost
4. dacmini
all with used hd650 (a pair of new hd650 is around $500 here in HK, so i think its better to buy used for around $300)

or.....

5. LCD2+ fiio e10 
yes i know the last one is a  cheapskate on the amplification..but at least one review from headfonia stated that they're a good combo..http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/

i don't know which direction should i go.. any suggestion?? i just want to try to make good use of my money here..lol

If you really prefer the LCD2, you are better off with the LCD2 and a modest amp. The LCD2 is less picky about amps than the HD650. The HD650 can do better. (I don't know what you are driving the HD650 with now - you should fill out your profile.) I would recommend that you audition a dynalo or Gilmore Lite. Also look for an used EHHA. The nice thing about these amps is that they will also drive the LCD2 well in case you ever want to step up in future.

Also consider a Benchmark DAC1 with its headphone out. You may be surprised.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #21 of 29
If you really prefer the LCD2, you are better off with the LCD2 and a modest amp. The LCD2 is less picky about amps than the HD650. The HD650 can do better. (I don't know what you are driving the HD650 with now - you should fill out your profile.) I would recommend that you audition a dynalo or Gilmore Lite. Also look for an used EHHA. The nice thing about these amps is that they will also drive the LCD2 well in case you ever want to step up in future.

Also consider a Benchmark DAC1 with its headphone out. You may be surprised.

I'm sorry but I must disagree with the LCD2/Gilmore Lite match. When I first listened to the LCD2.1, I heard it with the GLite+DPS and did not like it. I felt the soundstaging collapsed with that amp. I'm a big fan of the GLite and just felt it didn't gel with the Audeze. Another solid state amp like the M^3 I thought was much better.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
I'm sorry but I must disagree with the LCD2/Gilmore Lite match. When I first listened to the LCD2.1, I heard it with the GLite+DPS and did not like it. I felt the soundstaging collapsed with that amp. I'm a big fan of the GLite and just felt it didn't gel with the Audeze. Another solid state amp like the M^3 I thought was much better.

Nevermind. The OP should just get the LCD2 and a cheap amp. The HD650 needs a certain type of amp (starting from at least $1200) for it to start "scaling."

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #23 of 29
Nevermind. The OP should just get the LCD2 and a cheap amp. The HD650 needs a certain type of amp (starting from at least $1200) for it to start "scaling."

Sarcasm aside, I thought the Gilmore Lite was a great match for the HD650 if you like it's sound signature. Those can be found for about $250 or so without the DPS on the sales forum with regular frequency. I just didn't think the LCD2.1 did well with the GLite.

Apparently the Lyr for $450 is a good match for the LCD2.1 and LCD2.2. I won't argue that since I haven't heard the Lyr with the either. I have heard the Lyr with the HE500 though. So the need for a $1k+ amp to get good sound from the Audeze doesn't seem to be an absolute. But it does scale well as I've heard the LCD2.1 on several amps as I know you have as well. Based on the comments I've read of yours I think you agree also.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 29
The Lyr is quite capable (just not really good or great) with the LCD2 (and many other headphones.) I like the Lyr better than the Burson. I don't care for a lot for the sub $800 amps outside of DIY, but that's because I'm spoiled.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 29
The Lyr is quite capable (just not really good or great) with the LCD2 (and many other headphones.) I like the Lyr better than the Burson. I don't care for a lot for the sub $800 amps outside of DIY, but that's because I'm spoiled.

My beta22 is still one of the best amps I've heard and certainly one of the best solid state amps. I've spent time with the b22 and the LCD2.1 and I can tell you it's a very good match. Sure the beta22 is a great match for the HD650, but if it's your sole headphone, it might be a bit of overkill. lol

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #26 of 29
Yeah - I wasn't going to recommend the beta22 to the OP for the HD650. It seemed over the allotted budget.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #27 of 29
umm..actually i do not have the 650..i have only just tried the lcd-2, and at that time i thought that they're too expensive.. so i was reading about hps that are cheaper but similar to lcd-2.. ok, thanks everyone for your reccomendation.. i think i'm gonna look for a used lcd-2 and find a budget amp for it.. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 29
[size=10pt]Hello there. I was just going to suggest something to consider. If you are looking at Lcd  rev.1 get a pair manufactured towards the end May 2011 versus earlier. In terms of weight it makes a huge difference. Not sure about the rev2 but might work too[/size]
[size=10pt]Cheers[/size]

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #29 of 29

Quote:
.. just get the LCD2. Amping can be found later. And the LCD2 is very easy to drive. A good portable amp can drive the LCD2 easily. I use mine with the C&C X02 (around $250 US) and the RSA Mustang. But you can get away with the FiiO E9 which you can get for a little over $100. 

LCD 2 was voted by Mochan.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
YAVALP :\

Thank you for your support baka1969. Thank you for being always there with me.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Here we go, LCD 2.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Nevermind. The OP should just get the LCD2 and a cheap amp.

Another LCD 2.
biggrin.gif

Save for LCD 2 now!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back