Anxiously awaiting my SuperMacro IV
Jun 11, 2006 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

aufeuer

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first venture into the amped headphone world. This will be primarily used to drive my Alessandro MS2i from a variety of sources. I think Xin's shipping this with either OPA2134 or OP275. Does anyone have experience with this combo before, and would anyone comment on this? I need something that will tide me through this long wait.
rolleyes.gif

Oh, this will also be used to drive my other headphones: Grado SR125, KSC75 and Senn PX100.
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 13
Or at least, does anyone have experience with the MS2i with any incarnation of the SuperMacro?

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Sorry I don't have experience with those headphones, but I will say you should be very happy with your amp. My Supermacro is off being repaired and I can't wait for it to be shipped back to me. This coming from someone who was concerned that I had got myself drawn into buying one and began to think myself crazy for spening almost $1k on portable music. My wife was not too happy, but one night I let her listen to the last three songs on the LOTR CD Return of the King and she sat back-closed her eyes and at some point began to cry from the intense emotion and beauty she was hearing. She has never complained since. I wish my ears were as fresh as hers!

I started with MX 400 earbuds, then Ety ER4P, DT770-80 then AKG K24P. The amp makes each one of them shine for different kinds of music through changing the opamps. Only problem is he keeps improving the amp so I always want to get the latest and greatest. Sounds like the current version is superb, so enjoy!

Today is my office day and I'm listening to music on my computer with my Beyers and after spending an hour trying to get the equalizer right through Media Player it still sounds like crap. Now, I am thinking of a dedicated desktop CD/DAC combo to go with my amp. What has happened to me??

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 13
I have listened to my RS-1 and GS1000 via my Supermacro III Version 6 and love the sound. The OP amps have been the AD8397 and the OPA2134 w/ buffers.

At first I preferred the AD8387, but a few months later I tried the OPA2134 and have fallen in love with it. Good luck.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 13
Agh! The wait is killing me!
eek.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 13
Me too. Just got my Imod ,cable, rechargeables and giga bag. Any idea how long it will be? I ordered mine a week ago.

I am considering starting a thread for anyone interested in renting a portable amp to me. Honestly

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The wait for Xin amps is infamous. I waited 5 weeks for my SuperMini-3 last year, no joke. So hang in there guys, it'll get to you eventually!

Well my bank account has been charged already. Does that say anything?
confused.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aufeuer
Well my bank account has been charged already. Does that say anything?
confused.gif

Well no it doesn't, but that's what Xin does on CC-based PayPal.

Rest assured though you'll get your amp eventually. He's purported to be extremely reliable by his supporters over at fixup.net, it just takes time that's all. If he were a scammer the Head-Fi pack would be on him like it is on Shellbrook Audio.
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Once in a while, one waits for a very long time to receive amp and to hear from Xin.

That's just the way it is.
rolleyes.gif

Have we all forgotten the 2005 Holiday rush and LONG, LONG WAIT and his long mysterious disappearance (server problems and too many orders to fill and not enough Xins).

It took 4-16 weeks for some to receive amps or e-mail replies.

He's usually too busy making or fixing amps, or just researching and perfecting the next big thing just like the III and now the IV series of SM amps. There is never going to be a FINAL model or version (I hope), he may never change his way of doing things, and there will always be issues about shipments, replies, and of course, "upgrades".

For me, I really like Xin, his amps, his supporters, and his forum. He's a good guy, and I'm a customer for life.

But, it is what it is.

(Especially because I can't live without opamp swapping, four feature switches, sound quality, and tiny small size. Oh bass boost how I love thy beautiful switch
basshead.gif
).

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 13
I'm wondering is anyone is considering upgrading their SM3 V6 to a SM4. I'm tempted...

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I'm wondering is anyone is considering upgrading their SM3 V6 to a SM4. I'm tempted...

I want to get the new SM4, but first I need to sell the AE-1 (for sale in the amp section). I will also need to sell my SM3V6 but I can't let go! It sounds so good (OPA2134 with High-C Buffers).
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back