Any Amp Recommendations? [for MB Quart]
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DocHamm

500+ Head-Fier
Update: Are there amp recommendations for any home amp that has decent power? I've researched several but comments on output power are either limited or vague. I'd really appreciate any information.

I need advice and recommendations on a headphone amp for MB Quart 55x phones. I got a good deal on a pair of 55x's [and loving them!], only they are awfully hard to drive. They run on my Adcom CD, but I have to turn the volume up considerably high, higher than I perfer or higher than with any of my other phones.

I don't want a portable amp, unless it can also be used with a regular power source. I've been told that some units with manufacturer installed rechargeables are not designed for constant wall source power and I'd prefer to avoid any of those issues. I already have a portable and will probably sell it soon, as I don't use it much anymore.

I don't like wal-warts, but I'll live with one if both the amp and price are good. I am starting to feel overloaded with all the wal-warts around here now.

I prefer solid-state, but if quality/cost is reasonable, I *might* consider a tube amp. I'd actually prefer to have inter-changeable opamps than tubes.

I don't need a dac, but if the price is really good I'd consider a combo unit, in which case I'd want multiple connection options.

I want a unit with good output from my computer or CD player. I spend more time with my PC now, so I am slowing gearing that up and the home system down. I may move and have to down-size, so if my stereo has to go, at least I can have good PC sound.

I listen to just about all kinds of music, but more so electronic, jazz, rock, acoustic, new-age and classical.

I've noticed folks here ask about budget, so if I must put a box around this question, the box is $400.

I appreciate any and all information and opinions offered. I'm especially curious to know what other MB Quart head-fiers are using in their setups.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 6
I use my 55x with everything in my profile, although the box+ has to be turned way up to run them,but it sounds good anyway.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my 55x with everything in my profile, although the box+ has to be turned way up to run them,but it sounds good anyway.

In another thread you said your shellbrook mini moy was driving your 55x's. I'm curious what your volume setting is because my shellbrook has a hard time driving these phones. I like the shellbrook, but I'm hard pressed to believe a cMoy-ish amp being capable of properly powering the 55x's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back