Any ~$100 player with digital out?
Nov 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RipD

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to find a decent portable player to replace my phone (Moto android). if possible, I'd like something that has digital out so I can upgrade to a better dac/amp combo in the future. Perhaps I'm missing it, but can't seem to find this. I'm using 16/44 Flac files for my media. 

The Sansa Clips look great for the price. Not sure if they are significantly better than my phone. But for $25 it's worth a try. They have no digital out as far as I can tell. The Colorfly looks better - also no digital out that I can see. 

What are people generally using as a source for their portable DACs? 

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 4
First the Sans Clip will probably be better than your phone. I haven't used the Moto that you have but I have a Sans Clip and I have Rockbox on it and it has a very nice sound. Very clean especially when compared to a phone. I wouldn't recomend it if you are going to be upgrading to some nicer DACs in the near future. 

I use an Ipod classic 5.5 Rockboxed and it supports Flac, the Ipod won't support Flac using Apple software though. Using a Line out you can then throw it through a DAC. I've seen some of these players at Gamestop for under $100. I use the Ipod with a LOD to my Fiio E07K Andes and in my opinion it sounds much better. 

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back