Ants in my Stax: should I worry?
May 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

mwilson

Ants in my Stax
Nobody will blame you for laughing it off, and if this qualifies as the moronic post of the year, so be it.

We live in South Florida; when rain is abundant, ants will inevitably find their way inside the house for a brief period. Yes, we have pest control service, and they've already been out, but this time the ants decided to roam all over my hifi rack. Not too many, but enough to catch my attention. I've wiped off what I could, but every once in a while I still see one right under the grille of my SR-009. I've since relocated the phones, but the question is whether I should worry about anything, such as an ant getting stuck between the diaphragm and the stators, etc.

I haven't listened to them since, just in case.

Thoughts?

May 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 106
Three thoughts: no thoughts on what could free your Stax; wishing you the best; will certainly follow your case with interest and may learn something.

May 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 106
Maybe you could post more info about the ants. Sugar ants (usually very small) look for food and water, removing them from an area is pretty straight forward with traps. Most traps are just bait that is carried back to the nest where it poisons the colony. Diaphragms in all the stax and variants I've seen are sealed; dust covers. While some insects will eat glue I think the only ants that are known for destruction are the carpenter variety.
I'd be more concerned if they massed in the thousands in a effort to carry the earspeakers away. Kidding aside, a small can of dust off wouldn't hurt, held upright so just air comes out and not propellant which sometimes happens in liquid form.

May 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 106
Thanks. Yes, they're sugar ants. I think baiting them will work. I'm a bit afraid to try compressed air. So far I've seen 1 ant behind the grille; don't know if it's the same one that keeps popping out, but I've blown off a couple from the headband and another 2 or so from the cord.

We only have ant problems after several days of heavy rain, and they go back out afterwards on their own. It's just that I've never seen them on the phones before. I hope the gel inside the pads isn't what they're after.

May 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 106
For safety's sake, I would keep Stax in a large zip-lock bag anyway, especially if I lived in a humid environment, or under the actual Stax cover.  

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Stax/product/Stax_Earspeaker_Protection_Cover.html

$26 for some peace of mind.

Don't they come in a flight case, like the Omegas and 4070s?

Anywho:

I'd try the dust-off, might try a vacuum cleaner on reverse if you have it (no chance of propellant), if you're really adventurous try taking the grilles off and see what you get there.

Some other thoughts:

- Have you taken the pads off and checked them?

- I giggled a bit at the title and more when I read the thread.

Really wishing you the best; would be a horrible cause of death for something so expensive. :xf_eek:

May 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 106
They are kept under a Stax bag on a Woo stand. It's quite dry inside the house, no more than 50% humidity. The ants got to the phone via the cord.

May 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 106
Please don't vacuum your drivers

I meant "backwards" - where the vacuum is used to blow air (many canister vacuums can do this). Would this be dangerous? :xf_eek:

This is how I generate "air" to clear dust from lots of things (I've never needed to do this to headphones); it doesn't (to the hand) apply more pressure than an air duster can, but it also doesn't risk the freezing spray of doom.

May 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 106
Yeah, I knew what you meant by backwards. Still, a bit uncomfortable doing to. I'll take another day or so baiting them out. So far, no ant in sight since this morning. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed.

Quote:
I meant "backwards" - where the vacuum is used to blow air (many canister vacuums can do this). Would this be dangerous?
redface.gif

This is how I generate "air" to clear dust from lots of things (I've never needed to do this to headphones); it doesn't (to the hand) apply more pressure than an air duster can, but it also doesn't risk the freezing spray of doom.

May 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 106
Quote:
I meant "backwards" - where the vacuum is used to blow air (many canister vacuums can do this). Would this be dangerous?
redface.gif

It's equally stupid.  Forced air of any kind and sub 1um plastic films do not mix despite their tensile strength. 

May 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 106
It's equally stupid.  Forced air of any kind and sub 1um plastic films do not mix despite their tensile strength. 

He didn't mean any harm :)
But now we know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back