Any advice on buying iPod Touch?
Sep 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 31
Your iPhone 4 is defective then.

I can't even reach volumes high enough to cause distortion on my W4 or ER-4P straight off the jack without fear of permanently causing hearing damage. The signal is clean and neutral for both of these low impedance headphones, and I've never once had distortion from any iPhones generation 1- 4 at reasonable listening volumes. On both iems, my volume is set comfortable between 33-37%.

I think a lot of people want to hate on iPods/iPhones, because they wanna hate on Apple, and that's not a good enough reason to discredit the quality of their music players. Also, I've heard a couple of a different sources by different makers now, and honestly, they're all PRETTY darn good sounding. I can't remember the last MP3 player in the last 5 years that I can recall thinking that it sounded like crap.

Quote:
Well then I don't know what to tell you. On my iPhone4 it's definitely distorted - and it's supposed to be even better than the iTouch4 in IMD. Then there's also a severe roll-off and lack of definition in bass frequencies because it can't supply enough current for them on low-impedance phones (and doesn't have the power for high-impedance ones to begin with).

It's impossible to miss.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #17 of 31
Hello Manyak,

I have listened to a few iDevices and have never encountered these problems. Out of curiosity, what headphones were you using that caused these problems..?

Thanks

Right now Triple.Fi's, JH-16's, and Sennheiser CX-380's. Though with the Senns I only hear a difference with very specific songs.

Your iPhone 4 is defective then.

I can't even reach volumes high enough to cause distortion on my W4 or ER-4P straight off the jack without fear of permanently causing hearing damage. The signal is clean and neutral for both of these low impedance headphones, and I've never once had distortion from any iPhones generation 1- 4 at reasonable listening volumes. On both iems, my volume is set comfortable between 33-37%.

I think a lot of people want to hate on iPods/iPhones, because they wanna hate on Apple, and that's not a good enough reason to discredit the quality of their music players. Also, I've heard a couple of a different sources by different makers now, and honestly, they're all PRETTY darn good sounding. I can't remember the last MP3 player in the last 5 years that I can recall thinking that it sounded like crap.

Believe me I'm not bashing Apple just for the hell of it, to me they're just another company (although I do enjoy bashing people who worship them, but that's different :p). I've owned an iPhone for years now - it's my favorite phone and I have no intention of changing it. Still, I don't use that jack.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 31
Maybe it is your files?

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 31
I use the classic 7G for daily use - it's pretty good from the HP out. I give it a "Happy". If it had a custom EQ and Cowon's Mach3Bass or Sony's ClearBass I'd give it a "Very Happy!".

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #21 of 31
I've just taken the wife's iPhone for a test drive, and am pleasantly impressed. No hiss with my 1964-Q customs at all (aside from hiss on the actual recording). I can understand why some people say it sounds dry, though the distinction for me wasn't a big one. On the other hand, the iPhone's soundstage is noticeably wider than my J3s. It's just a "bigger" sound -- great for trance and classical.

Does the iTouch 4G use the same sound chip? If it does, I'm definitely going to get it. I doubt I'll wait for the 5G. I don't really need the camera or faster net connection as I'll mainly be using for apps and music. Oh, and thanks to whoever recommended the eQu app. That's a good idea.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
I've just taken the wife's iPhone for a test drive, and am pleasantly impressed. No hiss with my 1964-Q customs at all (aside from hiss on the actual recording). I can understand why some people say it sounds dry, though the distinction for me wasn't a big one. On the other hand, the iPhone's soundstage is noticeably wider than my J3s. It's just a "bigger" sound -- great for trance and classical.

Does the iTouch 4G use the same sound chip? If it does, I'm definitely going to get it. I doubt I'll wait for the 5G. I don't really need the camera or faster net connection as I'll mainly be using for apps and music. Oh, and thanks to whoever recommended the eQu app. That's a good idea.

Yes, it's the same everything. If you like iPhone then you'll like the iTouch :)

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:

"Equalizer" app > "EQu" app

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
"Equalizer" app > "EQu" app

Ah, sounds like I should get both then. All the more apps to play with
gs1000.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #26 of 31
I posted before in this thread, and I do really like my Touch. I have had a Touch from about the time they came out. The interface is grand. I still like the sound better though an I-Pod Mini after being Rockboxed. The sound is more robust. A lot of the sound quality could be just sounding louder in a way. I was fully amazed at playing 16-44.1 Rockboxed through a set of AH-D 7000s! I would think most would agree but really sound signature is very personal. I posted that I am happy with my I-Pod but it's not from the sound quality.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
I posted before in this thread, and I do really like my Touch. I have had a Touch from about the time they came out. The interface is grand. I still like the sound better though an I-Pod Mini after being Rockboxed. The sound is more robust. A lot of the sound quality could be just sounding louder in a way. I was fully amazed at playing 16-44.1 Rockboxed through a set of AH-D 7000s! I would think most would agree but really sound signature is very personal. I posted that I am happy with my I-Pod but it's not from the sound quality.

I had a RB Mini for a little while, and it was indeed a very loud player. To my ears, though, I had to spend a lot of time tweaking the EQ to find what I considered to be the right sound....but like you say, everyone's ears are different.

My 4th-gen Touch, on the other hand, with the right headphones sounds excellent....and if you don't have the right headphones, Equalizer works wonders.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #28 of 31
I agree it is all in the combo. I have never really got into EQ though everyone rants about Apple with EQ! I guess I should try it.

I don't even use the Rockbox EQ.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #29 of 31
iPod Touches are not abuse friendly at all. The back is so easily scratched, you HAVE to buy a soft case for it. Not the best value if its simply a music player. Although as a multimedia device, nothing even comes close to the Touch .

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #30 of 31
OK, I caved and finally got an 4G iTouch, 64GB. I've heard rumours of the 5G, but figure I don't really need 3G wireless and a better camera. The unit arrived last night, but I haven't been able to check it out because of the typhoon and today being a verrrry busy day at work. (So I shouldn't be on head-fi 
biggrin.gif
)

Once I get round to trying it out -- probably in the weekend -- I'll post my first impressions.

I agree with Redcarmoose, btw. I went through a stage of constant EQing on my J3, but then just reverted to normal. Now I mostly use my R-boxed Clip+, and have never EQ'd it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back